Pac 12 tourney | The Boneyard

Pac 12 tourney

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'll start a new thread for this one. I figured the tourney could be fairly unpredictable. Well...first game UCLA had a 4th quarter meltdown and had to go to OT with Arizona St. Have it firmly in hand now. I think that is just a preview of what is to come. Like I said before, just about anybody can beat anybody in Vegas.

Reaction Score
I posted in the PAC-12 thread first, sorry I didn't see this sooner.

I tuned in late, so I didn't know until the post game that apparently UCLA squandered away a 19 point lead to bring the game to OT! :eek:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I posted in the PAC-12 thread first, sorry I didn't see this sooner.
I think we were posting pretty much simultaneously, so this new thread wasn't even available yet.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stinking Washington's abysmal offense lets them down again. Lost 52-20 to Oregon, scored 21 after halftime. This team easily could've won 20+ games if they had ANY kind of offensive punch.

Reaction Score
Ducks squeak by UW. Face Stanford tomorrow with kind of a walking wounded lineup. Upset win seems unlikely. Finish with a 17-14 record and a #18 NET (???). Might be better off in the WNIT as far as having a successful run. Maybe even a home game or two. Coach and team unlikely to settle though and will accept whatever bid they can get from the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
Ducks squeak by UW. Face Stanford tomorrow with kind of a walking wounded lineup. Upset win seems unlikely. Finish with a 17-14 record and a #18 NET (???). Might be better off in the WNIT as far as having a successful run. Maybe even a home game or two. Coach and team unlikely to settle though and will accept whatever bid they can get from the NCAA tournament.
Better for recruiting to say you were in the big dance than WNIT.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Cal led for a while, but Wazzu pulled away in the 2nd half. It looks like. Leger-Walker got the better of Curry in the scoring duel.

I liked what I saw of Mastrov when she enrolled at Cal early and played down the stretch of what should've been her Sr. year of HS. Fast forward several years and she has never become a big contributor. Looks like she had a nice game off the bench today.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
1 game left, USC vs. Oregon St. No shockers today, but mostly tightly contested games.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
TVO stepping aside due to her injury is probably the best thing that happened to OSU all year. Blacklock has really come on strong ever since.

Reaction Score
Heck. If the Lady Vols get into the NCAA tournament with 11 or 12 defeats, might as well let the Ducks in. Not the prettiest of wins for Oregon, but I am glad that they won. On to face Stanford. Let's go, Ducks!!

Reaction Score
Heck. If the Lady Vols get into the NCAA tournament with 11 or 12 defeats, might as well let the Ducks in. Not the prettiest of wins for Oregon, but I am glad that they won. On to face Stanford. Let's go, Ducks!!

And Charlie Creme

"Oregon kept their season/tournament hopes alive with that comeback… for now.."

Reaction Score
Heck. If the Lady Vols get into the NCAA tournament with 11 or 12 defeats, might as well let the Ducks in. Not the prettiest of wins for Oregon, but I am glad that they won. On to face Stanford. Let's go, Ducks!
Let's look at that statement. Tennessee will have, at most, 11 defeats. Oregon will have, at most, 14 defeats. Pretty significant difference.

Both have played tough schedules. In fact, both have played 15 Quad One opponents. (Only a handfull like Stanford, Uconn, NC State have played more) Tennessee's record is 5-10 and they have no losses outside of Quad One. Oregon's record is 3-12 vs. Quad One teams AND they have a Quad Two loss as well? Common opponents? Tennessee beat Colorado. Oregon lost. Neither has wins over other commons opponents like Stanford and UCLA.

I think it is unquestionable that Tennessee deserves a Bid out of 68 teams, Oregon is significantly behind them. Is Oregon deserving of a bid out of 68 teams? I would say yes becuase the worst record that can end up with (17-14) is over .500 . Whyy should they be penalized for playing 15 Quad One teams when you have an LSU in the Top 8 seeds while playing only six Q-1s (to date)?

Does Tennessee deserve a top 16 seed (or even 32) due to their present NET rank of 15? Now you have an argument. You can throw Texas into that discussion as well.

Reaction Score
If a team wins their conference tournament, do they get an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament?

Reaction Score
Let's look at that statement. Tennessee will have, at most, 11 defeats. Oregon will have, at most, 14 defeats. Pretty significant difference.

Both have played tough schedules. In fact, both have played 15 Quad One opponents. (Only a handfull like Stanford, Uconn, NC State have played more) Tennessee's record is 5-10 and they have no losses outside of Quad One. Oregon's record is 3-12 vs. Quad One teams AND they have a Quad Two loss as well? Common opponents? Tennessee beat Colorado. Oregon lost. Neither has wins over other commons opponents like Stanford and UCLA.

I think it is unquestionable that Tennessee deserves a Bid out of 68 teams, Oregon is significantly behind them. Is Oregon deserving of a bid out of 68 teams? I would say yes becuase the worst record that can end up with (17-14) is over .500 . Whyy should they be penalized for playing 15 Quad One teams when you have an LSU in the Top 8 seeds while playing only six Q-1s (to date)?

Does Tennessee deserve a top 16 seed (or even 32) due to their present NET rank of 15? Now you have an argument. You can throw Texas into that discussion as well.

So, basically what you are saying is, the Lady Vols deserve a seat at the table because they were able to schedule 15 Quad One teams, even though they have lost quite a few of those games, they are worthy of a spot at the table based on them getting those Quad One teams. Meanwhile, a team like Cleveland State (27-4/17-3) & Bowling Green (25-4/14-3), because they couldn't get those Quad One teams on the schedule, don't deserve a seat at the table? As for the seedings. I am sure that after the conference tournaments, there may be some movement. If not, it is what it is. Like I always say, I am just looking forward to Selection Day and seeing how this all plays out.

Reaction Score
If a team wins their conference tournament, do they get an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament?
yes. And that means EVERY conference - not just P-5/6. That means 32 tourney champions will be automatic qualifiers. That leaves 36 spots open for Non-AQs. But don't get thrown off by that number 36. That doesn't mean Only the top NET 36 ranked teams are all that will get in because many (at least six and possibly 10 of the top ranked teams are also AQ.s. So, in looking at the NET top rankings. lets estimate that the top 40-ish NET ranked teams are almost shoe-ins.

I hope that's not too confusing

Reaction Score
So, basically what you are saying is, the Lady Vols deserve a seat at the table because they were able to schedule 15 Quad One teams, even though they have lost quite a few of those games, they are worthy of a spot at the table based on them getting those Quad One teams. Meanwhile, a team like Cleveland State (27-4/17-3) & Bowling Green (25-4/14-3), because they couldn't get those Quad One teams on the schedule, don't deserve a seat at the table? As for the seedings. I am sure that after the conference tournaments, there may be some movement. If not, it is what it is. Like I always say, I am just looking forward to Selection Day and seeing how this all plays out.
No. I'm saying that, when compared to half the field of 68, they have beaten 5 Quad one teams and their team losses have all been to Quad One teams. They are deserving.

Bowling Green? C'mon . . . are you serious?

Let's look at it on a who-have-you-beaten and who-have-you lost-to basis that I'm sure you would want to apply to LSU.. Bowling Green has no Quad One wins - zero. . and one quad one loss. That means they have not beaten anybody in the Top 75-ish teams.

They have two Quad Two wins and one quad two loss. That's means that they have beaten two top 75ish through 175-ish team.

They also lost two games through two teams that are in the 161-361 range! That alone should disqualify them. Maybe one such loss when your team has the flu but not two.

No. They simply are not good enough to deserve a seed unless they win their conference championship.

Oh yeah, my Quad analysis should apply to LSU as well, and they should not be considered for a top 8 seed.

And NO. I do not like defending Tennessee! And to repeat, their NET ranking is too high.

@amb3096

72 Bowling Green
Mid-American (14-3)
24-4N/A10-1N/A10-213-21-00-12-19-013-2218119

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Okay SEC fans, take it to your own thread please! This is about the Pac 12 tourney.
Good point, but we SEC fans didn't raise the issue. It came up in comparison to Oregon.

Everybody else, nwhoopfan is right!

Let's take the pro/anti Tennessee seeding discussion to the SEC thread. @JellyBean

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom