Our Current Starting 5 Are... | The Boneyard

Our Current Starting 5 Are...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Courageous!

I came across this quote this morning doing some work research and it grabbed my attention quickly after what we witnessed yesterday.

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don’t have the strength.” Teddy Roosevelt

Reaction Score
When running a marathon one can "hit the wall" when
your glucose/glycogen stores are depleted. The Huskies
are training / playing for how to function on the other side of the "WALL".
That said, it would be nice to have 7 - 8 ( or 9??) healthy bodies for Feb, March,
and APRIL.

Reaction Score
I want to see The Nine playing come March.

When you put it that way, they sound like the heroes they are: The Nine Samurai, The Nine Avengers, The Nine Warriors... you get the picture.

Reaction Score
Courageous!

I came across this quote this morning doing some work research and it grabbed my attention quickly after what we witnessed yesterday.

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don’t have the strength.” Teddy Roosevelt
Thank you, great quote, very apropos.

Reaction Score
Per HuskyNan above quoting Geno, all true. Looks as if Geno has some pearls like Coach Wooden. On another thread of "Our starting five are...". It all boils down to "have you been tested?". This is the crucible of the regular season and conference tournament, come NCAA tournament. The starters, for the most part, know it's on them to deliver. A sub here and there can help. But, in the end, you as the starter has the responsibility.

South Carolina - "Do you want a shot at the title?". If you want to be the man, you got to beat the man. (On a tangent, UConn needs to work on their zone D. I can't fathom why in all those years in the BE, Geno didn't pick up the intricacies of Boeheim's 2-3 defense, along with how to move players through the zone to counter.)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I want to see The Nine playing come March.

When you put it that way, they sound like the heroes they are: The Nine Samurai, The Nine Avengers, The Nine Warriors... you get the picture.
I dare anyone to name 5 starters in WCBB that are under more duress and pressure to perform (and are getting it done) than ours. Virtually no help or points from the bench. I’m not aware of any other starting 5 that are collectively playing as many minutes as ours are.

Reaction Score
I dare anyone to name 5 starters in WCBB that are under more duress and pressure to perform (and are getting it done) than ours. Virtually no help or points from the bench. I’m not aware of any other starting 5 that are collectively playing as many minutes as ours are.
According to the announcers on Sunday, only one team is.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
When running a marathon one can "hit the wall" when
your glucose/glycogen stores are depleted. The Huskies
are training / playing for how to function on the other side of the "WALL".
That said, it would be nice to have 7 - 8 ( or 9??) healthy bodies for Feb, March,
and APRIL.
How about 10, add Azzi and CD and UConn would have 10 available players.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Courageous! I came across this quote this morning doing some work research and it grabbed my attention quickly after what we witnessed yesterday. “Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don’t have the strength.” Teddy Roosevelt

This is, I think, an OT reply but if you're into history and are fascinated by Teddy Roosevelt, then I recommend reading River of Doubt: Theodore Rosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard. It chronicles his exploration of the Amazon after he lost his 3rd bid for the presidency running as a 3rd party candidate.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
"Our Current Starting Five Are...".

winning
"Our Current Starting Five Are...".

Tired.
Proving the two are not mutually exclusive. I however would not flinch or be rankled if Geno starts AP, Ines, and Amari against Providence. Or plays all three 20 minutes, win or lose.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i like how Teddy woke up one day as a young man and decided not to be 'sick' anymore, as his childhood was filled with everyone around him always pushing him to be 'sick.'
nika - all American caliber player.
lou -all American caliber player.
aubrey - all American caliber player.
aliyah- all American caliber player.
dorka- all American caliber player.

Geno The Great (est living basketball mind) is doing it, again. with an obvious historical bias to mostly playing five, but for those mega runs where 'next season' creeps into his thinking and getting some run for the 'futures,' if you listen closely to his words now, reflecting on the weirdness of the past few seasons and injuries, you can tell that he is all in on the now, becuz tomorrow may not be what you think it is.
really simple, actually. play the five as long as possible, cuz they're real good.
and they're around 20 years old.
fatigue and such are what old people talk aboot. not 20 year olds. and not coaches who have been at it for decades. winning coaches.

Reaction Score
This is, I think, an OT reply but if you're into history and are fascinated by Teddy Roosevelt, then I recommend reading River of Doubt: Theodore Rosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard. It chronicles his exploration of the Amazon after he lost his 3rd bid for the presidency running as a 3rd party candidate.

Thanks for that. I just reserved the audio book. I listen to books while running, working out, driving. I like telling people I enjoying driving because I read books at the same time. :eek: :D

Reaction Score
Our Current Starting Five Are… the best starting 5 in the country. Think about it, which team would you take their 5 over ours? Only one I can think of is Our Starting Five - with Azzi instead of ??

Reaction Score
Proving the two are not mutually exclusive. I however would not flinch or be rankled if Geno starts AP, Ines, and Amari against Providence. Or plays all three 20 minutes, win or lose.
" lose " ( IMO ) should not be in our pre-game vocabulary. If it happens.... it happens... I think that
is what you intended to say?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You seriously don't mind losing to Providence?????

How is that at all fair to Muhl, Senechal, Griffin, Edwards and Juhasz??? After all the work they've put in????

Ridiculous!!!

Reaction Score
Geno won't start AP, Amari, or Ines. But we should see all 3 get 10 plus minutes tonight. I don't think we will see Caroline till after South Carolina. No need to hurry for 1 physical game. We will need Caroline healthy for the national championship run.

JordyG

Reaction Score
You seriously don't mind losing to Providence?????

How is that at all fair to Muhl, Senechal, Griffin, Edwards and Juhasz??? After all the work they've put in????

Ridiculous!!!
Ah, a rare response. I suppose my post wasn't either too ludicrous to respond to, or too bonehead as to not require one. Which is what a discussion board is for.

No loss is good. But in reviewing the last game now 3 times, this team, which includes Geno, is IMO at the very precipice of having the physical wheels fall off. They're all, coaches included, mentally and physically tired. I would rather see a regular season loss to a bad team than have this team pushed further to the brink. Now I for one believe that soon after the SCar game Azzi may return, and as the recent article on CD mentioned, we may soon see her back on the court. But I defy every one on this board to re-watch that game and tell me this team doesn't look drained. As one wise coworker of mine once said, when you get tired you get sloppy, and when you get sloppy very bad things happen.

And as for fairness, well, we know what Steven A. Smith has said. I don't think any of them (nor I) would welcome a loss. But I don't think any of these kids want to see any further physical or mental breakdowns. Believe it or not, regular season before conference play is becoming less and less important, and IMO a loss at this point wouldn't hurt this team so badly as another injury.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
" lose " ( IMO ) should not be in our pre-game vocabulary. If it happens.... it happens... I think that
is what you intended to say?
Indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member