OT: - Phil Schaap, Jazz Historian & Radio Announcer, Dead at 70 | The Boneyard

OT: Phil Schaap, Jazz Historian & Radio Announcer, Dead at 70

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
A man who writer Stanley Crouch called "loquaciously edifying," Phil Schaap succumbed to cancer last night.

I do not imagine that any more than a few here (if any) will have been familiar with Schaap's nearly half century run as a WKCR broadcaster (begun when he was a Columbia University student), as well as all else noted in the two obits below. He was one of a kind.

A number of times in this forum, I have heard of musicians and athletes for the first time only when someone has posted notice of their death. These have included major figures whose loss has generated deep sympathy within their communities of followers. Phil Schaap is no less worthy of veneration, so I pass along the news.

If you have never heard (or heard of) Phil Schaap, you can presumably continue to listen (via the TuneIn streaming radio app, among several ways) to his Charlie Parker-focused show "Bird Flight each weekday morning at 8:20 on WKCR.

Phil was a cousin of sportswriter Dick Schaap, who died in 2001, but was likely familiar to Boneyard readers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01
Top Bottom