Paris Clark Commits to Arizona | The Boneyard

Paris Clark Commits to Arizona

sun

Reaction Score
NYC's Paris Clark nixed UCLA and instead decided to attend Arizona.
It appears that the expanded guard class at UCLA changed her outlook about where to go to school.
At least she didn't choose to go to a Big East school so that I won't need to root against her as often.
I can't remember the last Lady Husky from NYC, but there must be a lot of talent there.
It shows how WBB can change someone's life by offering opportunities.
She's a scrappy underdog that I hope can make a name for herself.

sun

Reaction Score
"Lady" is politically incorrect. You can say "women Husky."
You're going to need to prove it to convince me.
I think that you must be joking.
Have you ever heard of the "Florida Lady Huskies - A Florida travel basketball organization offering opportunities for young ladies to develop their game and showcase their talents!"

Or how about the Lady Huskies Tennis team?

I see people here using the word Lady in front of different WBB team names often enough and I don't see anyone else being told that using the term is being politically incorrect.

Here's a video posted by "The Obama White House" titled "Shoot Around with the Lady Huskies" with a caption that states "A certain championship UConn basketball team gets a spur-of-the-moment shoot around with the Commander in Chief."
At the end it says www dot white house dot gov
Do you really think that the Obama White House was being politically incorrect by using the term Lady Huskies?

FWIW, here's the youtube channel that posted the video.
It looks official to me.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
AFAIK, Husky is the singular form for Huskies just like the name Jonathan the Husky, the UConn team mascot.
Would you like to correct me or are you asking for clarification?

The team name is the Huskies. And yes Husky is the correct singular. UConn does not and has never used “the Lady Huskies.” Just an fyi.

CL82

Reaction Score
"Lady" is politically incorrect. You can say "women Husky."
So does that mean we should now refer to South Carolina as “women Gamecocks”? Because that just seems wrong to me.

Reaction Score
Is she an underdog really though? She's in the top 25 per ESPN 's rankings. It just looks like she wants to be in a better position for development to me.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
NYC's Paris Clark nixed UCLA and instead decided to attend Arizona.
Since when is Mount Vernon part of NYC?

Is that new geography part of the lady Husky opus?

Just to clarify, her home town is Mount Vernon, NY and she went to high school in Brookville, NY, at Long Island Lutheran High School.

:eek:

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Have you ever heard of the "Florida Lady Huskies - A Florida travel basketball organization offering opportunities for young ladies to develop their game and showcase their talents!"

I see people here using the word Lady in front of different WBB team names often enough and I don't see anyone else being told that using the term is being politically incorrect.

Here's a video posted by "The Obama White House" titled "Shoot Around with the Lady Huskies" with a caption that states "A certain championship UConn basketball team gets a spur-of-the-moment shoot around with the Commander in Chief."
Do you really think that the Obama White House was being politically incorrect by using the term Lady Huskies?

It looks official to me.

It has nothing to do with political correctness it just has to do with accuracy. It’s not the teams name and never has been. It’s like you have a friend Steve but you mistakenly introduced him as Larry. It doesn’t matter how often you do it, it’s still wrong, every time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

:eek: Let me see if I can "Straighten It Out'! NYC rappers Heavy D , Puffy, DMX, Pete Rock CL Smooth all claim "Money Earning" Mount Vernon as home.

Classic!

Reaction Score

It looks official to me.

It's a slow transition but lots of teams are trying to rid of the "ladies" terminology from sports. About 15 years ago South Carolina scrubbed the Lady Gamecock nickname from their promotional material (and I've gotten called out for using it on this board when I first joined). We don't call the men's basketball teams gentlemen Huskies. Why should it be different for the women? In the name of equality, we use the terminologies equitably. So that means dropping the ladies term and embracing men's/women's basketball as the delineators.

CL82

Reaction Score
It's a slow transition but lots of teams are trying to rid of the "ladies" terminology from sports. About 15 years ago South Carolina scrubbed the Lady Gamecock nickname from their promotional material (and I've gotten called out for using it on this board when I first joined). We don't call the men's basketball teams gentlemen Huskies. Why should it be different for the women? In the name of equality, we use the terminologies equitably. So that means dropping the ladies term and embracing men's/women's basketball as the delineators.
Except, in the case of the Huskies, it’s got zero to do with a change of policy due to political correctness and everything to do with what the team name actually is.

sun

Reaction Score
Except, in the case of the Huskies, it’s got zero to do with a change of policy due to political correctness and everything to do with what the team name actually is.
I didn't post Lady Huskies, I posted Lady Husky which isn't the team name, but rather as a single member of the Huskies team.
A human Lady Husky, not to be confused with a female husky dog.

Is that new geography part of the lady Husky opus?

Just to clarify, her home town is Mount Vernon, NY and she went to high school in Brookville, NY, at Long Island Lutheran High School.

You're correct, MT Vernon is directly outside of Bronx, NYC by maybe 5 miles
Note that her school, Long Island Lutheran, is 3 miles away from Syossett, NY where Sue Bird is from which is about 20 miles outside of Queens.

Because her video mentions that she competed in NYC and received a NYC MVP award, it led me to wonder whether Geno has ever recruited a player from NYC.
I don't recall any but realize that there've been some that were from 20 - 30 miles away.

However, I wonder if there's a reason why in all of these years, there doesn't appear to be any female basketball players recruited from NYC to play for UConn.
That's surprising considering how close Connecticut is to NYC.
I don't remember any during the Geno era, do you or anyone else?
The player's thick NYC accent is often a sign.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Except the poster you quoted didn't say anything about political correctness, he spoke about equality.

When "Lady" was dropped at Rutgers in 1996 the avowed reason was similar to what @GamecockFam is saying. The "Lady" makes them seem like less than a "Scarlet Knight", being a "Lady Knight" as they were called. Definitely not "political correctness" per se, but yes, an equality thing.

At Arizona it is the Wildcats, as well. I don't know when the transition occurred, many fans still use "Lady Cats".

I call teams what their name is. Just as it isn't Lady Huskies, it isn't Lady Cats, Lady Knights or Lady Gamecocks. It "is" Lady Vols, Lady Techsters and many others. So I call them what their name is as well.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I didn't post Lady Huskies, I posted Lady Husky which isn't the team name, but rather as a single member of the Huskies team.

You're correct, MT Vernon is directly outside of Bronx, NYC by maybe 5 miles
Note that her school, Long Island Lutheran, is 3 miles away from Syossett, NY where Sue Bird is from which is about 20 miles outside of Queens.

Because her video mentions that she competed in NYC and received a NYC MVP award, it led me to wonder whether Geno has ever recruited a player from NYC.
I don't recall any but realize that there've been some that were from 20 - 30 miles away.

However, I wonder if there's a reason why in all of these years, there doesn't appear to be any female basketball players recruited from NYC to play for UConn.
That's surprising considering how close Connecticut is to NYC.
I don't remember any during the Geno era, do you or anyone else?
The player's thick NYC accent is often a sign.

Tina Charles and Lorin Dixon. Geno also recruited Chamique Holdsclaw, Epiphany Prince, Shay Doran, a post players that went to Rutgers (senior moment!) and others

@bbsamjj @KnightBridgeAZ @Coler who was the post that Geno recruited? She nearly went to UConn but switched to RU late. I think she played with Piph

CL82

Reaction Score
Initial caps are an indication of a proper name. The team name is “Huskies”. An individual player could be called a “Husky”. But you know that.

sun

Reaction Score
Tina Charles and Lorin Dixon. Geno also recruited Chamique Holdsclaw, Epiphany Prince, Shay Doran, a post players that went to Rutgers (senior moment!) and others
Thanks., they're both from Queens and played for Chirst the KIng High School and were teammates.
All those you mentioned played for the same high school.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thanks., they're both from Queens and played for Chirst the KIng High School and were teammates.
All those you mentioned played for the same high school.
So you’re defining NYC only as Manhattan?

Prince went to Murray Bergtraum in NYC. Kia Vaughn went to St Michael’s

Reaction Score

@bbsamjj @KnightBridgeAZ @Coler who was the post that Geno recruited? She nearly went to UConn but switched to RU late. I think she played with Piph
K I a Vaughn???

Reaction Score

Kia Vaughan.

I believe she was the reason behind Geno leaving an expletive-laden voice mail for AAU coach Apache Pascual.

sun

Reaction Score
So you’re defining NYC only as Manhattan?

Prince went to Murray Bergtraum in NYC. Kia Vaughn went to St Michael’s
Sue Bird also transferred to Christ the King High School in Queens for her junior year from a public school on Long Island.
She said that it was because her parents got divorced, plus she knew all of the players at the school and they were friends, so they played AAU together which was based at the school.

It's mentioned after the first couple of minutes of this interview.

Reaction Score
How does a post about a players commitment become all about Uconn;) must be the green eyed monsters are at it again:p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom