OT: Utah NIL collective gifts all 85 scholarship players Dodge Ram 1500 trucks | The Boneyard

OT: Utah NIL collective gifts all 85 scholarship players Dodge Ram 1500 trucks

Reaction Score
Fully loaded about $72,000. This is the NCAA's Brave New World. Good Luck UConn Husky Dogs.
6 month renewable leases! Their NIL hopes to have raised $6MM by the end of the year.

Reaction Score
Wish I was born a stud FB player in the age of NIL :oops:

Reaction Score
Wow! That’s pretty impressive! I’m curious to see the backside of this NIL world in about 10 years when 99% of these kids never made it to the NFL. What kinds of life skills did they learn while in college and how can they apply them to their new lives of mediocrity. Can’t help but feel like they’re pawns in a plan to make the rich and greedy even richer at the expense of their development as young men

Reaction Score
Exciting for the kids, but I don't see how one of those kids doesn't do something wretchedly stupid. I wonder what the insurance policy looks like on 85 leased trucks to college kids :D

and is this taxable income to the players?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Old man yelling at clouds warning......

These kids would be way better served with a $25k IRA or something.

They get nothing out of the truck other than a ride while in college and promoting a dealership.

I'd like to see the dealer resell the vehicles and as part of the sale promote which player's truck is being bought. Set a baseline price for a truck and if the value of the resale goes up due to who drove it, the player pockets that money.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
This is me assuming the worst, but the first time one of these gifted trucks is suspected of being used in a robbery or some other crime, I wonder if it stops further promotions. These are still kids that (can/may/will) do stupid things.

Reaction Score
A tad bit unrelated but I never get people's obsession with trucks. 90% of the people that have them do not need them, and the people that do would save a lot of money getting one of those smaller Japanese trucks.

Reaction Score
A tad bit unrelated but I never get people's obsession with trucks. 90% of the people that have them do not need them, and the people that do would save a lot of money getting one of those smaller Japanese trucks.
The pickup truck is just the modern day sports car. It fills the same niche. 10% of owners use it for what it's intended for or are an enthusiast and the other 90% buy it because they think it looks cool and fits the image they're going for.

Reaction Score

All I want is a small body-on-frame truck so I can mulch, bring my mower/blowers to my parents house, pull stumps, and do other basic yard work. Even Tacomas are too big for the job and that's about as small as you can get 'em. I miss the old Rangers/S10s... perfect size.

The average guy with an F-150 would be better off in a Camry, but he needs the ego boost due to a sad, lonely life and small... hands.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'd like to see the dealer resell the vehicles and as part of the sale promote which player's truck is being bought. Set a baseline price for a truck and if the value of the resale goes up due to who drove it, the player pockets that money.
"There's a premium on this one because the passenger cab seat isn't all sticky."

Anyway, I feel this is obligatory:

Reaction Score
All I want is a small body-on-frame truck so I can mulch, bring my mower/blowers to my parents house, pull stumps, and do other basic yard work. Even Tacomas are too big for the job and that's about as small as you can get 'em. The average guy with an F-150 would be better off in a Camry, but he needs the ego boost due to a sad, lonely life and small hands.
Get a maverick. BOF is overrated

Reaction Score
Get a maverick

Not super interested in getting a model that's only been around for a couple of years. It's also unibody and I prefer a BOF for a truck.

I'm going to end up settling for a Tacoma or one of the newer Frontiers, most likely.

Reaction Score
Not super interested in getting a model that's only been around for a couple of years. It's also unibody and I prefer a BOF for a truck.

I'm going to end up settling for a Tacoma or one of the newer Frontiers, most likely.
You don't need BOF anymore. It's not the 90s.

I do not recommend the frontier. It's the right size but everyone I know that has one regrets owning it.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine the mass confusion when 85 dudes all stroll out of the practice facility to drive back to their apartments? I have a hard enough time finding my car in The Walmart Parking lot. I couldn't imagine 84 additional cars of the same model parked right next to it.

Reaction Score
The bad news is that trucks of Japanese manufacture cost just as much as comparable US* brands. The good news is that the Japanese trucks are far more reliable. Rams spend a lot of time in the shop.

*Stellantis, the parent company which currently owns Chrysler, is actually a multinational company headquartered in Amsterdam.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You don't need BOF anymore. It's not the 90s.
You still don't see all that many unibodies around Pgh. Some of that might be because "USA USA", but I'm going with "potholes".

Reaction Score
This is awesome - good for the players at Utah. A little misleading headline as they are leases.

Wish UCONN could figure something like this out AND promote it like Utah is doing. We all know they won’t. Would take skillful leadership.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
All I want is a small body-on-frame truck so I can mulch, bring my mower/blowers to my parents house, pull stumps, and do other basic yard work. Even Tacomas are too big for the job and that's about as small as you can get 'em. I miss the old Rangers/S10s... perfect size.

The average guy with an F-150 would be better off in a Camry, but he needs the ego boost due to a sad, lonely life and small... hands.

Get a trailer and a hitch for a passenger car or small SUV. Trailer sits in the yard during the week and you hitch it up for weekend honey-do's.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Jeep Gladiator??

Of course, then you have the whole I own a Jeep lifestyle you have to do.

Reaction Score
Jeep Gladiator??

I've driven a Wrangler my whole adult life and refuse to purchase a Gladiator or 4-door Jeep on principal.

Ask me about my gas expenses commuting 45 minutes each way. 16mpg ain't fun lol.

Reaction Score
This is awesome - good for the players at Utah. A little misleading headline as they are leases.

Wish UCONN could figure something like this out AND promote it like Utah is doing. We all know they won’t. Would take skillful leadership.
There is absolutely nothing stopping you from providing your skillful leadership in a project like this. Start your own collective and lead the charge.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Jeep Gladiator??

I've driven a Wrangler my whole adult life and refuse to purchase a Gladiator or 4-door Jeep on principal.

Ask me about my gas expenses commuting 45 minutes each way. 16mpg ain't fun lol.

Thanks for proving my point about Jeep owners and lifestyle. :)

Can't you get a trailer for a Wrangler?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom