PAC 12 WBB News | Page 29 | The Boneyard

PAC 12 WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Very true. Did Colorado play any team out of conference near the caliber of NC St or BYU like Wash St did? When the CouGals are bad though they are really bad. As clutch and timely as Krystal Leger-Walker can be she can also be stupid with ball. She has a high dribble and throws too many unforced turnovers away and lost possessions.
Wash St walks a fine line between eking out tough games or getting destroyed against a better team
Boston College on the bubble lost to VCU and Boston University this year. No one says a word about that. I’m pulling for BC but those are two losses that should keep you out of the tourney if bad losses carry that much weight
Massey SOS for PAC-12 teams potentially on the bubble or off the bubble:
  • Oregon State: 8
  • Washington State: 9
  • UCLA: 16
  • Arizona State: 21
  • Utah: 29
  • Colorado: 42

Reaction Score
Massey SOS for PAC-12 teams potentially on the bubble or off the bubble:
  • Oregon State: 8
  • Washington State: 9
  • UCLA: 16
  • Arizona State: 21
  • Utah: 29
  • Colorado: 42
I have always been told NCAA uses the NET rankings over Massey.

Pac-12 bubble , off the bubble teams

Here is the latest from 2/21 for NET.

Utah 25

Colorado 31

Arizona State 41

Oregon State 50

UCLA 58

Washington State 62

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I have always been told NCAA uses the NET rankings over Massey.

Pac-12 bubble , off the bubble teams

Here is the latest from 2/21 for NET.

Utah 25

Colorado 31

Arizona State 41

Oregon State 50

UCLA 58

Washington State 62
I'm more sympathetic to the causes of Arizona State, Oregon State, and Washington State simply because they actually played nonconference road games against teams with a pulse. I'd rather see teams willing to take their lumps get rewarded as opposed to cupcake-bingeing teams like Colorado.

Reaction Score
I'm more sympathetic to the causes of Arizona State, Oregon State, and Washington State simply because they actually played nonconference road games against teams with a pulse. I'd rather see teams willing to take their lumps get rewarded as opposed to cupcake-bingeing teams like Colorado.
Wash St beat Colorado and Oregon St on the road and beat Az St at home. Cougs lost to Utah on the road. Finally with a signature win over the AZ it’s looking better to get a tourney berth. If they can keep it respectable vs Stanford (big if) and win at Cal they’ll be 11-6 in Pac 12. Wow.
Oregon St closes against Colorado and Utah so somebody’s going to take a tough loss or two in that bunch

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I know they have wildly unbalanced schedules, but I think Washington St. is tied for 2nd in the conference and ASU is 4-7. How is it even debatable about which is more deserving of being in the Tourney? Also the Devils are barely over .500 overall. They had a couple good games at home against good teams, otherwise their season has been nothing much.

Reaction Score
Wash St beat Colorado and Oregon St on the road and beat Az St at home. Cougs lost to Utah on the road. Finally with a signature win over the AZ it’s looking better to get a tourney berth. If they can keep it respectable vs Stanford (big if) and win at Cal they’ll be 11-6 in Pac 12. Wow.
Oregon St closes against Colorado and Utah so somebody’s going to take a tough loss or two in that bunch

The WSU/OSU game was @WSU, postponed to a Wednesday.

OSU lost 2 home games to Covid that have not been rescheduled: Utah and ASU. They also lost an away game at Cal.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I know they have wildly unbalanced schedules, but I think Washington St. is tied for 2nd in the conference and ASU is 4-7. How is it even debatable about which is more deserving of being in the Tourney? Also the Devils are barely over .500 overall. They had a couple good games at home against good teams, otherwise their season has been nothing much.
Probably because ASU started off with wins against Colorado, Arizona, OSU, and Oregon, and only one so-so loss to Utah until this weekend, while WSU had no wins against actually good PAC-12 programs until this weekend. I do think it takes people's priors a bit of time to adjust, even if, as of today, I would agree with you that WSU's body of work is at least as good as ASU's.

ETA: plus a loss to Stony Brook right before conference play started - I think it does take a while to shake off the stink of really bad losses.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
PAC-12 Fans, this happens every season....PAC-12 just beats up on each other all conference season. Then in the NCAA Tournament, PAC-12 has best win %age relative to other P5 conferences. I'm just glad Charlie Creme isn't on the selection committee.

Plebe

Reaction Score
PAC-12 Fans, this happens every season....PAC-12 just beats up on each other all conference season. Then in the NCAA Tournament, PAC-12 has best win %age relative to other P5 conferences. I'm just glad Charlie Creme isn't on the selection committee.
How exactly has Creme disrespected the Pac-12? He has Utah as an 9 seed, which to me is extremely generous given their relatively weak resume. He also has Colorado and Washington State currently safely in the field, which is also a rather generous call.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Probably because ASU started off with wins against Colorado, Arizona, OSU, and Oregon, and only one so-so loss to Utah until this weekend, while WSU had no wins against actually good PAC-12 programs until this weekend. I do think it takes people's priors a bit of time to adjust, even if, as of today, I would agree with you that WSU's body of work is at least as good as ASU's.

ETA: plus a loss to Stony Brook right before conference play started - I think it does take a while to shake off the stink of really bad losses.
As stinky as losing to Stony Brook might be, it could be worse from a general perspective. They are about as respectable as any mid-major that didn't play a challenging schedule. Two in conference losses for them stink because the conference stinks. OOC they only lost to Fordham.

Sadly, Stony Brook is forbidden from participating in their conference tourney, as they are departing the conference soon. So I'm guessing a WNIT shot. They have a new coach this year.

I only know anything about them because they played Rutgers OOC.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Some of those bubble PAC-12 teams played early cup cake schedules which impacts the NET.
It seems to be a common misperception, as a holdover from the RPI era, that a team's NET ranking is hurt by a weak schedule.

The NET purports to measure a team's performance relative to its schedule (MOV, efficiency, etc.), and teams with weak schedules can end up with NET rankings that are ostensibly too high. Examples include Utah in the mid-20s and Colorado in the low-30s of the NET. Same goes for North Carolina, which played a dreadful nonconference schedule and yet has been in the top 5 of the NET all season long.

Reaction Score

WSU really played themselves into the dance last weekend. Currently tied for a second with the ducks quack quack after losing to Stanford WSU enter the pack 12 tournament in third place. I would find it stunning if they weren't in the dance as of now but after winning one game in the tournament I think they're in.

The Devil's bone crushing loss to the Huskies really dashes any hope that CTT has of taking her team to the dance. In a bizarro fantasy world in which the Sun Devils run the table in the tournament they get to go. However even my fantasies don't extend that far.

This is senior weekend in Tempe and it'll be interesting to see how the team reacts after the three game losing streak on the road. I would hope that ASU can take care of the Trojans but I think the Bruins may give the Devil's trouble. In any event Devils end the season near .500 and are outside looking in for the dance this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How exactly has Creme disrespected the Pac-12? He has Utah as an 9 seed, which to me is extremely generous given their relatively weak resume. He also has Colorado and Washington State currently safely in the field, which is also a rather generous call.
9 ACC & 9 SEC Teams vs 6 PAC-12 Teams

Plebe

Reaction Score
Well, as I've described elsewhere, I'm not going to be the one to defend the inclusion any of those horribly yucky so-called bubble teams from the ACC and SEC.

But the Pac-12 this year just isn't all that great. ِAfter the 3 locks, there are 6 bubble teams (Utah, Colorado, Arizona State, Oregon State, Washington State, and maybe UCLA). I'm sorry but there's no way that all 6 of these teams deserve to be in the tournament. Fortunately for the Pac-12, Arizona and Oregon both pulled the classic ACC/SEC move of dropping soft losses to enhance the resumes of teams that otherwise probably wouldn't even make the tournament.

Having said that, it's completely possible that two Pac-12 teams reach the championship game again this season. Oregon just dominated Stanford for 30+ minutes and Arizona with its defense can put together another run.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The WSU/OSU game was @WSU, postponed to a Wednesday.

OSU lost 2 home games to Covid that have not been rescheduled: Utah and ASU. They also lost an away game at Cal.
And what does this mean. Wednesday?

Reaction Score

I think Lotrader might be thinking Oregon State is disrespected in his latest Creme bracket release.

Creme does not have Oregon State penciled in as much as some want that. Well, Creme does not decide seeds so don't get distraught over one guys opinion. There is a NCAA committee that does that digging.

Lotrader, you could e-mail Oregons womens AD Lisa Peterson who is on the NCAA selection committee :)

Members of the committee for 2021-22 will include Deneé Barracato, deputy director of athletics at Northwestern; Greg Burke, director of athletics at Northwestern State; Beth Goetz, director of athletics at Ball State; Kurt McGuffin, director of intercollegiate athletics at UT Martin; Lisa Peterson, deputy athletics director at Oregon; Derita Ratcliffe Dawkins, deputy athletics director at Arkansas and Jill Shields, deputy athletics director at Kansas State. Amanda Braun, athletics director at Milwaukee; Janice Ruggiero, deputy director of athletics and senior woman administrator at New Mexico; and Lynn Tighe, senior associate athletics director and senior woman administrator at Villanova. Committee chair, Nina King, deputy athletics director and chief of staff at Duke University and committee member Debbie Richardson, senior associate commissioner of the Atlantic 10 Conference.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
I think Lotrader might be thinking Oregon State is disrespected in his latest Creme bracket release. Creme does not have Oregon State penciled in as much as some want that.
Well, FWIW I would rather see Oregon State make the field before Utah and Colorado, as well as the likes of Boston College, Miami, Duke and Mississippi State, all of whom are somehow in his current bracket. However, I also understand that everything about their actual resume of wins and losses screams bubble team. The loss to Cal really hurts, but the road win at Oregon may just save their bacon.

Reaction Score
And what does this mean. Wednesday?
OSU was originally scheduled to play at WSU on Friday 21 January, but WSU had Covid issues. The game was rescheduled and played Wednesday 26 January, in Pullman.

My point was, this game was not an away game for WSU as the original poster stated.

Reaction Score
Well, FWIW I would rather see Oregon State make the field before Utah and Colorado, as well as the likes of Boston College, Miami, Duke and Mississippi State, all of whom are somehow in his current bracket. However, I also understand that everything about their actual resume of wins and losses screams bubble team. The loss to Cal really hurts, but the road win at Oregon may just save their bacon.

OSU beat Cal.

Reaction Score
It seems to be a common misperception, as a holdover from the RPI era, that a team's NET ranking is hurt by a weak schedule.

The NET purports to measure a team's performance relative to its schedule (MOV, efficiency, etc.), and teams with weak schedules can end up with NET rankings that are ostensibly too high. Examples include Utah in the mid-20s and Colorado in the low-30s of the NET. Same goes for North Carolina, which played a dreadful nonconference schedule and yet has been in the top 5 of the NET all season long.
Excellent job noting NC’s high NET ranking from the very beginning of the season. Such a soft schedule OOC. The were way over ranked

Reaction Score
WSU really played themselves into the dance last weekend. Currently tied for a second with the ducks quack quack after losing to Stanford WSU enter the pack 12 tournament in third place. I would find it stunning if they weren't in the dance as of now but after winning one game in the tournament I think they're in.

The Devil's bone crushing loss to the Huskies really dashes any hope that CTT has of taking her team to the dance. In a bizarro fantasy world in which the Sun Devils run the table in the tournament they get to go. However even my fantasies don't extend that far.

This is senior weekend in Tempe and it'll be interesting to see how the team reacts after the three game losing streak on the road. I would hope that ASU can take care of the Trojans but I think the Bruins may give the Devil's trouble. In any event Devils end the season near .500 and are outside looking in for the dance this year.
ASU just didn’t look right against WSU. They just don’t show up on the road 1-8. They belong in the WNIT

Reaction Score

Devils will beat UCLA. UCLA is having problems with players maintaining focus and when there game goes down another player is affected. The talent isn’t as good as Coach Close says either

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
OSU beat Cal.
LOL I have no idea where I got that from.

Only reinforces that OSU should be ahead of UT and CO in the bubble scrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom