Pace - 285th Nationally | The Boneyard

Pace - 285th Nationally

Reaction Score
Looking at previews for tonight's game I noticed we're 285th in the country in pace. That puts us in the 12th percentile, one of the slowest teams in America. Not ideal. I am not surprised by this as our motion offense has largely involved passing the ball around the perimeter for 20 seconds while putting no pressure on the defense before having to force up a shot as the shot clock dwindles down.

DePaul likes to play on the faster side, though not blazing, ranking 71st in pace. Hopefully we get a more up-and-down game and it'll help us get some easy buckets. I imagine Hurley has noticed this statistic and will try a few adjustments.

Reaction Score
Why is it not ideal?

We don't have to play fast, who says we do?

Sure we have a lot of great guards and wings who can get out and run, but again this comes back to people ripping Cole.

If they want to play fast tonight we'll run them out of the gym, UConn has dictated the pace in every game this season - we'll play whichever speed helps us win tonight.

Reaction Score
Good point. Lot of wonderball 35 feet from basket. Where are the hard cuts and driving tight to the guy setting the pick? UConn makes half court offensive basketball look so hard.
Can't have an offense of Bouknight and the Pips.

1609351051406.png

Reaction Score
Several new pieces with no practice to get in sync in offensive sets, leads to timid passing/movement

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As I will undoubtedly be saying on the Chat tonight. Run Run Run. We are so much better when we run. Every defensive rebound, every steal, run.

Reaction Score
When we run we get very loose with the basketball. Our fast break isn't very good, even our two on ones often fail. This is an area that has much room for improvement.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
This is criminal. We need to get easier buckets in transition.

Reaction Score
Hard to really look at this stat when we have played 4 games, and a lot of teams have played 10 games. UConn wanted to slow the pace against Creighton for sure. They felt it was their only way to win, and was a smart strategy if Cole hits his FTs.

Reaction Score
Pretty hard to play at a faster pace without a solid point guard or two. We don’t push the ball because our guards can’t or won’t do it. Gaffney isn’t aggressive with the ball. Not sure Cole can do it either. Diggins will fix it.

Reaction Score
Yea hopefully offense was a point of emphasis these past 10 days. Hopefully some set plays for Bouk or Polley catch and shoot

Reaction Score
As I will undoubtedly be saying on the Chat tonight. Run Run Run. We are so much better when we run. Every defensive rebound, every steal, run.
Especially in 3 guard lineups, which Hurley likes. If you play 3 guards, you better be running and attacking.

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
I agree with the general premise, but, I note . . .

. . . in 2014 we won a national championship running an offense that regularly ran the shot clock down significantly before a shot was attempted. Of course, we had Shabazz, who was unique and an incredible baller, but the point is . . . slow play does not always equal poor play.

Reaction Score
I agree with the general premise, but, I note . . .

. . . in 2014 we won a national championship running an offense that regularly ran the shot clock down significantly before a shot was attempted. Of course, we had Shabazz, who was unique and an incredible baller, but the point is . . . slow play does not always equal poor play.

Correct. But when the accompanying offense stats are poor it's something to note. Again, a very small sample size, but...

220th in FG%
216th in TS%
200th in assists
246th in 3PT%

Obviously the percentages will balance out in time.

Reaction Score
Interesting, teams who run offense on a low pace tend to do better in March when the game slows down and possessions are low.

For example, 80% of last year's top-25 teams had tempo rating 100th or worse in the nation.

KenPom's top-10 teams in 2020 averaged 189th in tempo. KenPom's bottom-10 teams averaged 147th.

Also, 4 out of the 10 fastest teams last year ranked in the 334-351 range according to KenPom. The best teams within the top-30 in tempo included Alabama, Arizona State, South Carolina, St. John's and Memphis while the best teams within the bottom-30 of tempo included San Diego State, Virginia, Butler, Wisconsin, Purdue.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interesting, teams who run offense on a low pace tend to do better in March when the game slows down and possessions are low.
I’m not doubting this claim. I’m wondering if you have some evidence to support this. I might look through some KenPom stats later if I have time because I’m genuinely curious if pace matters much on its own.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I mean, the other teams know we wanna run and send 4 guys back on shot attempts. If we tried to run 2 v 4 fast breaks y’all would complain about that too

Reaction Score
Looking at previews for tonight's game I noticed we're 285th in the country in pace. That puts us in the 12th percentile, one of the slowest teams in America. Not ideal. I am not surprised by this as our motion offense has largely involved passing the ball around the perimeter for 20 seconds while putting no pressure on the defense before having to force up a shot as the shot clock dwindles down.

DePaul likes to play on the faster side, though not blazing, ranking 71st in pace. Hopefully we get a more up-and-down game and it'll help us get some easy buckets. I imagine Hurley has noticed this statistic and will try a few adjustments.
At this point this is all I'm looking for out of our 2 controversial PGs. I'd like to see our fast break consistently produce easy buckets. So far it really hasn't. Our PGs don't turn it over a ton. Which is cool. Now they just need to produce layups in layup situations. I don't think this is too much to hope for out of a PG.

Reaction Score
We've played against a lot of zone so far and have a very good defense. Not that surprising. It's a bit of an artifact of small sample size. The game against USC was glacially slow and bringing down all the numbers

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have suggested several times that Hurley sacrificed pace and points the first couple of games to work on rotation, assessing players and trying to run a half court offense.

I have little doubt that if Hurley chose to play 11 players and pressed full court, UConn would have scored a bunch more and won by larger margins. And gotten nothing from it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom