Personal trainers | The Boneyard

Personal trainers

Reaction Score
I saw a video recently where Deveraux Peters (sp?) was talking about new school and old school players. She considered herself old school, and newer school players enter the WNBA focused on nutrition, etc. At some point, it seems like it is common place for high level recruits to have all had personal trainers, or to work with personal trainers during the summer.

Players that I have seen or heard of having personal trainers in college: Christyn Williams, Bria Hartley, Meghan Walker, Naphessa Collier, Elena Delle Donne.

Players I have seen with personal trainers while in the WNBA: Candace Parker, Gabby Williams, Breanna Stewart, Tiffany Hayes.

I'm just wondering when did this shift happen. Can you name other players that you know have had trainers or have not? I suspect Sue and Diana didn't in college, but did they? What about Maya or Tina?

Reaction Score
I don’t have specific details about players who have and have not worked with trainers (I think KLS had a skills trainer in California), but it’s definitely become more common in the last 10 years or so. I think it’s been that way for all athletes of every major sport. Since it seems like everyone’s level of play is getting better, more emphasis is on who can have the slight edge. For instance, if you have to female basketball players, both 6’3, great all around players, and similar attitudes, you might prefer the one that has better conditioning and can play longer right away. I’m pretty sure Courtney Ekmark had a trainer and I think she was home schooled her senior year of high school so she could focus more on honing her skills. It’s just the name of the game these days. Either you’re the top athlete or you’re not an athlete.

Reaction Score
A lot of players at the top local high school have had personal trainers for year now. This is one reason that players go into college with better individual skills and less apt to think they need that much personal development.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom