Pitino Wants Son To Takeover Program | The Boneyard

Pitino Wants Son To Takeover Program

Reaction Score
Pitino‘s no idiot
The Depaul Job is the kiss of career death
Although he advised his protege Billy Donavan that the Florida
job was also a bad choice and told him if he wanting a career don’t take that job.
When you look at what Fla did before and after Donavan you get an appreciation for what he accomplished.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Pitino gets to use NYPost like yesteryear stars used Hedda Hopper and Walter Winchell. As frivolous entertainment it's fun. Past that, caveat emptor.

Simply because there's nowhere better to put these, this morning I read two 'fun' articles in my new local media:

In one, the writer devoted his entire column to arguing against a Twitter hashtag #mickisthepick that Louisville should NOT hire (one-time Pitino assistant) Mick Cronin as Kenny Payne's replacement (should it come to that). He claimed that Payne is having a better season than Cronin.

In the other, the writer first offered Geno Auriemma, then shifted to Dawn Staley, and finally settled on Eric Musselman as best candidates to replace Calipari at Kentucky.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Pitino‘s no idiot
The Depaul Job is the kiss of career death
Although he advised his protege Billy Donavan that the Florida
job was also a bad choice and told him if he wanting a career don’t take that job.
When you look at what Fla did before and after Donavan you get an appreciation for what he accomplished.
I'm pretty sure (painfully sure in fact) that Florida made it to the final four a handful of years before they hired Donovan.

Reaction Score
New Mexico has a great basketball fan base and an awesome arena. Recent events aside, it’s a shame coaches fly through there on their way to bigger jobs.

Reaction Score
New Mexico has a great basketball fan base and an awesome arena. Recent events aside, it’s a shame coaches fly through there on their way to bigger jobs.

Aside from Steve Alford, I would hardly say coaches fly through there on their way to bigger jobs. Using KenPom data which goes back to 1999 here is the coaching history and where they went after UNM.

Dave Bliss went to Baylor and we all know how that turned out.

Fran Fraschilla, 3 seasons, was never a HC again.

Ritchie McKay went to Furman after one tourney appearance in five seasons.

Steve Alford, 6 seasons, went to UCLA.

Craig Neal, 4 seasons, has not been a HC again.

Paul Weir, 4 seasons, has not been a HC again.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, little Pitino has done a good job with New Mexico. They were 294 in KenPom when he took over and in 3 years has taken them to top 20 in KenPom, steadily increasing every year from 161 to 66 to 19 (and currently ranked in the AP Top 25).

If big Pitino sets the table nicely for him, it could work. I wouldn’t expect them to be a final four contender year in and year out, but a steady top 25 program is possible.

Reaction Score
Richard didn't exactly light the world on fire at Minnesota. He's young, so plenty of time to turn things around - and he's off to a good start with New Mexico. But I'm certainly not sold on him being one of the "bright minds" in the game.

I'm also getting tired of seeing Pitino articles every day in the Post.

Poe

Reaction Score
Pitino hasn’t earned the right to dictate or even suggest who takes over St. John’s. Accomplish something first (at St. John’s), then put your feedback in the suggestion box.

Reaction Score
It's a shame for who?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It could have been someone merely speculating but prior to the announcement that Pitino to St John's was official, I could have sworn that I read something where part of what he was negotiating was to have his kid take over once he retires.

I doubt this is part of the arrangement but I could see Pitino pushing for it.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure (painfully sure in fact) that Florida made it to the final four a handful of years before they hired Donovan.
in their entire history prior to Billy they made 5 NCAA tournaments In a 60 year period . BB was an afterthought at that program . They did make one FF
A young Norm Sloan was their first full time head coach In 1960 But he quit to take the NCS job . They didn’t even have an on campus field house until the late 1980’s Sloan came back after a dispute with the NCS AD . He was forced to resign at Fla because of a minor BB scandal they feared it would hurt football
The guy who replaced him did make their only FF but he quit ASAP to take the Illinois job With that history I’m not surprised Pitino advised him to steer clear of that job
.Without Billy’s teams they’re about .500 take out. Sloans and their under .500 .
Not exactly a BB hotbed .
Add to that at most SEC schools the BB coach status is second class or at least was until recently.,

Reaction Score
In one, the writer devoted his entire column to arguing against a Twitter hashtag #mickisthepick that Louisville should NOT hire (one-time Pitino assistant) Mick Cronin as Kenny Payne's replacement (should it come to that). He claimed that Payne is having a better season than Cronin.
Lville would be a great landing spot for cronin if he got fired, but otherwise why would he leave ucla if he had a choice? ucla was a 2 seed last year and Lville had 2 conference wins.

Reaction Score
in their entire history prior to Billy they made 5 NCAA tournaments In a 60 year period . BB was an afterthought at that program . They did make one FF
A young Norm Sloan was their first full time head coach In 1960 But he quit to take the NCS job . They didn’t even have an on campus field house until the late 1980’s Sloan came back after a dispute with the NCS AD . He was forced to resign at Fla because of a minor BB scandal they feared it would hurt football
The guy who replaced him did make their only FF but he quit ASAP to take the Illinois job With that history I’m not surprised Pitino advised him to steer clear of that job
.Without Billy’s teams they’re about .500 take out. Sloans and their under .500 .
Not exactly a BB hotbed .
Add to that at most SEC schools the BB coach status is second class or at least was until recently.,

Right. They reached one FF before Donovan. Lon Kruger's 93-94 squad. Andrew DeClerq was the only player from that team to reach the NBA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom