Our tailgate Independent schedule discussions...... | The Boneyard

Our tailgate Independent schedule discussions......

Reaction Score
During our first two tailgates after a few drinks yesterday of talking independent schedule we came up the bus schedule. Our discussion would be how nice it would be not to get on a plane. The excitement of playing our true rivals and getting fans excited about the schedule. Heck even more visitor sections will be full. There was excitement in our discussion but followed yeah that would be nice but don't hold your breath.

Some thought some of these games were doable others thought pipe dream and others thought maybe if we give them a basketball game as a trade off.

So do you like the schedule?
Which games are realistic?
Which games we have no shot at?

• 1) 1AA Opponent (Villanova & Big East Basketball member)
  • 2) Maryland (BIG 10)
  • 3) Rutgers (BIG 10). Trophy game the Tri-State Trophy
  • 4) Army (Independent)
  • 5) Boston College (ACC) (Thanksgiving weekend) Trophy Game New England Trophy
  • 6) Pitt (ACC)
  • 7) Syracuse (ACC)
  • 8) Penn St (BIG 10)
  • 9) West Virginia (BIG 12)
  • 10) Buffalo (MAC)
  • 11) UMASS (Independent)
  • 12) Temple (American)

Reaction Score
UMass would end up being the Thanksgiving game.

Reaction Score
I like the schedule and I think they’re all realistic.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
During our first two tailgates after a few drinks yesterday of talking independent schedule we came up the bus schedule. Our discussion would be how nice it would be not to get on a plane. The excitement of playing our true rivals and getting fans excited about the schedule. Heck even more visitor sections will be full. There was excitement in our discussion but followed yeah that would be nice but don't hold your breath.

Some thought some of these games were doable others thought pipe dream and others thought maybe if we give them a basketball game as a trade off.

• 2) Maryland (BIG 10)
  • 4) Army (Independent)
  • 6) Pitt (ACC)
  • 7) Syracuse (ACC)
  • 8) Penn St (BIG 10)
  • 10) Buffalo (MAC)
  • 12) Temple (American)
That’d be one hell of schedule.

Reaction Score

• 2) Maryland (BIG 10)
  • 4) Army (Independent)
  • 6) Pitt (ACC)
  • 7) Syracuse (ACC)
  • 8) Penn St (BIG 10)
  • 10) Buffalo (MAC)
  • 12) Temple (American)
Drinking is a wonderful thing and ideas while drinking always seem brilliant. Great schedule but why are 3 B1G and 3 ACC teams scheduling Uconn?

The no shots MD, Penn State, Pitt, UWV. Uconn adds nothing to their schedule and recruiting needs.

Realistic Umass, Army, Buffalo, Nova/FCS.

Maybe but not annually Cuse, RU, BC (no way a trophy game.Why would BC put weight on a game with Uconn and do you really want to create another after the Civil ConnFLiCT?)

Reaction Score
Drinking is a wonderful thing and ideas while drinking always seem brilliant. Great schedule but why are 3 B1G and 3 ACC teams scheduling Uconn?

The no shots MD, Penn State, Pitt, UWV. Uconn adds nothing to their schedule and recruiting needs.

Realistic Umass, Army, Buffalo, Nova/FCS.

Maybe but not annually Cuse, RU, BC (no way a trophy game.Why would BC put weight on a game with Uconn and do you really want to create another after the Civil ConnFLiCT?)
the conflict was forced down our throats it was not natural rival nor logistically made sense.......Rutgers/BC is a natural rival BE rival, similar to Pitt West Virginia backyard brawl

No shots but......
Pen state played buffalo
Pitt played ohio
Maryland plays temple
West Virginia played James Madison

I got to believe the Uconn brand is more appealing than those teams that are coming to their stadiums

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It’s a matter of P5 availability in the final two thirds of the season.

Yep. All four of the teams mentioned play all their OOC games in September. I would think that's the case with almost all P5 teams.

I think UConn could get on any of those schedules (maybe not Maryland due to Edsall), but it'll be years from now and in September.

Reaction Score
We can be of interest to UMD since they are also big on basketball. Pitt is a maybe. Play a neutral site men's bball game in NYC at MSG or Barclays. WVU is also big on basketball but our history with them has been a lot of beatdowns in football.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The B1G teams have 3 and only 3 non-conference slots on their schedule every year. Assume for a second that none of them want to commit to playing UConn every year, if at all. The best you can possibly hope for is home and home 2-game deals with the bottom half teams east of the Mississippi.

Illinois
Indiana
Maryland
Northwestern
Purdue
Rutgers

Now assume you can get one buy game against one of the other eastern power teams every other year. I think that is overly optimistic as these teams what three things from their OOC, Strength of Schedule, exposure to targeted recruiting areas, a seven home game. Since we can't provide the first two, lets talk about the third. Yes, we can offer up a better version of the paid one off, no-return game opponent assuming we get better on the field. Problem is the with a 9-game schedule B1G teams are guaranteed 7 home games every other year. Therefore there is no bankable reason for the top B1G teams to schedule us at all other than as a personal favor between the people making the schedule.

Even with the scenario described you are looking at 2-3 B1G games per year as an absolute ceiling. After you run through six teams listed and grab 3 buy games, 6-7 years have passed and the well will run dry. Illinois has no reason to play us again so soon after next year's return game. Will they want another round 5 years later? I doubt it.

Now do the same with the ACC. You quickly see how hard this is, even with commitments from the other Independents (not named ND) to play every year. UMass should want to play every year, Army might as a short trip. LIberty and NMst might. BYU won't and ND certainly won't but lets play along.

4 indy games (UMass, Army, Liberty, and NMst, occasionally swapped out with BYU)
3 P5 games (See B1G analysis above and replace with other P5 teams as part of a realistic rotation)
1 FCS game

That leaves 4 games from a pool of (AAC, MAC, CUSA, Sunbelt, and the odd SEC mid November buy game)

That is I think the best possible outcome for future scheduling, 1 game per year from each of the B1G, ACC, B1G early in the season around the 1 FCS game, 4 games from the other Indy's, 1 game from each of the other G5 schools listed.

That's 12. If we can get an annual game with the local P5 schools, that'd be great but also a huge surprise.

Reaction Score
If we had to play a team twice a season for a few years, which team would you pick?

Reaction Score
I know it’s been a rough few years and conference realignment has been difficult but the UConn brand is way stronger than some want to believe. Every team listed above is within reason and some of these may end up on the schedule in the coming years along with some other big names no one is even thinking about. I know I’ll probably get torched for this but the leadership may actually know what they are doing in this case.

Reaction Score
Playing a team every so often -- say, 2 out of 8 or 10 years -- is possible. Thinking those teams, in P5 conferences are going to play us every year, is crazy. No P5 team is going to play us every year.

I remain of the opinion this is not a workable solution for very long. But I don't intend to dwell on it -- I'd rather enjoy FBS football as long as I can. But some hypotheticals deserve a response and this was one.

Reaction Score
I know it’s been a rough few years and conference realignment has been difficult but the UConn brand is way stronger than some want to believe. Every team listed above is within reason and some of these may end up on the schedule in the coming years along with some other big names no one is even thinking about. I know I’ll probably get torched for this but the leadership may actually know what they are doing in this case.
Uconn is a FB independent. What brand are people buying? This not BB with multiple championships This is FB and look athe Uconn FB TV ratings before spouting about brand.

Let’s look at the brands of other independent FB programs. ND, Army and BYU are brands people will get on the schedule. They have national brand recognition in FB. People turn on TV to watch them play. Not bad places for return games either.

Everyone other independent including Uconn in FB, they are a big yawn and a step up from FCS for most of the country. No one is tuning in to watch except fans of Uconn and their opponents.

Reaction Score
The B1G teams have 3 and only 3 non-conference slots on their schedule every year. Assume for a second that none of them want to commit to playing UConn every year, if at all. The best you can possibly hope for is home and home 2-game deals with the bottom half teams east of the Mississippi.

Illinois
Indiana
Maryland
Northwestern
Purdue
Rutgers

Now assume you can get one buy game against one of the other eastern power teams every other year. I think that is overly optimistic as these teams what three things from their OOC, Strength of Schedule, exposure to targeted recruiting areas, a seven home game. Since we can't provide the first two, lets talk about the third. Yes, we can offer up a better version of the paid one off, no-return game opponent assuming we get better on the field. Problem is the with a 9-game schedule B1G teams are guaranteed 7 home games every other year. Therefore there is no bankable reason for the top B1G teams to schedule us at all other than as a personal favor between the people making the schedule.

Even with the scenario described you are looking at 2-3 B1G games per year as an absolute ceiling. After you run through six teams listed and grab 3 buy games, 6-7 years have passed and the well will run dry. Illinois has no reason to play us again so soon after next year's return game. Will they want another round 5 years later? I doubt it.

Now do the same with the ACC. You quickly see how hard this is, even with commitments from the other Independents (not named ND) to play every year. UMass should want to play every year, Army might as a short trip. LIberty and NMst might. BYU won't and ND certainly won't but lets play along.

4 indy games (UMass, Army, Liberty, and NMst, occasionally swapped out with BYU)
3 P5 games (See B1G analysis above and replace with other P5 teams as part of a realistic rotation)
1 FCS game

That leaves 4 games from a pool of (AAC, MAC, CUSA, Sunbelt, and the odd SEC mid November buy game)

That is I think the best possible outcome for future scheduling, 1 game per year from each of the B1G, ACC, B1G early in the season around the 1 FCS game, 4 games from the other Indy's, 1 game from each of the other G5 schools listed.

That's 12. If we can get an annual game with the local P5 schools, that'd be great but also a huge surprise.
You put in great detail pretty much my take on it. The P 5 schools have schedule constraints.

Reaction Score
I think it will generally be 1 fcs, 1 from among stronger programs on the road, a regional ACC (BC Syracuse Va). UMass, 2 aMAC/Sunbelt/CUSA, a mid tier Big 10/ACC, a Florida school an AAC, 3 indies and a wild card like PAC or B12

Reaction Score
You have to try and leverage the men's and woman's OOC basketball games with all our old Big East football foes as well as Maryland, Penn St,. and other Eastern Big 10 teams. Sign up for yearly matchups if possible. Then you fill in with the next level programs.

Reaction Score
Realistically, why not just play UMass as a home/home each year?

I'm sure we'd both benefit doing that as opposed to playing Coastal Carolina.

As long as we are both independent we absolutely should play UMASS twice a year, in fact it would be dumb not to. It is a rival, it saves money and it makes scheduling easier for both AD's and there is nothing weird about it, every other sport plays teams multiple times a year as does the NFL. Many FBS conference championship games involve teams playing for a second time.

Reaction Score
n
1568028205418.png

It’s not a conference, it’s an alliance of independents.

JMU, UD, and Nova would need to move up to FBS independents. You then have 5 annual games on the schedule that are regional and are positioned late in the schedule where P5 teams aren’t available.

Then you “only” have 7 games to fill. The OP list is good, but more realistic for 7 slots.

Fox Sports could support with an Alliance TV contract. Keep the games it wants for FS1 and FS2 and sub the rest to YES or SNY.

Nova, JMU, and UD already pay MAC level expenses. They are already much closer to MAC level than to a lower FCS like the Patriot or Ivies. It is not a big jump.

I think Cincy has some merit as an ongoing UConn rival. Playing UMass twice is interesting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom