Outshot maybe? Outhustled? Possible. But bullied? Never thought they'd be bullied. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Outshot maybe? Outhustled? Possible. But bullied? Never thought they'd be bullied.

Reaction Score
Ref bitchin in chat is one thing but post game is another. Jay Wright has seen so many Bouknights he had a plan and they stifled him. No one else could step up.
They tripled Bouk & beat the crap out of him and nobody else could make a shot consistently.

Reaction Score
Whaley is truly, truly, not good anymore. What happened to him?
He was always a bad shooter with no touch But he defended. Did you see some of his masonry today?

Reaction Score
We got bullied by a 5'10" white guy!! to make matters worse!!
To be clear, he’s 6’3-6’4 senior who uses his body extremely well and plays 1980s style ball. He’s a tough guard, and the refs absolutely let things go with him. The shoulder leans didn’t bother me as much as the arm hooks on the baseline, but he’s definitely patient, made 2 absolute dagger 3s, and he’s just a very good college player. (And the first player in the NBE I love to hate, which is a great feeling to have again by the way.)

having said that...we absolutely stifled Jermaine Samuels. I thought overall we did really well on JRE considering IWs play today, and we were in it with a minute Togo despite an 0-8 stretch from Bouk over the first 10 minutes of the second half.

we need to rely on younger guys other than Bouk every game, and we need to step it up soon for sure if we’re going to get to that point this season.

Still look back on this game as a solid effort against a very talented top 10 team

Reaction Score
To be clear, he’s 6’3-6’4 senior who uses his body extremely well and plays 1980s style ball. He’s a tough guard, and the refs absolutely let things go with him. The shoulder leans didn’t bother me as much as the arm hooks on the baseline, but he’s definitely patient, made 2 absolute dagger 3s, and he’s just a very good college player. (And the first player in the NBE I love to hate, which is a great feeling to have again by the way.)

having said that...we absolutely stifled Jermaine Samuels. I thought overall we did really well on JRE considering IWs play today, and we were in it with a minute Togo despite an 0-8 stretch from Bouk over the first 10 minutes of the second half.

we need to rely on younger guys other than Bouk every game, and we need to step it up soon for sure if we’re going to get to that point this season.

Still look back on this game as a solid effort against a very talented top 10 team
If Gillespie is 6'4 then I'm 7 feet. Give me a break.

Reaction Score

Did they say mark jackson reference to Gillespie today? That would sum up the post game

Reaction Score
Ref bitchin in chat is one thing but post game is another. Jay Wright has seen so many Bouknights he had a plan and they stifled him. No one else could step up.
Bouk would have had 40 if he didn’t hurt the elbow.

Reaction Score
Would have had 30 if Hurley didn't play him 36 minutes today. Too many minutes for his 2nd game back, against a high ranked team. Bouk played the most minutes on the team, and only second to Gillespie (37) for the game.

Plus I noticed him hobbling after he ran back after getting the ball stolen. I saw him flexing his hands repeatedly, after he fell hard on his arm/elbow. I saw his leg 'acting up'. I saw him winded/panting quite often during the game. I saw him shorting his jump shots, missing foul shots (4-8), making fatigue mistakes, lazy/telegraphed passes, playing unusually off kilter and grabbing his shorts resting on defense.

I don't blame Hurley per se, but the coaching staff collective. The assistants should have been eagle eyed to spot what I noted above as they are right there. Furthermore in hindsight Bouk's 1st half effort seemed to take a lot of out of him, then add Jay Wright's game plan executed to perfection in the 2nd half. You could sense he was trying too hard, uncharacteristically forcing things.

All this to say, I really think if Bouk's minutes were in the 20s, he could have got 30 easily. And possibly take us home down the stretch.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We didn't make shots & Bouk was bad in the 2nd half....either exhausted or in pain or both.

Team way to reliant on Bouk to save the day, should have rested him early in 2nd half & let others get going.
Bouk could’ve used a breather. Was physically not the same after he got hurt.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Would have had 30 if Hurley didn't play him 36 minutes today. Too many minutes for his 2nd game back, against a high ranked team. Bouk played the most minutes on the team, and only second to Gillespie (37) for the game.

Plus I noticed him hobbling after he ran back after getting the ball stolen. I saw him flexing his hands repeatedly, after he hard fell on his elbow. I saw his leg 'acting up'. I saw him winded/panting quite often during the game. I saw him shorting his jump shots, missing foul shots (4-8), making fatigue mistakes, lazy/telegraphed passes, playing unusually off kilter and grabbing his shorts resting on defense.

I don't blame Hurley per se, but the coaching staff collective. The assistants should have been eagle eyed to spot what I noted above as they are right there. Furthermore in hindsight Bouk's 1st half effort seemed to take a lot of out of him, then add Jay Wright's game plan executed to perfection in the 2nd half. You could sense he was trying too hard, uncharacteristically forcing things.

All this to say, I really think if Bouk's minutes were in the 20s, he could have got 30 easily. And possibly take us home down the stretch.
Not sure enough about the 30 certainty, but point taken and not far off.

Reaction Score
Well Wright's plan was to back down Cole/Gaffney, one on one, none of our bigs offered any help in the first half. Perhaps we see it better on TV but this was happening a lot. They did not beat us outside with 3's. Our defense held them in the 60's, the coaches sweet spot but we also have to shoot better than 33% overall and 20% outside.

Reaction Score
Our guards did get bullied. Nova drove the ball better than we did in the second half. Outside shots weren't falling for us and it looked like each player was taking turns trying to make something happen. If we play them again maybe we will have a plan. Our defenders let Nova drive the baseline. No one learned to close it off with their baseline foot? There were many screwups the team can watch the tape and learn from. The better team won.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
actually, i think he just ran out of gas early. normally, he's all in the whole game, but he started falling just short on shots in 2nd half. no big deal, his game legs are clearly coming back. and his whacking the spot where they just cut a piece of bone off is also no big deal, an ouchy. 40? definitely. his fatigue was the difference in the game. also, it's starting to feel like coach is backing down on his hopes for tyler to do anything, cuz he knows that it's getting late, early, and it's time to pick the stretch run squad.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
From the beginning Gillespie was dropping his shoulder and driving into and over Cole. No fouls. And as far as beefy they are a lot beefier than Uconn with the exception of Martin and Sanogo. Villanova didn't make a lot of stupid mistakes, played calm and didn't whine everytime a foul was/wasn't called. They looked like they expected to win by executing their game plan. We have a lot of young, talented and inexperienced players and some older players that will be replaced by more talented recruits next year. We are transitioning and getting the experience that will help next year. Running the table in the next four games to close out the season would be nice before the Big East Tournament.

Reaction Score
Those end of shot clock 3s at the end killed us. We were right there if not for them. Even with every out bounds going to Nova and the phantom fouls. Teams are going to knock Bouk around.

Reaction Score
Gaffney brings no physical presence to our lineup and Nova took advantage of that. Bouknight can make shots but he still looked like a toothpick today compared to Nova's lineup. His quickness is top notch though. He needs more help. The team Hurley wants is still not here yet.

Reaction Score
Give credit where credit is due. Gillespie backed down every one of our guards, hit two 3 point daggers towards the end of the game. They outscored us by 10 in the paint. I haven't seen a guard back down guards this much in a game since Sam Cassell - first with Cole and then with Gaffney. He basically initiated the offense in the paint. Kudos, he's a senior and played like one.

Our problem? We can't shoot. Outside, inside, and even the free throws at the beginning of the game. We started out 0-4 at the FT line and made our first FT with 6:55 left in the half.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You said cover Gillespie not score. Martin is a defensive stud.
Jackson is better for that assignment. He could play Gillespie straight up. Unfortunately fouls kept him off floor.

Reaction Score
Kind of shocked that a team that is a lot less beefy would bully us around like this.
It's what surprised me, Nova is better coached and their system has been in place for so long but we're the more athletic and bigger team. I thought Nova would out shoot us but didn't think they would get more tough guy points.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom