OT: USAMO is number one!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: USAMO is number one!!!

Reaction Score
Our kids lag in math compared to many countries. That competition is for kids who are top notch.

U.S. academic achievement lags that of many other countries
China and Europen countries cull lower grade and isolate those with the temperament and desire to excel in math and science. If the USA tried that the cry of discrimination would be heard at both poles. We are country driven by words (not actions) of equality, fairness, discrimination so that inhibits the USA from competing equally with the world.

The numbers may be correct. But numbers don't address social issues, financial issues, even desire issues. Numbers do not lie but rarely do they tell the whole story.
If the media will not work to attract people into scientific/math fields it shall remain as it is. You may say that's a Government job: yes and no. The media has much more influence on inner city kids than the government shall ever have.
Also, remember many of the great and often used scientific discoveries were made in the USA. So while the world may be passing the USA in Academics the baton in many scientific areas belong with the USA. If it hasn't changed--the vast number of true scientist that ever lived are alive today.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
China and Europen countries cull lower grade and isolate those with the temperament and desire to excel in math and science. If the USA tried that the cry of discrimination would be heard at both poles. We are country driven by words (not actions) of equality, fairness, discrimination so that inhibits the USA from competing equally with the world.

The numbers may be correct. But numbers don't address social issues, financial issues, even desire issues. Numbers do not lie but rarely do they tell the whole story.
If the media will not work to attract people into scientific/math fields it shall remain as it is. You may say that's a Government job: yes and no. The media has much more influence on inner city kids than the government shall ever have.
Also, remember many of the great and often used scientific discoveries were made in the USA. So while the world may be passing the USA in Academics the baton in many scientific areas belong with the USA. If it hasn't changed--the vast number of true scientist that ever lived are alive today.

I don’t think that’s the point. With such a big population, we are bound to have a great many very talented people. The education numbers really speak to the overall success for the average citizen. Where the US always stood out was in encouraging critical thinking: outside the box versus the kind of rote learning used in many countries especially Asia. I’ll bet you didn’t get in the way of your kids as they figured out the world, guiding them when needed but encouraging independent thought.

As far as what you liked reading as a kid, almost anything appropriate that might get a kid to read is fine. History, sports, fishing, science, fantasy, the back of cereal boxes but not Fruit Loops. ;)

Reaction Score
I don’t think that’s the point. With such a big population, we are bound to have a great many very talented people. The education numbers really speak to the overall success for the average citizen. Where the US always stood out was in encouraging critical thinking: outside the box versus the kind of rote learning used in many countries especially Asia. I’ll bet you didn’t get in the way of your kids as they figured out the world, guiding them when needed but encouraging independent thought.

As far as what you liked reading as a kid, almost anything appropriate that might get a kid to read is fine. History, sports, fishing, science, fantasy, the back of cereal boxes but not Fruit Loops. ;)
The USA isn't the bastion of Free Thinking. I have known and had Chinese students that had no problem thinking"outside the box". One at Uconn wanted to drive a car. So he purchased a car in Manchester and got it to his dorm. He spent 3 days learning to drive in the parking lot--read the manual and drove to Manchester; took the test and drove home. He found a need, took the necessary steps to get it done, then acted on it. Not necessarily rigid thinking. He was a computer science major, couldn't, initially, understand spoken American English and rarely understood a word spoken. He read the texts because he learned to read English and whizzed through all of his courses.
The last I heard, his wife whom he met at Uconn, was teaching in Boston; he was a professor in the SUNY system.
Another purchased a DeWalt miter saw, she never saw one let along used one. She proceeded to cut and lay, from pieces, a parquet floor through 3 rooms of her home. Innovative, without fear of failure, her native intelligence served her well.
Both were academically superior. It makes a teacher look good with students like these.
(an aside, tidbit)
The male student above met my (then) 9 year old daughter and said: She's shameful. With a straight face, the wife and I accepted the comment knowing he was still learning to speak American; he meant she was bashful. To this day, now an attorney, we occasionally call her shameful and she remembers the event and gets a giggle match going.
The Australian or Canadian systems do little to inhibit Free Thinking. There could be more.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
... allowing me to teach in a personal way to each student.
my belief that at an early age students must see the practical and fun use of math, then build on a foundation of no fear of math.
BINGO!!!! We have a winner! However, it is my friend who was the wunderbar 7th & 8th grade math teacher. Our education system needs fewer Mr. Cantwell's and more BroadwayVas and TWs (my friend). I sporaticaly taught peers and customers in industry and a few years at the college level as an adjunct. Not the same as having a real impact with youth. But the few times I connected it was more rewarding than successfully completing a large project or sale. Just the look in their eyes was great. I have envied teachers such as yourself. But when I talked to them ... yikes! ... the politics and interaction with the administration seemed far worse than I ever experienced in industry. I hired an employee who had BA, MSs, and two PhDs who left industry to teach full time at a very respected university. I asked why are you returning to industry. I heard you disliked corporate politics. She simply responded "It is much worse in academia." Their loss our gain. Get a group of people together and before long you will have them in competition and disagreement and lumping together into factions ... you know like the Boneyard. Just kidding!!!
Applied math: We wanted to update all of our bathrooms. We were referenced to the "best tiler in the city." Always too careful, we just had him tile the floor in a small first floor bathroom. As he began his work; I looked over the guy's shoulder to see he had sketched the entire floor on tablet with the measurements applied. He was calculating all of the angles and arcs required before touching a tile. I knew we had a winner. We had him updated all the other baths. Other tradesmen would just run their hands over his work peering at his very fine grout work. I would ask them Tradesman or craftsman? They all said "CRAFTSMAN" usually followed by artist. Someone taught our tiler the importance of math particularly in his craft. Math can be art. Thanks to teaches such as yourself.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Re: learning the fun of math at a young age.

When my daughter was a newborn, my wife joined a new mothers group, which morphed into a play group. When the kids were maybe 3 or 4, the mothers were sitting around watching the kids play and remarking about the natural curiosity in all the kids. My wife asked, "I wonder what the schools do to beat this out of the kids.

Fast forward a year or two. Daughter LOVED kindergarten. Early in first grade, her teacher told us that she was gifted in math and as soon as they had a gifted program, she'd be enrolled in it. Well, the gifted program never happened. And it got worse. They were given homework in first grade. One day she was given over 150 three-digit addition and subtraction problems to do in two nights. That didn't single-handedly beat her curiosity out of her, but it was symbolic of how the school tried to ruin her.

That was one of several reasons we pulled her from what's viewed as one of the best public-school systems in the country. My wife (and I just a little bit) homeschooled her, and it was a great decision. She still hates math, but she's an unbelievable writer.

Reaction Score
Re: learning the fun of math at a young age.

When my daughter was a newborn, my wife joined a new mothers group, which morphed into a play group. When the kids were maybe 3 or 4, the mothers were sitting around watching the kids play and remarking about the natural curiosity in all the kids. My wife asked, "I wonder what the schools do to beat this out of the kids.

Fast forward a year or two. Daughter LOVED kindergarten. Early in first grade, her teacher told us that she was gifted in math and as soon as they had a gifted program, she'd be enrolled in it. Well, the gifted program never happened. And it got worse. They were given homework in first grade. One day she was given over 150 three-digit addition and subtraction problems to do in two nights. That didn't single-handedly beat her curiosity out of her, but it was symbolic of how the school tried to ruin her.

That was one of several reasons we pulled her from what's viewed as one of the best public-school systems in the country. My wife (and I just a little bit) homeschooled her, and it was a great decision. She still hates math, but she's an unbelievable writer.
My wife, for some years, was a stay at home mom to teach her kid number, counting, some simple math, letters, spelling. None attended the Kindergarten. ALL (count em-9)
with one and a half exceptions were A students up to and including college--the huge start she gave them, the fun she made learning worked wonders. I therefore believe, if you have the knowledge and ability (everyone can't teach) Home Schooling is MY way.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
BINGO!!!! We have a winner! However, it is my friend who was the wunderbar 7th & 8th grade math teacher. Our education system needs fewer Mr. Cantwell's and more BroadwayVas and TWs (my friend). I sporaticaly taught peers and customers in industry and a few years at the college level as an adjunct. Not the same as having a real impact with youth. But the few times I connected it was more rewarding than successfully completing a large project or sale. Just the look in their eyes was great. I have envied teachers such as yourself. But when I talked to them ... yikes! ... the politics and interaction with the administration seemed far worse than I ever experienced in industry. I hired an employee who had BA, MSs, and two PhDs who left industry to teach full time at a very respected university. I asked why are you returning to industry. I heard you disliked corporate politics. She simply responded "It is much worse in academia." Their loss our gain. Get a group of people together and before long you will have them in competition and disagreement and lumping together into factions ... you know like the Boneyard. Just kidding!!!
Applied math: We wanted to update all of our bathrooms. We were referenced to the "best tiler in the city." Always too careful, we just had him tile the floor in a small first floor bathroom. As he began his work; I looked over the guy's shoulder to see he had sketched the entire floor on tablet with the measurements applied. He was calculating all of the angles and arcs required before touching a tile. I knew we had a winner. We had him updated all the other baths. Other tradesmen would just run their hands over his work peering at his very fine grout work. I would ask them Tradesman or craftsman? They all said "CRAFTSMAN" usually followed by artist. Someone taught our tiler the importance of math particularly in his craft. Math can be art. Thanks to teaches such as yourself.
My Grandfather never went to school, owned 5 or more businesses had 35 people working for him. He knew math, but he didn't know academic math. He could look at a forest and estimate the boards/logs to be extracted. He signed his checks with XX's but they cashed them just the same (old song) My Dad at age 10 wasn't allowed to continue school, was working full time as a livery driver and stable hand, then construction worker at 14. He corrected, correctly, my math problems in high school. Where did that come from?
(note: one of the businesses owned was a Speak Easy(prohibition) on main st Watertown, ct. MAIN ST).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I taught a number of seminars for Doctors and Nurses. One is memorable: Baltimore Maryland. They were getting a brand new Radio Telemetry system that connected multiple counties hospitals to each other and to the Paramedics.
I started speaking, before an estimated 500, and without warning, it became a political, medical political-the worst kind, football. The riot police nearly was called.
The politicians: medical Administrators, CEO's including City and County officials took the stage as I exited. I departed, I saw no point of watching the lynchings.
Tradesmen are working for the money. Craftsmen are working towards perfection AND the money.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom