Paige breaks down KK’s game (you’ve got see this) | The Boneyard

Paige breaks down KK’s game (you’ve got see this)

Reaction Score
Very nice. KK seems like a nice kid with some very nice basketball skills.

I've been watching highlight film of UConn recruits for ever (thanks to HuskyNan and all the other Yarders who post them!) and always get a chuckle at how different they look when as freshman they play against much tougher competition. A few exceptions of course, Paige being one of the few that didn't miss a beat in moving up to college competition. For most, even for the very talented, not going 0 for 20 (or 0 for America as the case may be) during their first in-game competition is something to worry about. That and discovering that the paint is a far less hospitable place than they are used to. Let's hope KK is one of those kids who play really well right off the bat and makes Geno's have to carve out meaningful minutes for her.

Reaction Score
I expect some adjustment her freshman season because of her height but by February I think folks are going to be really surprised at what has landed in Storrs. Lots of speedy players, but the use and control of it makes her a gem.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A thing that Paige said which i believe to be the most important ingredient for a UConn player is confidence. This is what separates the great ones from the good ones at UConn (aside then abilities).
It also separates the effective players from the ones who have a hard time getting off the bench. I think DeBerry is an example of a player who could be very effective, but has yet to gain confidence in herself at the college level. And it is as much focusing on a role and being consistent in that role, as it is overall skill. I think Kiah Stokes was a player that struggled with her role for a few years, finally found and embraced it as a defensive and rebounding demon, and it has carried her through a successful pro career.

Reaction Score
KK has some nice moves and she has played against some really good HS guards. Her size is might be a factor but her quickness might be enough to offset that in the game situations. Very nice shot and handles the ball with confidence and also does a real good job of setting up the defender to make her moves. KK will be a fun player to watch in the next few seasons.

Paige I would add has a nice demeanor working with the younger players and her work ethic is a fantastic example for those greats following her to UCONN.

Reaction Score
KK has some nice moves and she has played against some really good HS guards. Her size is might be a factor but her quickness might be enough to offset that in the game situations. Very nice shot and handles the ball with confidence and also does a real good job of setting up the defender to make her moves. KK will be a fun player to watch in the next few seasons.

Paige I would add has a nice demeanor working with the younger players and her work ethic is a fantastic example for those greats following her to UCONN.
"size might be a factor". Remember Ivory Latta who played at UNC, I believe. She was 5'4" and was a dynamo who averaged bushels of points. The phenomenal Moriah Jefferson was a very slight 5'7" player who is in the very top rank at UConn. These are just 2 players whose size "might have been a factor" yet these 2 mentioned players were NEVER troubled per se for their lack of vertical height. KK is a chunky, strong player who can get off a shot even following a solid bump from an opponent. KK would have been of enormous impact if she played against Ohio State where we could not get the ball over halfcourt because our guards were too meek and mild and simply not aggressive enough for the task at hand. KK has the ego drive that will be a major key to her success.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Great video! Early on Paige asks KK what her go-to move is and KK says 'crossover'.
They go to an example of that...crossover to get away from the defender followed by a wide-open three.
Paige immediately reacts with something like a 'whoa!'...clearly indicating she was impressed.

It is a huge asset for KK...I'm not sure there is anyone on the current team with as quick a handle....maybe Paige
herself. Would love to see a crossover comparison of KK and Moriah...mighty close.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It also separates the effective players from the ones who have a hard time getting off the bench. I think DeBerry is an example of a player who could be very effective, but has yet to gain confidence in herself at the college level. And it is as much focusing on a role and being consistent in that role, as it is overall skill. I think Kiah Stokes was a player that struggled with her role for a few years, finally found and embraced it as a defensive and rebounding demon, and it has carried her through a successful pro career.
As a follow-up re Uconn players, you see this over and over again with the freshmen coming in - KML and Lou carved out a specific role as freshman, then expanded it as they matured. MoJeff, Pheesa and Gabby struggled as freshmen to find their game, Aubrey as well. It is a huge transition from being the best player on the court as a senior in HS to finding a role as the least experienced member of a high caliber team as a college freshman.

And you see it again with the transition to the W, and with the transition to for the USA national team. And those players are already much more mature basketball-wise than the college freshmen.

Reaction Score
You see a lot of highlights of high school players just going to the basket and not enough jump shooting. Paige said something very important in college it is a lot harder to drive to the hole so you have to rely on your pull-up more.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
You see a lot of highlights of high school players just going to the basket and not enough jump shooting. Paige said something very important in college it is a lot harder to drive to the hole so you have to rely on your pull-up more.
Or as a guard be a great facilitator if and whn the close out double team impedes ur progress to the rim.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It’s 8:30 of Paige and KK. It’s fantastic. You get a few seconds of Renee, too

Spoiler: KK can use her left hand (“crucial!”)

In 1968, Motown's Supremes and Temptations released a song titled....."I'm gonna make you love me." I have a sneaking suspicion that KK Arnold is going to do just that to many UConn supporters and followers. I, along with many other UConn fans am already sipping on THAT glass of Kool-Aid with a straw, cherry, and an umbrella in it.

She's going to be fun to watch and should be worth the price of admission. The trainers on opposing teams had better have lots of tape on hand when their teams play UConn. KK is gonna be the reason some ankles need to get retaped. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That was awesome. And hopefully she brings Ashlyn Shade out next. It's a very good incoming class. To go with a amazing team. They will be a hard team to handle. From AE to Nika, Caroline and Azzi, Paige. I truly believe that thier next national championship comes next year and a very good chance to repeat. As they get only better, playing together.
GO HUSKIES.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
How does KK compare to Dangerfield coming out of high school?

I'm sure others can add to or correct this, but a few thoughts:

KK is taller. See her standing next to Paige. I think she's a legit 5'8" or maybe 5'9". Crystal was listed at 5'6" at UConn but is more like 5'5". So KK is 3" or more taller than Crystal.

KK is wider. Crystal has some impressive muscles, but on a smaller frame than that of KK. I don't know who is stronger, but KK is more able to score through contact. In fact, one of KK's biggest assets is the ability to do that. Look for a lot of and-ones.

Both KK and Crystal are very shifty. I think Crystal is faster; I'm not sure who is quicker. KK has some great crossover and change-of-pace moves that are quite advanced for her age.

I believe Crystal is a better shooter, but KK is a good shooter and likely will improve.

Both of them are smart players and gym rats.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom