Our Gabby - Euro Women's Final Four MVP...! | The Boneyard

Our Gabby - Euro Women's Final Four MVP...!

Reaction Score
How do I say this? Have never used someone's initials on my handle until GLW - Gabrielle Lisa Williams. The UConn player who tugged the heart the most from the time I started following them: 2001!

Now, should I change my handle from BlueSkyGLW to EmeraldGreenGLW?

Never had any doubt that the effects of missing the last two years in high school would be completely erased to show everyone what this young lady can do on the basketball court.

Incidentally, UConn alumni have had their share of EuroLeague WBB MVPs!

BTW, Katie Lou was back to lead Avenida to 3rd place finish!

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
She is going to be a better version of Clark. A great defender, able to handle the ball, score, and play 3 or 4 positions.
I'm sure we've gone around and around about this, but I'll believe when I see it. Her last couple years with Seattle IMO Clark was the best perimeter defender in the league, 50% shooter from 3, you never had to run any offense for her and any given game she could go out and get you 15 or 20 points.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Wow, I missed when she got all the additional tattoos.

She would've had to wear a long-sleeve sweater at UConn.
She's been itching while at UConn with that tape on her shoulder. I think this is why some don't come to UConn. Geno even called the kids dumb for getting tats at 17 etc. Gabby got her sleeve after her 1st season in the W

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Wow, I missed when she got all the additional tattoos.

She would've had to wear a long-sleeve sweater at UConn.
Many have tats on their sides, belly, back, and upper thighs while playing at UConn

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
How satisfying for Gabby to get the MVP in the most prestigious European competition. Unlike alot of American players in Europe, she has a strong European connection and heritage.

I was surprised that alot of WNBA players did not excel. I guess the defense is focused on them but Copper in particular seemed to have alot more trouble in the FF. On the other hand, Lou firing 3's without a conscience is just a joy.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

That's our “Gabulous” at her best. She is certainly making the best of her opportunities overseas. Very happy to see her making fame and fortune at the next level. She has improved her handle and her shooting percentage since entering the league. The Seattle Storm knew what they were doing and what they were getting when they traded with the Sparks for her on February 3.

Reaction Score
from Just Women's Sports:

short story: Gabby's 2022 revenge tour ! ! !

Williams, a versatile player, struggled with how many different roles she was asked to play during her time in Chicago.

• She’s always thrived in Europe, having won 2021 EuroLeague Defensive Player of the Year and been named to the All-EuroLeague First Team.
  • This year’s EuroLeague MVP award, however, went to former Sky teammate Kahleah Copper of Perfumerias Avenida.
The suspension of reigning EuroLeague champions UMMC Ekaterinburg, due to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, opened the door for a new winner.

• “I can’t believe this is real. It feels so good how everybody played, everyone contributed,” Williams said after the game. “I relied so much on my teammates today and it felt so good. We had so much trust in each other and so much passion.”
Bottom line: Williams’ exile from the WNBA finally appears to be over, and she’s coming into training camp off of the most successful season of her European career. This could be just the start of Williams’ revenge tour in 2022. (bold text mine)

Reaction Score
I'm sure we've gone around and around about this, but I'll believe when I see it. Her last couple years with Seattle IMO Clark was the best perimeter defender in the league, 50% shooter from 3, you never had to run any offense for her and any given game she could go out and get you 15 or 20 points.
Of course you didn't, run any offense for her, Stewie 1, Loyd 2, Howard 3, and Sue 4, a great amount of the time Clark was wide open. Because Stewie, Loyd, or Howard drew a double team.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Gabby our ever serious one. An absolute joy to see her so happy. A long challenging journey to these accomplishments.

PS. See what happens when you let someone with great potential play her natural position.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
BTW

I was surprised at the numbers of yong men in the audience. As its been for years the European camera work is very superior to US work.

Reaction Score
How did Ms. Clark do after she left Seattle and all those players she was around with?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
How satisfying for Gabby to get the MVP in the most prestigious European competition. Unlike alot of American players in Europe, she has a strong European connection and heritage.

I was surprised that alot of WNBA players did not excel. I guess the defense is focused on them but Copper in particular seemed to have alot more trouble in the FF. On the other hand, Lou firing 3's without a conscience is just a joy.
Copper has been playing on an injured ankle for awhile. She hurt it in the last game and had to be helped off the court, and hobbled out to the ceremony for the 3d place award. This short twitter video shows her still at the bench, Lou comes over, as she had trouble making it to the players.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Copper has been playing on an injured ankle for awhile. She hurt it in the last game and had to be helped off the court, and hobbled out to the ceremony for the 3d place award. This short twitter video shows her still at the bench, Lou comes over, as she had trouble making it to the players.

Oh. Did not know. :oops: Thanks.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
How did Ms. Clark do after she left Seattle and all those players she was around with?
Injured, missed all of last season, so no data to go off of yet.

edit--what we do know is that Seattle w/out Clark, Howard and Whitcomb wasn't nearly as good. Clark is only one of three players, so it's not all attributable to her, but certainly she was a factor in 2 Championships.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom