Path to #6 Getting Tougher | The Boneyard

Path to #6 Getting Tougher

Reaction Score
A large number of teams have excellent players, including UConn. In my eyes, Donovan Clingan is the one force on the team that distinguishes UConn's chances to repeat. A large number of teams won't be able to deal with him in conjunction with our shooters, team play, and big guards. A couple weeks ago Zach Edey, Hunter Dickinson, and to a lesser extent Kalkbrenner, were the primary bigs on quality teams that I had assumed had any possibility of dealing with Donovan. Now Kentucky recruits a 7'2 phenom from overseas to add to Aaron Bradshaw 7' , and UCLA adds a 7'3 phenom that I saw deliver a behind the back pass. Holy Big Man Batman, the path to number 6 ain't gonna be easy. Get er done.

Reaction Score
Last year, Hurley showed a new and frankly elite ability to build a roster around a sophisticated gameplan, and pretty much all of the pieces fit. Hence, national championship. He's done it again by bringing back our champion PG, bringing in a 5* prospect, recruiting a sharpshooter from the B10, developing the BE ROY #1B, and putting a 7'2 star in the paint. I think we know what we're going to get from the starting group. How Hurley coaches the bench, and how they perform, will be the key

I think the best part of last year's group was that opponents couldn't breathe. Get worn out by our starting 5, and right when you think you have a minute to catch your breath with them on the bench, Joey starts slinging 3's, Clingan owns the paint, Alleyne clamps up your best player, etc etc

Big weight on the freshmen's shoulders, and of course we're all hoping for a Samson breakout year. We'll be in the running for #6 up until the moment we win it, or someone beats us in March

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
IMG_6566.gif

Reaction Score
Having good luck with injuries is essential
Agreed but all you can do is assemble the right talent that puts you in position for a run. We have the right players and coaching staff obviously that can do this BUT you need to be healthy and maybe at some point a bit of luck.
‘Hurley is getting us to the point where you have this kind of chance every year and even though some don’t like it, it’s like Duke every year, though they always have startEd with much higher heralded talent.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking that this will be a phenomenally gifted passing team...Newton, Cam, Alex, Clingan, Castle... Even Stewart commented that passing was his favorite thing to do.
Just need to hit shots. Like our chances.

Reaction Score
Now Kentucky recruits a 7'2 phenom from overseas to add to Aaron Bradshaw 7'
Phenom? No. He may be a decent college player but he's no phenom and his ability to play at the high major level is still to be determined.

Ivisic just had a string of impressive performances at the FIBA U20 European Championship last month, averaging 11.4 points, 5.3 rebounds and 3.4 blocks while shooting 34% from 3-point range. Exactly how the soon-to-be-20-year-old will translate to the high-major level remains unclear. But the worst case scenario has Ivisic adding depth to a roster that needs it, especially considering Kentucky bigs Aaron Bradshaw and Ugonna Onyenso are both currently injured.

Anyway, the college game is a guard's game. Need guard play to succeed big. I think UConn should be a really good team but there's always good competition. The NCAA Tournament is a slog. 6 individual win or go home games. Really hard to predict because of that.

Reaction Score
A large number of teams have excellent players, including UConn. In my eyes, Donovan Clingan is the one force on the team that distinguishes UConn's chances to repeat. A large number of teams won't be able to deal with him in conjunction with our shooters, team play, and big guards. A couple weeks ago Zach Edey, Hunter Dickinson, and to a lesser extent Kalkbrenner, were the primary bigs on quality teams that I had assumed had any possibility of dealing with Donovan. Now Kentucky recruits a 7'2 phenom from overseas to add to Aaron Bradshaw 7' , and UCLA adds a 7'3 phenom that I saw deliver a behind the back pass. Holy Big Man Batman, the path to number 6 ain't gonna be easy. Get er done.
I don't get why Mara is going to college and don't get why he's going to UCLA but this and Kentucky getting the Croatian big man don't really change anything on the national level other than making the center position stronger than it already was nationally and it was already the strongest position.

UCLA is replacing their whole team and Kentucky just never really scares me anymore.

Reaction Score
I hope we aren’t underrating AJax impact on the offense via his vision and play-making
I think our fast break offense will be noticeably worse. My hope is that with a consistently engaged Newton or Castle running the break, Cam/Karaban filling the wings, and Clingan (with improved conditioning) rim running, we'll be just fine.

I feel like we'll see less threes flying on fast breaks and more attacks to the rim

Reaction Score
I hope we aren’t underrating AJax impact on the offense via his vision and play-making
He had a huge impact with his vision in the half court and pushing the ball but we're losing Sanogo and Hawkins who weren't exactly great passers. Sanogo actually started figuring it out at the very end of the season but passing/vision was a huge struggle for him most of the time. We're adding Castle and Spencer who are both damn good passers, especially with the lob from all angles. Stewart is a damn good passer for a 3/4 and with the increased playing time/role Clingan will show he's a major upgrade over Sanogo in passing.

Reaction Score
I don’t think we are. It’s just that Newton, Karaban, Clingan have all showed they can be great distributors. And I bet they will be better this year. Add in Castle and Spencer and the math adds up. Everything else from the rest of the team is gravy!

Reaction Score

There was a point at which you thought that a team losing 3 starters and 5 of its 9 man rotation was going to be the first team in a generation to go back to back and it was "gonna be easy?" Good for you.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Tougher is more fun. With the exception of a handful of years, was one of the easier championship runs a team will have. Easy in terms of how the games went, not in terms of team quality.

Reaction Score
His passing maybe offset by the inability of defenses to sag off which should leave the paint wide open. Newton, Karaban & a few others may help with getting the key rebound he seemed to have the knack of getting. I think it's pushing the ball is where he will be missed the most. There were really good division 1 guards who couldn't or struggled to keep up with him with him dribbling. And if guys were ahead they collaspsed to try to avoid the poster dunk and it led to wide open oppurtunities for others.

Reaction Score
He had a huge impact with his vision in the half court and pushing the ball but we're losing Sanogo and Hawkins who weren't exactly great passers. Sanogo actually started figuring it out at the very end of the season but passing/vision was a huge struggle for him most of the time. We're adding Castle and Spencer who are both damn good passers, especially with the lob from all angles. Stewart is a damn good passer for a 3/4 and with the increased playing time/role Clingan will show he's a major upgrade over Sanogo in passing.
I always worry about freshmen. And it’s one thing to be a good passer, but to have the vision and instincts to make the passes AJ made us part of what made him special. I’m not sure anyone on our team has that.

Reaction Score
Adama may not have been a stellar passer, but he sure was a stellar receiver and finisher. We’re going to miss him.

Reaction Score
And when the brackets came and we had Kansas, Gonzaga and Houston in our region some people here thought the would be too tough

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom