Paige is the most valuable NCAA athlete on social media | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paige is the most valuable NCAA athlete on social media

Reaction Score
One person I know for sure who isn’t going to like all the media attention Paige is going to get this season and the next three season is a person name Jealous Dawn in South Carolina.
Why would Dawn be jealous? Her team won a national title more recently than the Huskies, she's the U.S. national team's head coach, and has no trouble recruiting top talent to South Carolina.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Why would Dawn be jealous? Her team won a national title more recently than the Huskies, she's the U.S. national team's head coach, and has no trouble recruiting top talent to South Carolina.

Jealous is definitely the wrong word and the popularity idea that started this thread is silly since Dawn like all major WCBB coaches just want the women's game to grow. But I could see a twinge of envy in a PG coach that the truest of true PG's is up in Storrs (I know Saniya Rivers in SC in 2021 but still) . But maybe Geno has that twinge that a true dominant post (i.e Boston) wound up in Dixie ;).

Reaction Score
Think about it, if you could trade Paige for Boston, would you do it. I do not see Dawn being envious of any other team’s players.

Ask that again in 2/3 years. Boston and Bueckers were on the same USA team a year ago and despite the outstanding play of Boston it was Bueckers who won MVP.

Reaction Score
Ask that again in 2/3 years. Boston and Bueckers were on the same USA team a year ago and despite the outstanding play of Boston it was Bueckers who won MVP.
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, Paige has not yet shown she will be outstanding against collegiate level talent, Boston has. I believe most coaches who be more comfortable with the more experienced player. Paige may very well become an outstanding collegiate player and make the choice between the two players difficult but as of today I think Boston is the obvious choice. As for Dawn being jealous, I think there are many who would love to have the team she has today.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, Paige has not yet shown she will be outstanding against collegiate level talent, Boston has. I believe most coaches who be more comfortable with the more experienced player. Paige may very well become an outstanding collegiate player and make the choice between the two players difficult but as of today I think Boston is the obvious choice. As for Dawn being jealous, I think there are many who would love to have the team she has today.
A number of scouts have declared that Bueckers is ready to play in the WNBA right now. Perhaps scouts are saying the same thing about Boston, making the choice of either one difficult for all but the fans of their respective teams.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
A number of scouts have declared that Bueckers is ready to play in the WNBA right now. Perhaps scouts are saying the same thing about Boston, making the choice of either one difficult for all but the fans of their respective teams.

Boston wouldve been the #2 pick after Ionescu if draft eligible this year.

Reaction Score
But if Paige can play up on the same USA team as Boston and win tournament MVP, I’ll say she’ll be just fine at the collegiate level

Reaction Score
Not to derail this thread, LSU has a freshmen gymnast named Olivia Dunne who has a massive social media following. Close to 700K on Instagram and has just under 3 million followers on Tik Tok. She use to be a popular elite gymnast when she was younger but dealt with injuries later in her career. Maybe its because she looks like a real life barbie doll but its crazy to me the following some of these kids get.

cGrvvEt.png

Reaction Score

I agree with your point about "proven against college players" but I also don't think Bueckers will have any difficulty with college level play. Maybe that is just my homerism showing but I don't normally count on freshmen for much more than a minor contribution and I've watched Bueckers for 3 years and she is different.
And remember, if there is a tournament Bueckers will have as much experience in the ncaa's as any of last years Gamecock freshmen despite their coaches claim.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

That’s nice. I’d prefer she be the MVP in women’s college basketball between the lines. According to Geno (and you, I‘ll take your word for it), she’s the real deal. Even though I’m from Missouri, I recognize and respect the fact that so many posters that have seen her play either on TV or in person, all say the same thing. I believe she will grow and mature quickly and adapt to play at this level. I’m very happy she chose to fly UConn. :D

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
. . . As for Dawn being jealous, I think there are many who would love to have the team she has today.

I for one am looking forward to UConn-South Carolina games for the next few years. I hope this year's happens and that they're able to schedule each other in following years.

Reaction Score
I would think that allowing athletes to profit from their fame while staying in school would lead to fewer early exits to the pros.
If a player can leave early and make millions they are going to. Gotta capitalize while you physically can. It would be dumb not to. A lot of these players earn their degrees in three years already, and they aren't going to benefit much from an extra year of college coaching.

Reaction Score
I'll preface this by saying that I'm an old guy. But what exactly is an "influencer"? And what can Paige or any college athlete do or say on social media that will earn money? Endorsements? Use of her likeness? She hasn't played one minute of college basketball and, as much as those of us who populate boards like these love WBB, it's not a sport with a wide fan base. My guess is that many casual sports fans know who Trevor Lawrence is but couldn't name a WBB player on a bet. Don't take any of this negatively - I'm looking for enlightenment.

Not sure how it works with other platforms, but I watched a video on YouTube by a guy who posts instructional material and said he's making $20,000 per month doing so. I've heard of kids that do fun videos making enormous money too and it's all tied in to how many "views" they get and whether or not they have sponsors in addition to the money YouTube pays per "view".
In the example I'm giving, the guy said he gets a penny per view so if he posts a ten minute video and it attracts 500,000 "views" he'll be paid $5,000. It might have been a half penny per "view" but it's in the ball park.
He also has sponsors that pay a fee in return for him doing a 15 or 30 second promo for their products. It'd be easy to see Paige doing a ten minute instructional video for kids interesting in learning about ball handling or some other aspect of play and having Nike or another manufacturer pay a sizeable sponsor fee.
It's the free market at its best (worst?) and here to stay as long as everyone involved benefits. Paige would for sure, UConn would as well as the exposure will attract players, students excited to go to such a well known school and fans/advertisers for UConn women's basketball.
Mark Emmert will likely benefit too as he will probably issue an executive order requiring all kids active on an NCAA team to pay a flat 20% of their earned income because of the exposure the NCAA provides.................. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Mark Emmert will likely benefit too as he will probably issue an executive order requiring all kids active on an NCAA team to pay a flat 20% of their earned income because of the exposure the NCAA provides.................. :rolleyes:
Hadn't even thought of this, but definitely could see it happening especially if revenue is way down.

Reaction Score
Think about it, if you could trade Paige for Boston, would you do it. I do not see Dawn being envious of any other team’s players.

Easy choice for Boston. She's already proven to be a generational player...Paige might be. Also, Boston is a better fit position wise for UConn - who needs a better balance of Bigs and PGs.

Reaction Score
Easy choice for Boston. She's already proven to be a generational player...Paige might be. Also, Boston is a better fit position wise for UConn - who needs a better balance of Bigs and PGs.
How has she proven to be a generational player? How many POYs and championships has she won? You gotta get at least one, and probably at least two, of each to be in that conversation IMO.

Reaction Score

As far as I can see, you are the only one that Boston has "proven" to that she is a generational player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom