Pheesa status. | The Boneyard

Pheesa status.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I had a long exchange here with @CocoHusky (BTW, where have you been lately, Coco?). I think it occurred in the September - October timeframe. The issue was whether Aaliyah would be able to reach Morgan Tuck's level of performance by her senior year. I thought she could, but Coco wasn't so sure.

At this point I frankly feel vindicated. I think that Aaliyah has reached and possibly surpassed Morgan's senior-year performance level, and is approaching Napheesa's. However, I think that Morgan or Tina Charles is a better comparison to Aaliyah because their games are more similar, relying on strength and speed more than shooting and finesse.

I certainly think that Aaliyah can be a lottery pick in next year's WNBA draft, crowded though it will be. What junior forward in WCBB would you put ahead of Aaliyah at this point?

Reaction Score
I had a long exchange here with @CocoHusky (BTW, where have you been lately, Coco?). I think it occurred in the September - October timeframe. The issue was whether Aaliyah would be able to reach Morgan Tuck's level of performance by her senior year. I thought she could, but Coco wasn't so sure.

At this point I frankly feel vindicated. I think that Aaliyah has reached and possibly surpassed Morgan's senior-year performance level, and is approaching Napheesa's. However, I think that Morgan or Tina Charles is a better comparison to Aaliyah because their games are more similar, relying on strength and speed more than shooting and finesse.

I certainly think that Aaliyah can be a lottery pick in next year's WNBA draft, crowded though it will be. What junior forward in WCBB would you put ahead of Aaliyah at this point?
I so agree. I think the recent comparisons for Aaliyah are Morgan and Tina rather than Napheesa. Aaliyah is a banger and puts the power in forward.

Napheesa was always a finesse forward to me. She was quick and crafty to get around the trees to do her work. She was also a master of the 5-8 ft backboard shot and she could make the three.

Equally amazing but just going about it differently.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the progression Edwards is on is similar to Tina's - the expanding of her range from the post out to the free throw line and then beyond is what changed Tina. It opened her ability to drive as players starting coming out to guard her and the same is happening for Edwards. Love to see her start taking a few threes too. (This is also an example of how good Uconn coaching is, never satisfied and always pushing players to expand their games.)

Morgan and Pheesa both arrived with range and both played a more finesse game at the basket.

Reaction Score
Edwards is having a great year, but one season doesn't put you in the same class as an all-time top-ten (at least) player like Collier.
Hence “before she leaves UConn”

Reaction Score
What junior forward in WCBB would you put ahead of Aaliyah at this point?
There’s not a lot of candidates.
Angel Reese?
Cameron Brink?
MacKenzie Holmes?
Maddy Westbeld?
Jada Boyd?

I wouldn’t put any of them ahead of Aaliyah. But I may be biased.

Reaction Score
Edwards is having a great year, but one season doesn't put you in the same class as an all-time top-ten (at least) player like Collier.
This is true. But most player are getting better when they jump from junior to senior. I expect Edwards will be even better next year.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Not true. The player who played post for the Ohio State University last season, I believe her name is Hillman, did not have a three-point shot in college and she got drafted. However, she developed one once she got there.

Reaction Score
I’ve never understood the point of comparing one Husky to another. Both players are great; why look for reasons to make one “lesser” than another?
The question is can she become as great as Phessa? I really hope so. I think she is on her way. Phessa is a standard and AE will meet it before she leaves UConn.

Reaction Score
Not true. The player who played post for the Ohio State University last season, I believe her name is Hillman, did not have a three-point shot in college and she got drafted. However, she developed one once she got there.
Are you talking Naz Hillmon from Michigan?

Reaction Score
Aaliyah is Aaliyah, not Napheesa, not Tina and not anyone else. In Aaliyah's own right she is, right now, a fantastic scorer and rebounder with an ability to pass and defend. I would match her with 95% of the players out there and she would hold her own. Next year she will be a faction all teams will have to worry about. I enjoy Aaliyah as she is now and next year she will definitely be an AA. If she has an extra Covid year, I hope she takes it and plays for Uconn and to better her stock with the WNBA. GO AALIYAH!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I disagree. the 3 point shot is not mandatory for a power forward. Aaliyah is a power forward. Much of her game is approaching WNBA readiness.

Reaction Score
That's Michigan....

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The question is can she become as great as Phessa? I really hope so. I think she is on her way. Phessa is a standard and AE will meet it before she leaves UConn.
And who is going to define "great".
And I agree with what HuskyNan posted.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
There are many great things about AE, but maybe the greatest is her consistency. Unlike some of our past bigs, she is not brilliant in one game and then so-so in the next. She just does not have bad or mediocre games; always tough and smart and takes what is there to take.

Reaction Score
There are many great things about AE, but maybe the greatest is her consistency. Unlike some of our past bigs, she is not brilliant in one game and then so-so in the next. She just does not have bad or mediocre games; always tough and smart and takes what is there to take.
And I have to tell you, that for me is the difference between Lou, Dorka, Aubrey, Nika, and Aaliyah this year versus Evina, Chrystin, and Liv last year. All three of them plus sophomore Aaliyah and Nika versions were streaky last year....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom