Our Bench | The Boneyard

Our Bench

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
First off, great win. They finally played with energy and a purpose against a very good team who was at full strength. We played a great first half, a good second half, and we finally closed out a game. If we play like that and Hurley coaches well I think we can cause problems going forward.

In the first half, our bench was clutch. Specifically Hawkins and Polley. I don't know if it was by design or the flow of the game but Hawkins played within himself and got the ball in perfect situations. Same with Polley.

We need them to continue to produce as we don't have a deep bench and we can't expect Martin and Sanogo to put up numbers like they did. I'm hoping Akok can recover fully because we need him going forward.

When we make our subs, our lineup cannot be Gaff, Hawkins, Polley, Jackson, Whaley as we have no leadership, no offensive rhythm, and no players who can get their own shot.

Gaffney needs to be benched for Diggin's. Diggins cannot play worse than Gaffney has this entire season. The eye test and his stats prove it. Tonight was the last chance for him to prove he deserves any minutes. Bring Diggins in with Cole so he can get a feel for the game and then take Cole out but leave Martin and Jackson in.

We're in the final stretch here and it's time to get everything right.

Reaction Score
First off, great win. They finally played with energy and a purpose against a very good team who was at full strength. We played a great first half, a good second half, and we finally closed out a game. If we play like that and Hurley coaches well I think we can cause problems going forward.

In the first half, our bench was clutch. Specifically Hawkins and Polley. I don't know if it was by design or the flow of the game but Hawkins played within himself and got the ball in perfect situations. Same with Polley.

We need them to continue to produce as we don't have a deep bench and we can't expect Martin and Sanogo to put up numbers like they did. I'm hoping Akok can recover fully because we need him going forward.

When we make our subs, our lineup cannot be Gaff, Hawkins, Polley, Jackson, Whaley as we have no leadership, no offensive rhythm, and no players who can get their own shot.

Gaffney needs to be benched for Diggin's. Diggins cannot play worse than Gaffney has this entire season. The eye test and his stats prove it. Tonight was the last chance for him to prove he deserves any minutes. Bring Diggins in with Cole so he can get a feel for the game and then take Cole out but leave Martin and Jackson in.

We're in the final stretch here and it's time to get everything right.
Whether you're right or wrong about Gaffney/Diggins, I don't think it's happening.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I agree that Diggins should get Gaffney's minutes, but that will never happen.
Whether you're right or wrong about Gaffney/Diggins, I don't think it's happening.
I know. And that may turn out to be what keeps us from getting to our potential this year. Especially if it’s the same next year but throw in Floyd

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Seems like either Martin or Cole always need to be on the floor to have someone capable of creating a shot with the clock winding down. Hurley needs to sub better so this happens.

Reaction Score
I'm not super confident about this statement, but I feel like Polley has been playing ok lately. Everyone stunk against Nova so I'm not really counting that. Beyond Nova I've noticed more activity and better D out of Polley. Oddly enough he's not really making 3s, but I see a bit more in some of the other areas. The areas he's normally useless at. He's still not a great glue guy. Just a bit better than he's been in years past.

All that said, I still prefer the Polley who gets hot and hits 3 or 4 threes on occasion. We haven't seen that guy in a while.

Reaction Score
At this point it's which backup PG will do the least damage in 2-3 mins of floor time per half while Cole catching his breath...guess DH still thinks Gaff will be less bad than Diggins right now.

Otherwise it's a 7 man rotation with Hawk & Polley for now. If we get 14 points out of them combined should be good, the nights we don't will be a struggle.

Last edited:

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I'm not super confident about this statement, but I feel like Polley has been playing ok lately. Everyone stunk against Nova so I'm not really counting that. Beyond Nova I've noticed more activity and better D out of Polley. Oddly enough he's not really making 3s, but I see a bit more in some of the other areas. The areas he's normally useless at. He's still not a great glue guy. Just a bit better than he's been in years past.

All that said, I still prefer the Polley who gets hot and hits 3 or 4 threes on occasion. We haven't seen that guy in a while.
I’d prefer Hawkins gets all of Polley’s minutes. Hawkins is a better shooter. Polley doesn’t rebound or play defensive much better than Hawkins anyway.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
AJ was the point for a couple of minutes which I think we can totally get away with as long as there are three shooters alongside him and a big.
If they pressure AJ it will quickly turn into a disaster if his supporting cast is Whaley, Sanogo, Polley, and Hawkins/Gaffney.

Reaction Score
Basically only went 7 deep. Gaffney stat line- 4 minutes: 0-1 3 rebounds 1 assist and 2 turnovers. Just can’t have 2 turnovers in 4 minutes on our only back up pg (Hurley will never play Digg this late in the year.)

Gaff must be one hell of a practice player.

Reaction Score
We need Gaffney to be better. I have tried not to get too down on the kid but he looked unplayable in the second half today.

Polley and Hawkins were great today. This is a tough stretch not to have Akok.

Reaction Score
UConn is about to play 5 games in 11 days, and including today, it will be 6 games in 14 days. Hurley needs to find a way to steal more minutes with the bench or some starters are going to wear out.
This is correct and what I have been saying since the Bahamas tournament in relation to Cole-he is going to get burned out. In fact I think it has happened to a certain extent in the Nova game and Creighton game.

Reaction Score
I hate to say it but after seeing Gaffney again tonight he's becoming a non-factor. Or a negative factor. He was really bad tonight and he looks like he's lost all confidence. I think the team needs him (unless Cole plays every minute) so I hope he can turn it around and give them something.

Reaction Score
I hate to say it but after seeing Gaffney again tonight he's becoming a non-factor. Or a negative factor. He was really bad tonight and he looks like he's lost all confidence. I think the team needs him (unless Cole plays every minute) so I hope he can turn it around and give them something.
There is no way anyone will convince me that diggins is worse than gaffney right now given the way gaffney is playing. He’s a nice kid, but he’s actually hurting the team. Hurley must give diggins gaffney minutes.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
if diggins should get gaff's PT then samson should get akok's too
Completely different. Akok brings a positive contribution to the team when he’s out on the floor. He has to get better on defense as he gets caught flatfooted often but he can recover for a blocked shot. He also can run the floor for dunks and can hit a three. Johnson should get playing time while akok is out if needed

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know it only happened because Whaley had 2 fouls and Hawkins/Polley were playing well on both ends of the floor, but our offense looked so much better in the 1st half playing with only 1 big on the floor. That's the type of thing that needs to keep happening regardless of foul trouble

Reaction Score
I know it only happened because Whaley had 2 fouls and Hawkins/Polley were playing well on both ends of the floor, but our offense looked so much better in the 1st half playing with only 1 big on the floor. That's the type of thing that needs to keep happening regardless of foul trouble
Jackson/Whaley/Sanogo can never be on the floor together at the same time. Sanogo will be down low which leaves Whaley outside, where he is useless. And Jackson is already a useless scorer. The spacing is so bad when those 3 are out there and we are just entirely ineffective. Polley or (ideally) Hawkins needs to be in for Whaley in those situations, and then just slide Martin to the 4 and play smaller

Reaction Score
Jackson/Whaley/Sanogo can never be on the floor together at the same time. Sanogo will be down low which leaves Whaley outside, where he is useless. And Jackson is already a useless scorer. The spacing is so bad when those 3 are out there and we are just entirely ineffective. Polley or (ideally) Hawkins needs to be in for Whaley in those situations, and then just slide Martin to the 4 and play smaller
Whaley also just looked so much more comfortable on the offensive end when Sanogo was getting a breather during stretches in the last 10 minutes. Two other things - one positive and one negative… Zay’s free throws were clutch and pure last night. Also, he (and the rest of the guys) continues to bite on almost every pump fake. Used to have so much more discipline defending the paint.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom