Playa Del Carmen | The Boneyard

Playa Del Carmen

Reaction Score
What was I thinking from that Ohio thread? That's in the dumps.

Found a great deal for the Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen for $650 for three nights. Not all-inclusive, but my wife doesn't drink and I'm not much of a drinker myself, so lately I've been more privy to non-all-inclusive deals.

The plan is to fly into Cancun and rent a car for the time we're there.

First time in Mexico, can't wait. What's your experiences at Playa del Carmen? Worth driving down to Tulum for a night or two? How's crime in both cities/highways (safe to drive highways at daytime?), etc?

Gracias.

Reaction Score
I stayed at an all-inclusive halfway between Cancun and Tulum about 10 years ago. We rented a car to get around, which was fine - it was brand new but like a 1992 model. We did day trips to Tulum and Coba and everything was safe. I think the resort was south of PDC and more quiet/remote - PDC has a serious spring break vibe.

Reaction Score
It’s nice. I was in Cancun last week and have been to all playa del Carmen before. Don’t worry about crime. Only thing to worry about in that regard is the beef between the taxi unions and Uber drivers. Just be smart and respectful and everything will be good. Next time try México city. It’s my favorite city I have visited.

Reaction Score

Found a great deal for the Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen for $650 for three nights. Not all-inclusive, but my wife doesn't drink and I'm not much of a drinker myself, so lately I've been more privy to non-all-inclusive deals.

First time in Mexico, can't wait. What's your experiences at Playa del Carmen? Worth driving down to Tulum for a night or two? How's crime in both cities/highways (safe to drive highways at daytime?), etc?

Gracias.

My in-laws go to that area 3x a year and I've been a few times... no expert though.

Beaches are overwhelmingly lame all over the Yucatan. Just stay by the pool, eat food, and relax.

I found renting and driving a car easy even though I don't speak Spanish.

If you're into history, the ruins at Tulum are pretty cool. I liked them better than Chichen Itza because of the proximity to the water. Pretty unique spot. Tulum is full of wannabe influencers looking for a decent picture for Insta, so I'd really avoid the beach area if you can (unless you're 22, attractive, and looking to make a buck, of course). I enjoyed wandering around Tulum town (away from the beach) much more than the beaches in Tulum.

I'd consider a day trip to Isla de Mujeres, Chichen Itza and/or the cenotes if any of them look interesting to you as well. I'm not a big beach or swimming guy, so I always err towards the historical sites.

The Yucatan peninsula is incredibly safe if you aren't drinking too much, doing drugs (or probably a solo female). Biggest issue could be taxi drivers trying to rip you off, but you'll have a car anyways. Mexico has a HUGE incentive to work to keep that area safe--a ton of their tax $$$ comes from the area.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Was there years ago at an all inclusive. Had a nice time. Unless things have changed, you might be swarmed by time share sales people beginning at the airport, although i think the time share plans arent so popular, sold mine a few years ago.

As mentioned both Tulum and Chinchen Itza are worth it except i remember having to pass through a gauntlet of vendors selling souvenir junk on the walkway in to Chinchen Itza Confession, I bought one of my favorite T shirts there.

Rented a car for part of the stay, worked fine. If i recall they tended to use speed bumps to sliw traffic instead if stop signs.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I dive the cenotes in that area every 6 months or so. We rent a car from EasyWay ▷ Cancun Car Rental 【 Easy Way 】 ➞ Cancun Airport Car Rental. We've found they are easier than Hertz or any of the others and they pick you up and drop you off from the airport. Traffic around the airport is bad as they are working on the roads, so plan on extra time returning the car. No issues driving around at all. Crime can be worse around Tulum but mostly due to the late night club life is what I've heard. The hotels and Playa are relatively safe. You will see the army and police presence. It's common sense, stay in the tourist areas, avoid the city of Cancun and late night clubs on the beach in Tulum. If you're staying in a resort Tulum is fine, I wouldn't stay in the city, there's not much there, although the ruins are worth visiting. There's no deal on tequila so avoid the stores. Some local crafts is about it for Tulum.
It's worth visiting some of the cenotes as they can be unique. The water is generally cold and clear. If you dive and are experienced a cavern dive can be an amazing experience - the cenotes and caves are world class. Separate conversation so pm me if interested.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Went several years ago and stayed at the Fairmont Mayaoba Thought it was worth going to the ruins, but we like history. We went to Coba instead of Tulum. Playa del Carmen was ok, had breakfast there, but stuck with the hotel restaurants for dinner. Crime is probably a bigger concern now. We also went to Xcaret and while I had some doubts, it was terrific. Xplor may work better for you, comparison here. No concerns with safety at the beach at the hotel, it was private. But the pools were so nice, and the wind and surf rough enough, that we mostly enjoyed the pools.

Reaction Score
Beaches are overwhelmingly lame all over the Yucatan. Just stay by the pool, eat food, and relax.
uhhh, I have pictures of some of the best beaches in the world from the Yucatan, and I've been all over the Caribbean and SE Asia.

When we went to Punta Allen, we had incredibly clear aquamarine water, fine sand, very few people on it. It was glorious.

I've been to Playa del Carmen 2x, once in the early 90s when it was a sleepy fishing town, and a decade later when there was a huge amount of construction. It blew up.

A decent daytrip from del Carmen is the snorkeling at Xel-Ha.

Reaction Score
uhhh, I have pictures of some of the best beaches in the world from the Yucatan, and I've been all over the Caribbean and SE Asia.

There's a reason people go to the Yucatan and stay at the pool. The sargassum is disgusting. You could roll up to a beautiful beach, or a literal garbage pit depending on the day and hour.

To be fair, I hate the beach in general. It's hot, gross, and pointless as a whole.

Reaction Score

Gracias.
I went a long time ago and liked it, did Chichen Itza and Tulum. My buddy and his wife have pretty much made Playa their second home, down their constantly and love it. They're in Playa right now and will probably retire there, big ex pat community. They are lay by the pool people at the resort but they also go about in town and eat with the locals.

Reaction Score
It’s nice. I was in Cancun last week and have been to all playa del Carmen before. Don’t worry about crime. Only thing to worry about in that regard is the beef between the taxi unions and Uber drivers. Just be smart and respectful and everything will be good. Next time try México city. It’s my favorite city I have visited.
México City is also my favorite. I haven't been to too many places but that's an awesome city.

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
If you're into fishing, hiking, surfing, boating, cycling, you might consider the West coast. Blue Pacific or the Sea of Cortez. $1 tacos, fancy meal for $15/. Wonderful coastal cities not far from Guadalajara (wonderful-has the second largest US Social Security office in the world).

I live in Mexico. A little town in the Baja. Like rural America in the 30's-50's. Not telling you where because US citizens are moving to MX in droves. Permanent visas more than doubling every year. Never lived in a safer, healthier, chill place. Only go back North if I absolutely have to.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
There’s also a place called Xel Ha near Tulum. It’s like an outdoor water amusement park almost.

You can swim with dolphins, swim in sinkholes, rides, all inclusive food and drinks if you do decide to, snorkeling, and all that good stuff. Most resorts may be able to setup transportation there and even give you a discount if you do one of those timeshare tours.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There’s also a place called Xel Ha near Tulum. It’s like an outdoor water amusement park almost.

You can swim with dolphins, swim in sinkholes, rides, all inclusive food and drinks if you do decide to, snorkeling, and all that good stuff. Most resorts may be able to setup transportation there and even give you a discount if you do one of those timeshare tours.

Yeah, that's another one among a few, Xel-Ha Xcaret and Xplor are all different flavors of the same thing. Tropical eco-park. It's worth looking into all of them to see what best fits what you like to do. I was pleasantly surprised how much we enjoyed it.

Reaction Score
Went several years ago and stayed at the Fairmont Mayaoba Thought it was worth going to the ruins, but we like history. We went to Coba instead of Tulum. Playa del Carmen was ok, had breakfast there, but stuck with the hotel restaurants for dinner. Crime is probably a bigger concern now. We also went to Xcaret and while I had some doubts, it was terrific. Xplor may work better for you, comparison here. No concerns with safety at the beach at the hotel, it was private. But the pools were so nice, and the wind and surf rough enough, that we mostly enjoyed the pools.
Stayed there about 12 years ago. Very nice place and I heard it went through renovations recently. We're staying in Mayakoba again, but a different resort and with the whole family. I hope they still have cars at the hotels that will take you to other resorts in case we want to try other restaurants.

It was a while ago, but we went into Play del Carmen twice. It was nice to get to a real town (we usually stay in Cabo). We found a couple great restaurants that were so much cheaper than the resorts. We felt pretty safe, but that was 12 years ago. Hopefully @Hey Adrien! is going first and can tell us how the town is.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yeah, that's another one among a few, Xel-Ha Xcaret and Xplor are all different flavors of the same thing. Tropical eco-park. It's worth looking into all of them to see what best fits what you like to do. I was pleasantly surprised how much we enjoyed it.
Same, I thought it would be more of a kiddy park but after a few tequilas and swimming with the dolphins I started having a blast to go along with everything else.

Reaction Score
I'm a Cabo guy so don't go anywhere else in Mexico - but know plenty of people that have spent time in Cancun/Tulum in recent years.

Have been told by some that crime isn't an issue - just stay in the resort.
Have been told by some that crime is a big issue - and they won't go back.
One person said they saw someone get shot when they were out exploring.

So I have no idea - other than I've been going to Cabo for nearly 20 years and have never seen any BS down there.

Reaction Score
Have been told by some that crime is a big issue - and they won't go back.
One person said they saw someone get shot when they were out exploring.

My father-in-law is this way. I've traveled with my wife to a handful of third-world countries, and he didn't bat an eye about any one of them, but for some reason leaving the resort is the biggest risk we could ever take when we went down there. The dude nearly passed out when we suggested going for tacos outside the resort in Tulum.

I've seen his daughter wave off a freaking lion that wanted our braai with nothing between them but the clothes on her back and a pair of tongs in her hand. We can leave the resort.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
My first Carribean vacation was to Cancun. I have been to Cancun multiple times since and also Riviera Maya once. That was a while ago.

Now I wont return .... terrible things happening even at resorts, see below.

Reaction Score
My first Carribean vacation was to Cancun. I have been to Cancun multiple times since and also Riviera Maya once. That was a while ago.

Now I wont return .... terrible things happening even at resorts, see below.

Mexico has its issues, so I wouldn't blame anyone for not going. But you scared me a bit with your link. I clicked on the article and looked at the "resort" where it happened. Using that as a reason not to go to Riviera Maya is like saying you won't go to the Four Seasons Scottsdale because there was a shooting at an hourly motel in Chicago.

Reaction Score
Flew into Cancun, rented a car and drove to Tulum and Chichen Itza in Jan. 2019.

Only really spent time in Tulum and Chichen Itza - Both were great, no issues though I did go through a toll with no pesos and had to give the police a $20 USD. Just drive the speed limit and you should be fine. Tulum was great - there is seaweed and some trash washes up on the beach. The place we stayed cleaned it up daily but I'm guessing not all places do. We stayed very far south - Tulum is basically a town (where there isn't that much tbh) and a long north-south road along the coast with a bunch of resorts and beaches.

Chichen Itza was amazing - there are probably tons of day buses that go there, we stopped at a couple of other ruins on the way there but I think you'd get the same experience either by bus or by car. We stayed at the hotel that was directly adjacent to the site.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom