Overreactions | The Boneyard

Overreactions

Reaction Score
I just want to say that I think the board is overreacting a bit. I look around the NCAA every night and see teams from the ACC, B10, B12, SEC, Pac12, you name it, all having off nights. One night a perceived top 10 team is losing to a non ranked conference opponent, and 2 nights later that same team is beating a top 10 team by 25 points. The Big East is no exception. This is not the AAC where losing to Tulsa or E. Carolina is detrimental. None of it makes sense, and you can only chalk it up to either a covid-ridden season with interruptions, or the competition level is very close this year between teams.

The sky is not falling, In Hurley we trust and he will get this team to bounce back. Yes, he made mistakes last game, I do believe he is a good enough coach to correct those mistakes, and I hope the assistants are in his ear. One thing I do know, he didn't get to this level after turning around 2 other college programs by being dumb. He looks at the tape, he obsesses over it. He won't be able to sleep for 2 nights at least. He will see his mistakes, and for God's sake, he isn't losing the team over 1 game, and he certainly isn't losing Sanogo over an in game tactical move. Let's not forget that he is missing his best player, and getting the team to play with a different identity is not an easy task, and he was able to go 3-0 on a road trip this way (I include Marquette but that's debatable I suppose).

Let's give him and the team a chance to right the ship vs Creighton. No one here is expecting a win, but we all believe that it is possible. I just want to see a strong performance from our guys. An inspired, hard fought, ferocious Defense, all out effort type of game.

Reaction Score
Let's not forget that he missing his best player, and getting the team to play with a different identity is not an easy task,

I've snipped what I believe is the key point. This is Bouknight's team, and it will go as far as Bouknight will take them. How far would the 2011 team have gone without Kemba? Or the 2014 team without Bazz? This is not a deep tournament team without Bouk, and the only solution to this hard fact is to get Bouk back. Even if, by some magic, this team could redefine itself -- become Sanogo's team in the interim -- it would only have to re-redefine itself when Bouk returned. Let's be patient.

Reaction Score
Nothing will compare to the George Mason loss... just saying.

We knew coming into this season we were going to be good but the next 2 years we should be great. I’ll get mad when we lose to St. John’s with the deep roster we have in the coming years. Not now, especially without our best player and potential future replacement out with a broken wrist. I’m still optimistic but nervous about how we perform against Creighton.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This is not the AAC where losing to Tulsa or E. Carolina is detrimental. None of it makes sense, and you can only chalk it up to either a covid-ridden season with interruptions, or the competition level is very close this year between teams.
Agree. Though I would have obviously preferred to take a loss to the likes of a ranked 'Nova vs. 7-7 St. Johns.

Reaction Score
Agree. Though I would have obviously preferred to take a loss to the likes of a ranked 'Nova vs. 7-7 St. Johns.

I can agree.

Albeit, St. John’s falls in the category of teams we shouldn’t lose to. Throw Providence and DePaul in that category as well. There’s historic significance to Georgetown so I’ll give them a break although we shouldn’t lose to them either. Hall is now respectable so they get a pass. I can lose to the rest of the pack and not be as upset about it as I was St. John’s in terms of how we lost.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I just want to say that I think the board is overreacting a bit. I look around the NCAA every night and see teams from the ACC, B10, B12, SEC, Pac12, you name it, all having off nights. One night a perceived top 10 team is losing to a non ranked conference opponent, and 2 nights later that same team is beating a top 10 team by 25 points. The Big East is no exception. This is not the AAC where losing to Tulsa or E. Carolina is detrimental. None of it makes sense, and you can only chalk it up to either a covid-ridden season with interruptions, or the competition level is very close this year between teams.

The sky is not falling, In Hurley we trust and he will get this team to bounce back. Yes, he made mistakes last game, I do believe he is a good enough coach to correct those mistakes, and I hope the assistants are in his ear. One thing I do know, he didn't get to this level after turning around 2 other college programs by being dumb. He looks at the tape, he obsesses over it. He won't be able to sleep for 2 nights at least. He will see his mistakes, and for God's sake, he isn't losing the team over 1 game, and he certainly isn't losing Sanogo over an in game tactical move. Let's not forget that he is missing his best player, and getting the team to play with a different identity is not an easy task, and he was able to go 3-0 on a road trip this way (I include Marquette but that's debatable I suppose).

Let's give him and the team a chance to right the ship vs Creighton. No one here is expecting a win, but we all believe that it is possible. I just want to see a strong performance from our guys. An inspired, hard fought, ferocious Defense, all out effort type of game.

The problem many on this board have, including me, is that Hurley is not learning from his mistakes. He has been allocating minutes wrong all season, and it isn't going to get better. The help defense only works if there are two forwards on the court. This has been a problem going back to last year. We NEVER, and I mean NEVER, hit the screener on the pick and roll. Actually, we don't seem to pass to the forwards at all near the basket.

The coach has to be no worse than a neutral, and he is usually a net negative on game day.

I would love to see improvement not just by the players, but by the coach too.

Reaction Score
Creighton lost to Butler. Teams have hot nights, cold nights, inspired nights, lethargic nights. These things happen in the Big East. Especially in COVID times, and to all teams.

Let's move on, you insufferable yet loveable Boneyarders.

Reaction Score

I don't think we really had an off night. We had a pretty normal night. Not horrible, but not great either.

Not sure who we think this team is without our best player. We are a middle of the pack Big East team. Maybe lower middle. And we lost to a lower middle of the pack team. The difference between us and St John's without Bouk is not that great.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
St J was did not have their 2nd best player most of the game... so com'on, this loss not sitting well. We make our free throws and stay with the formula we had and we win!

Reaction Score

bless bryan safi GIF by Throwing Shade

Reaction Score
Creighton lost to Butler. Teams have hot nights, cold nights, inspired nights, lethargic nights. These things happen in the Big East. Especially in COVID times, and to all teams.

I agree for the most part but what makes this loss particularly bad are a few things : for starters , not having sanogo out there there was a joke - secondly, The missed free throws down the stretch were bad and , most importantly , St Johns was a game that we needed to win during these next 5-6 games without Bouknight - that’s the main reason why this loss is going to really sting, until we get another W(beating creighton will erase that in a few seconds ) but we could easily lose our next 3-4 games -!that’s why this team has to win the games they are supposed to win while bouknight is out!! otherwise , I agree with everything everybody is saying about a single loss is not that big of a deal. I Mean there’s never a great time for a loss but this one was a tough one -we were at home, national TV holiday game , favored by seven , pretty much in control for most of the game - and to lose like that - tough

Reaction Score
This place just can't handle a loss

Simple explanation. More than casual (Chief term, all due credit given) fans want to feel that the program truly is back. A loss to a .500 ish St. Johns team isn't going to sit well given that Sanogo was inexplicably pulled despite being our best offensive weapon that afternoon.

Without Bouk, our margin of error is thin. Sanogo needs to be on the floor. Go to war with your warriors, he is certainly one of them.

Reaction Score
The problem many on this board have, including me, is that Hurley is not learning from his mistakes. He has been allocating minutes wrong all season, and it isn't going to get better. The help defense only works if there are two forwards on the court. This has been a problem going back to last year. We NEVER, and I mean NEVER, hit the screener on the pick and roll. Actually, we don't seem to pass to the forwards at all near the basket.

The coach has to be no worse than a neutral, and he is usually a net negative on game day.

I would love to see improvement not just by the players, but by the coach too.
How did Hurley get the job and not you?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

It's not an overreaction in that twice now the Huskies have blown home games where they had control with 2 minutes to go. One was against a top tier NCAA contender team and one was against a BE bottom feeder.

And there were common themes in both games of players puckering up at the end and coaches not controlling the TO's and subsitutions at the end.

If you are suggesting that we not overreact to a loss to a team with a lower record, I think most fans know and understand that.

Reaction Score
This Board has always been used to perfection . . . . at least talking about it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I thought it sucked and I think Coach was the biggest problem. But yes, let's move on. Unfortunately we don't get to see our Dogs curb stomp Xavier, which is what usually allows us to move on.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Donny Marshall at the end said that SJU stole the game away from us. That's why it stinks . It definately left a bad taste in the mouth. I try not to participate in the overreaction soon after as I try to remain optimistic .... just have to hold the fort until Bouk returns. I think we will.

Reaction Score
We got spoiled without Bouknight and assumed a win. Simple. I expect the boneyard to overreact.

Reaction Score
Yes all teams have bad games, but it's how they lost this game. Hurley didn't play the player who had been the best player on the floor of the second half for the last 10+ minutes of the game.

I said it in another post... I love Whaley, but he looked tired and slow. Sanogo was active and had a stretch where he was the difference maker at both ends. He was scoring, blocked a shot and helped force a few turnovers. He helped build a lead and even when it was melting away,, no Sanogo.

It just felt like a football coach who started trying to run the clock out too early on. THROW THE FREAKIN' BALL! or 'stick with what brung ya'

That said, I love that Hurley is our coach. He's still learning, hopefully.

Reaction Score
I think we should appease the mojo gods and switch from hot sauce to Rolling Rock.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom