OT: - Perhaps the greatest obituary of all time | The Boneyard

OT: Perhaps the greatest obituary of all time

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Print obituaries cost money. You pay for length. So for someone to pay $$$$$ for this moving tribute to Renay, she must've been loved, despite her very numerous flaws.

We should all be so lucky to have loving children like Andy.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I just want to know how you stumbled onto this. Just reading the obits in Pittsburgh for the heck of it?

Reaction Score
I just want to know how you stumbled onto this. Just reading the obits in Pittsburgh for the heck of it?
It was in yahoo news today. Funny stuff

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Fair question. I don't, but apparently someone on r/pittsburgh does. Saw it posted there this morning.

Although I will note that once my mother fully retired at about the same age I am now, the obits were the first page she turned to. The odds that you know someone in there increase each year ;)

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I'm pretty sure he lives in Pittsburgh, or at least in the area.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
He's at about the age when checking for your own name at the beginning of the day is common practice. You'll see.

EDIT: Hat tip to @Chin Diesel
Like many, I don't even read a newspaper anymore. These days I typically learn about deaths of former co-workers via LinkedIn, of relatives through Christmas cards, and of friends back in CT through email.

Reaction Score
Someone benefited from her grifting. Nice obit!

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
As it was written in the obit, you eventually reach an age where you start the day by reading the obits and if your name isn't in it, you are having a good day.
Or, as in the case of Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain), after reading his own obituary (I believe in the Hartford Courant) wrote a rebuttal: "Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated".

Reaction Score
With her sense of humor as described, sounds like she might have enjoyed reading it. Wonder if he wrote it in advance and showed it to her?

Reaction Score
We liked this one better.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
"There will be much mourning in the many glamorous locales she went bankrupt in: McKeesport, PA, Renay's birthplace and where she first fell in love with ham, and atheism; Fayetteville and Kill Devil Hills, NC, where Renay's dreams, credit rating and marriage are all buried; and of course Miami, FL, where Renay's parents, uncles, aunts, and eternal hopes of all Miami Dolphins fans everywhere, are all buried pretty deep. Renay was preceded in death by Don Shula."

guffaw!!!!

Reaction Score
I think it's more about self-promotion by the son who wrote it, than a tribute to her. The image of a woman in her 80s rolling joints made me laugh though.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
We liked this one better.

I have to say nothing in the Renay obit made me laugh as hard as the opening sentence in this one:

"Wayne Olexa, 76, of Crafton PA, formerly of Swissvale, PA, passed away on Sunday, November 14, 2021, after a long bout with the Steelers"

CL82

Reaction Score
I think it's more about self-promotion by the son who wrote it, than a tribute to her. The image of a woman in her 80s rolling joints made me laugh though.
“She’s got that palsy shake so she puts in a real lot of weed.”

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
As it was written in the obit, you eventually reach an age where you start the day by reading the obits and if your name isn't in it, you are having a good day.
I’ve said that for years. The only reason I buy the rag Courant online is to make sure that my name isn’t in the obits

CL82

Reaction Score
I’ve said that for years. The only reason I buy the rag Courant online is to make sure that my name isn’t in the obits
A friend called me one day and asked me how I was feeling. I said fine and asked why?. He said check out page 27 in the paper and sure enough there was a big freaking obit with my name on it. The weird part was it had several of the same family member names and the guy lived like maybe 15 minutes away from where I do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom