Paige and Qadence | The Boneyard

Paige and Qadence

Reaction Score
Someone convince me that Paige and Qadence, both listed at 6 ft are the same height.
Qadence Samuels - Women's Basketball - University of Connecticut ...

Saw the listing in another thread and thought hmmmm.

Reaction Score
I would take the heights listed by schools including UConn with a grain of salt. I'm always surprised when the men go to NBA combines and are measured as shorter - in some cases by a fair amount - than their reported heights.

Reaction Score
You can’t tell much from this pic. Paige is def not standing up straight and you can’t tell if Q is
Paige, Val Ackerman, and 6’ 3” Aaliyah Edwards all appear to me to be standing up straight and are not bending their knees at all. While Qadence appears to be definitely taller than 6’ 1” Aubrey Griffin. If you can’t tell anything from this photo then I’ll ask you if you understand the word “perspective”.

Reaction Score
If memory serves me right, Q was listed as 6-2 in HS and then 6-0 at Uconn. Paige, Nika, and Jana all had one inch added to their listed height this year, at least on the Uconn site. Gandy I believe is now shown as 6-6 for an extra inch, and I was surprised that Allie was listed at Prospect Nation as 6-1, but is still 5-10 at ESPN.

Reaction Score
If memory serves me right, Q was listed as 6-2 in HS and then 6-0 at Uconn. Paige, Nika, and Jana all had one inch added to their listed height this year, at least on the Uconn site. Gandy I believe is now shown as 6-6 for an extra inch, and I was surprised that Allie was listed at Prospect Nation as 6-1, but is still 5-10 at ESPN.
lol. Thanks for the info. I’ve definitely watched enough UConn games to know that Q is definitely taller than Paige. Even in the picture it’s quite evident that Q is one our taller players, AND can shoot the rock.

Reaction Score
lol. Thanks for the info. I’ve definitely watched enough UConn games to know that Q is definitely taller than Paige. Even in the picture it’s quite evident that Q is one our taller players, AND can shoot the rock.
6'6' with hair.... Does that count? Her hair's the best.

Reaction Score
It’s the parallax view which is also the movie title of a Warren Beatty 1974 political thriller which is still a worthy watch 50 years later.

Reaction Score
Q is 6'1...problem solved. Maybe give a half inch to Yanna.

Reaction Score
Photos are as deceptive as rosters. If they’re not all equidistant from the camera all heights will be distorted by the level of the lens. If it’s eye level with front row the back row will appear shorter, if it’s eye level with the back row the front row will appear shorter. It is literally impossible to choose a camera position that won’t distort height.

Reaction Score
Photos are as deceptive as rosters. If they’re not all equidistant from the camera all heights will be distorted by the level of the lens. If it’s eye level with front row the back row will appear shorter, if it’s eye level with the back row the front row will appear shorter. It is literally impossible to choose a camera position that won’t distort height.
Would a tv camera be less affected by a glass lens and its photographic optical distortions?

Reaction Score
It’s the parallax view which is also the movie title of a Warren Beatty 1974 political thriller which is still a worthy watch 50 years later.
Great flick btw, the scene where he’s down below the Dam is classic.

Reaction Score
Would a tv camera be less affected by a glass lens and its photographic optical distortions?
Optics is what it is. Even without a lens the same rules apply. I taught a class once years ago on Euclid’s Optics. Yup, he wrote a treatise on the subject 2,000 years ago.

Reaction Score
Optics is what it is. Even without a lens the same rules apply. I taught a class once years ago on Euclid’s Optics. Yup, he wrote a treatise on the subject 2,000 years ago.
Yeah, but the electromagnetic scanning beam creates a picture line by line. It’s why video has a different look than a photograph. Euclid had no clue about electronic scanning or what it is, and couldn’t even imagine such a medium with no optical distortion.

“Scanners will typically give you better resolution and bits-per-pixel color depth than a photo, have uniform lighting, no optical distortion of any sort, and it's perfectly flat and orthogonal (tricky to pull off with the camera). There is also focus to adjust.”Dec 9, 2013

Quora

Reaction Score
Yeah, but the electromagnetic scanning beam creates a picture line by line. It’s why video has a different look than a photograph. Euclid had no clue about electronic scanning or what it is, and couldn’t even imagine such a medium with no optical distortion.

“Scanners will typically give you better resolution and bits-per-pixel color depth than a photo, have uniform lighting, no optical distortion of any sort, and it's perfectly flat and orthogonal (tricky to pull off with the camera). There is also focus to adjust.”Dec 9, 2013

Quora

I wasn’t clear when I said distortion originally. I didn’t mean “optical distortion,” as a lens system might produce. I meant the older sense of optics meaning line of sight distortion. This is independent of line or pixel scanning — even though these typically involve some sort of lensing too.

If you and I were in the 10th row at Gampel looking down at KK and Jana, if Jana were in front and KK were behind, from our vantage point KK might appear to us to be the same height as Jana or even taller. Of course, our brain can often correct for this by taking in contextual cues, though this can introduce other visual mistakes. No lens or camera or scanning device would be involved.

If you’re taller than me (I’m only 5’7”) and we look at Paige and Nika while standing on the same floor as them, the difference in height between them will seem different to me than to you.

Reaction Score
You can’t tell much from this pic. Paige is def not standing up straight and you can’t tell if Q is
Que is easily 6'1" or 6'2" and taller than Paige. Aubrey is 6'1" and Que is right there with her in the back row. If you look at ESPN's recruit rankings for 2023 she is listed as 6'2"

Attachments

• uconn.jpg
    uconn.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 130
Reaction Score
Wow. I am always extremely impressed by the breath of knowledge of Boneyarders. Ask and ye shall receive - and probably more than you would ever want to know.

I am so much better informed not only about the relative heights of the wonderful UConn Huskies from the perspective or angle you are viewing them but also of Euclids Optics, line of sight distortion and contextual views (Thank you, BoneDog), electromagnetic scanning beam (Kudos, Conn78SEJ), parallax view (Good one, divots) and hopefully after all of this true wisdom will eventually prevail, msf22b. Now, where the heck did I put my tape measure?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom