Pitino Predicts Transfer Portal Chaos | The Boneyard

Pitino Predicts Transfer Portal Chaos

Reaction Score
“Hunting Season” begins soon. Pitino is right. I am a dyed-in-the-wool free market capitalist, SO…………if players can change teams at will, they should be dropped at will (along with their scholarships) if they don’t produce.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Things the transfer portal has caused:

• the weakening of top teams
  • player development being less emphasized in todays game
  • NIL markets to soar since players can renegotiate every year to the highest bidder
  • No roster continuity meaning no truly great teams that grow together

College basketball nowadays is pretty much like watching Jalen Brunson being the best player in the NBA. I dont think we’ve seen a truly great team or player to watch since COVID.

College hoops is suppose to be a breeding ground of the stars of tomorrow, not guys moving up for their 15 seconds of fame at a high level.

Even in college football almost every top school is going to have a QB that is a transfer portal pickup next year and was not developed by that coach. It’s sickening and no coach worth his salt wants to deal with that when college is suppose to be about developing young men. Nowadays it’s more about GMing the best roster for the year.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I’m shocked at how much transfer activity takes place. It’s college free agency and I didn’t think it would be this active. As far as our portal activity is concerned, T. Newton earned, deserved and needed the bigger stage and we only have Cam this season. Would Pitino be running his mouth, so much, so loud, if his complete transfer portal, one season rebuild worked St. John’s into a top ten, 1-5 seed?!?!? No. Absolutely not. He’s gonna whine until he either wins or quits. Guaranteed.

Hoopcrazee

Hoopcrazee
Reaction Score
Leopards, Cheetahs and Cheaters ( oops Pitino )..they never change their spots..or maybe with Slick Rick his Whines ( effective as they may be )

Reaction Score

• NIL markets to soar since players can renegotiate every year to the highest bidder

College basketball nowadays is pretty much like watching Jalen Brunson being the best player in the NBA. I dont think we’ve seen a truly great team or player to watch since COVID.

College hoops is suppose to be a breeding ground of the stars of tomorrow, not guys moving up for their 15 seconds of fame at a high level.

Even in college football almost every top school is going to have a QB that is a transfer portal pickup next year and was not developed by that coach. It’s sickening and no coach worth his salt wants to deal with that when college is suppose to be about developing young men. Nowadays it’s more about GMing the best roster for the year.
I don't agree that it weakens the top teams, definitely hasn't made us weaker. It weakens the smaller and mid tier schools like the East Carolinas and Rutgers of the world. Perfect example of this is Steph Curry. He spent his entire career at Davidson and took them on a great run to the E8 while being the best scorer in college basketball. If he were around in college during today's transfer portal era then he would've ended up at Duke right after going off in his freshman year and Davidson would've been completely irrelevant as a result.

Reaction Score
Besides players finally getting what they deserve and college basketball having more parity and being better than ever the transfer portal is killing college basketball

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Besides players finally getting what they deserve and college basketball having more parity and being better than ever the transfer portal is killing college basketball
Would’ve 100% preferred us to beat a Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, Duke in the Final Four/Championship then to have been in probably one of the most unmemorable Final Fours of Houston, FAU, and Miami (even though I was very thankful for those ticket prices and who are we to complain about how we win a championship, talk about arrogant and spoiled).

It’s what made 99’ and 04’ so special.

By what metric/eye test is college basketball better than ever?

Reaction Score
I thought the changed the rule so if you transfer twice you have to sit out a year

Reaction Score
Would’ve 100% preferred us to beat a Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, Duke in the Final Four/Championship then to have been in probably one of the most unmemorable Final Fours of Houston, FAU, and Miami (even though I was very thankful for those ticket prices and who are we to complain about how we win a championship, talk about arrogant and spoiled).

Houston? Do we have a problem?

Reaction Score

This is such nonsense, it's made the top teams better and you keep posting this nonsense in thread after thread.

The Jalen Brunson comment is just weird.

I don't like the bastardized NIL and there should be more limits to free agency but the point you keep harping on is just wrong and you ruin thread after thread with it.

Reaction Score

Good lord, now you're complaining about how UConn won the national championship last year. 20 ppg margin of victory and you still find a way to whine about it. You were probably one of the whiners when we locked down Butler and cut down the nets too. You don't even have the right teams in last year's final 4. I already corrected you on Houston before.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Good lord, now you're complaining about how UConn won the national championship last year. 20 ppg margin of victory and you still find a way to whine about it. You were probably one of the whiners when we locked down Butler and cut down the nets too. You don't even have the right teams in last year's final 4. I already corrected you on Houston before.
San Diego State, even worse.

Please do not frame it as me complaining about our program winning a championship. That’s not what’s happening.

We are talking about how bad college hoops is right now.

Reaction Score
We like the portal as UConn fans but it is hurting the overall product of college sports.

Can’t even keep their best coaches because of it in both football and basketball.
I agree with this sentiment. But I also believe there is no going back, so the idea is to move forward thoughtfully. The box is open, let’s not try to put pandora back in it, let’s find a reasonable way forward.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don't agree that it weakens the top teams, definitely hasn't made us weaker. It weakens the smaller and mid tier schools like the East Carolinas and Rutgers of the world. Perfect example of this is Steph Curry. He spent his entire career at Davidson and took them on a great run to the E8 while being the best scorer in college basketball. If he were around in college during today's transfer portal era then he would've ended up at Duke right after going off in his freshman year and Davidson would've been completely irrelevant as a result.
It ended up being great for Steph and college basketball overall that he stayed there. Guys don’t need to move up for a spotlight. If you’re good, you’re good and people will find you.

Also, continuity and development matters.

I agree with this sentiment. But I also believe there is no going back, so the idea is to move forward thoughtfully. The box is open, let’s not try to put pandora back in it, let’s find a reasonable way forward.
There has to be a way to at least fix the transfer portal. That would go a very long way.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
San Diego State, even worse.

Please do not frame it as me complaining about our program winning a championship. That’s not what’s happening.

We are talking about how bad college hoops is right now.
Regardless of whether you’re right, it’s funny how because it’s worked for us and a few privileged programs, it must be good for the sport overall.

Different sport but the portal has greatly hurt my love of UConn football, I used to follow year round, but now I’ll only check in periodically until the season begins.

Reaction Score
UConn transforming their roster in one offseason to win a national title is ruining basketball. Even worse, they lost three players to the pros and here they are back again with lots of help from some kid that belongs at Loyola (how dare he not know his place?). Does Hurley have no shame?

Amazing after all those years of UConn being bad for basketball on the women's side and it turns out that it was actually the men's team that was going to ruin the sport.

Good thing the Power 4 are going to break away and have their own tournament. Getting UConn out of the mix might save the game. I just hope they don't wait too long.

Reaction Score

My casual rebuttal.
  • I don't see the top teams being especially weakened. According to KenPom, Houston as the #1 team is right on par with the strength of usual #1 seeds at +32 adjEM. That's roughly the average over the last 10 years on this date. Only 2015 Kentucky, 2019 Virginia, and 2021 Gonzaga were on another tier above from the other #1s. This year's squad is significantly stronger than last year's Houston. Purdue is above average in strength for #2 in the rankings as well. We're on the stronger side for a #3.
  • Player development is extremely emphasized. Because most players get better when they actually play in real minutes. Do you think Samson improved more not playing last year or having a role this year? This (along with COVID 5th years) is greatly increasing the parity in college basketball, which is good for the sport and good for March Madness.
  • I don't see how soaring NIL markets is a problem. It'll rise to the level it can, just like it presumably did in backdeal recruiting. We've seen countless examples of the most expensive or transfer in/FA heavy teams being mediocre or crap in all sports (see Kansas this year).
  • Roster continuity? Purdue literally brought almost everyone back. We at UConn had a core coming back from a title team. People aren't generally going to transfer out from strong teams.
  • 2021 Baylor and Gonzaga were both extremely strong teams post-COVID. Baylor shot 41% from 3 as a team and had 4 guys make 1.5 3s per game (we had a good shooting team last year and had 2 guys at that threshold). And they had Davion Mitchell absolutely lockdown perimeter defender. Gonzaga was loaded with Timme, Suggs, Nembhard, and Kispert.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom