OT: Test 581B...Animal stuff | The Boneyard

OT: Test 581B...Animal stuff

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14..North Carolina has the (?) squirrel, which is 2x the size of an ordinary squirrel.

15..Which non primate has fingerprints virtually identical to humans?

16..What bird, flying from pole to pole, makes the longest migration?

17..The only beast where the male bears the young?

18..Cheetahs, then pronghorns, then __________.

19..The only native mammal of Iceland?

20..This bird has 338 species, all only in western hemisphere?

21..It(?) is also called the American polecat and the prairie dog hunter.

22..The 3 most common lion prey?

23..The last species of the apes to be discovered?

24..Only one mammal can change its eye color. Which?

25..Only one of the larger cats has no verified attacks on humans. Which?

You won't believe how much fun you'll have with this.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
14..Fox squirrel

17..Seahorse

19..Arctic fox

21..Ferret

22..wildebeast, zebra, antelope

23..Orangutans

25..Snow Leopard

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
22..The 3 most common lion prey?

"Dear Lord, please let me catch this wildebeest?"

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
16..The Arctic tern
17..Seahorse
18..platypuses?
20..I dunno if there are 338 species, but I'm pretty sure grackles are only in the Americas.
21..Black-footed ferret
22..wlidebeest, warthog, ??
23. It depends on what you mean by discovered. The bonobo was only recognized in the last few decades as a separate species from the chimp. The orang utan is the most recently seen by humans, I think.
25..cheetah

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
15. Koalas

16. Arctic Tern

18. Springbok

17. Seahorse

19. Arctic Fox

20. Hummingbird

21. Weasel

22. Gnu (AKA Wildebeest), Water Buffalo, and Zebra

25. Never read about a cheetah killing a human. How about the snow leopard? Usually they live in very remote areas with few humans.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Bear of a quiz - and the other half also. This time, I am completely up a tree. Although seeing the Seahorse listed by several for #17 makes me think I sort of remember that.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Bear of a quiz - and the other half also. This time, I am completely up a tree. Although seeing the Seahorse listed by several for #17 makes me think I sort of remember that.

Nonetheless, you still reside in my heart.:)

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
15. Koalas

16. Arctic Tern

18. Springbok

17. Seahorse

19. Arctic Fox

20. Hummingbird

21. Weasel

22. Gnu (AKA Wildebeest), Water Buffalo, and Zebra

25. Never read about a cheetah killing a human. How about the snow leopard? Usually they live in very remote areas with few humans.

25..I did not type "killing". Those blasted Russian hackers have tampered with your message.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
16..The Arctic tern
17..Seahorse
18..platypuses?
20..I dunno if there are 338 species, but I'm pretty sure grackles are only in the Americas.
21..Black-footed ferret
22..wlidebeest, warthog, ??
23. It depends on what you mean by discovered. The bonobo was only recognized in the last few decades as a separate species from the chimp. The orang utan is the most recently seen by humans, I think.
25..cheetah

22..Now the Hasidic lions consider the warthog an unclean animal, so that negatively affects its numbers insofar as prey is concerned. Go with Rocket.

18..And you really hear a different drummer here. We're talking speed. What do you figure a platypus in the 40 meters? Go with SVC.
P.S. What Chuck Berry song does the pronghorn sing to area predators.

24..Hint: At this time of year the nose is more well known.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
22..Now the Hasidic lions consider the warthog an unclean animal, so that negatively affects its numbers insofar as prey is concerned. Go with Rocket.

18..And you really hear a different drummer here. We're talking speed. What do you figure a platypus in the 40 meters? Go with SVC.
P.S. What Chuck Berry song does the pronghorn sing to area predators.

24..Hint: At this time of year the nose is more well known.

I had warthog on the brain since I saw Elsa stalking one in Born Free. ;)

The pronghorn and cheetah are also the only living members of their genera, so I guessed the platypus, which is the only living member of its genus. The three are likely not unique in this, though.

Elephant?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I had warthog on the brain since I saw Elsa stalking one in Born Free. ;)

The pronghorn and cheetah are also the only living members of their genera, so I guessed the platypus, which is the only living member of its genus. The three are likely not unique in this, though.

Elephant?

If "elephant" is meant as answer #24, you're barking up the wrong trunk. I mean it can't lead anybody's sleigh last night, can it?

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
24..I don't know if this counts, but I just ran into an article about reindeer. In the Winter, their eyes change to adapt to the lack of light and the color changes. Then changes back in the Summer - pretty cool!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14..Yes, life's exciting when the males think she is foxy.

15..Koala is the answer. How can you people even know this?

16..The exhausting trip started in history when one bird made a tern for the worss, and everybody followed. because one good tern follows another. You know how birds are.

17..The seahorse was the first male feminist.

18..The cheetah loves that the springbok gives him a run for his money.

19..Additional foxiness.

20..I looked it up. There are 3 types of grackles, and you certainly wouldn't want more, at least if you are a small bird. For they are bullies, those grackles. Since hummingbirds don't offend others, nature is kind to give us 300 plus species.

21..I treasure Big's specificity. Not just the generic "weasels, he writes. And not just any old ferret, he continues. Noticing the peds is crucial here.

22..Water buffalo? Not that common in Africa and not in appreciable numbers to rival the big 3.
Has SVC confused it with the cape buffalo, which is prey yes, but a lot more dangerous to the lion than are gnus, zebras and antelope. Of course if SVC decided to focus on the Gir forest, he might have a case, but we don't, in this case, permit such specificity.

23..Big gives us food for thought, allowing you to pick either.

24..Rocket has an addendum to his larger, earlier list, which, as he remarks, is cool.

25..The cheetah, normally intimidated by humans, but has many more human interactions compared to other cats, can certainly swipe at an annoying one, if feeling trapped. Go with the snow leopard.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
15..Koala is the answer. How can you people even know this?

We used to be Friends of the St. Louis Zoo. The Zoo had an adoption program. Basically a donation helped pay for the maintenance of a given animal. Among the animals we adopted was a koala. One summer they had a special Australia evening event where we learned interesting and weird facts about their indigenous species. Fingerprints stuck in my head. Back then St. Louis was a great family oriented city. The local businesses (Anheuser Busch, Monsanto, McDonnell Douglas, Ralston Purina, etc.) provided scores of millions of dollars. As a result anyone with bus fare could visit the Zoo, the summer Muny Opera, the art Museum, Forest park, Grant's Farm, etc. Attendance to all was free of charge. Many people in the greater Midwest vacation in Saint Louis primarily to take in a Cardinals baseball game but then stayed for these relatively inexpensive attractions. Food and Beverage is not free. Although in addition to no admission fee the beer was free at Grant's Farm, home of a farm animal petting "zoo" and the Anheuser Busch Clydesdales. Kids and Dads loved this place. :D Before anyone gets up in arms each Dad was limited to two beers.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
We used to be Friends of the St. Louis Zoo. The Zoo had an adoption program. Basically a donation helped pay for the maintenance of a given animal. Among the animals we adopted was a koala. One summer they had a special Australia evening event where we learned interesting and weird facts about their indigenous species. Fingerprints stuck in my head. Back then St. Louis was a great family oriented city. The local businesses (Anheuser Busch, Monsanto, McDonnell Douglas, Ralston Purina, etc.) provided scores of millions of dollars. As a result anyone with bus fare could visit the Zoo, the summer Muny Opera, the art Museum, Forest park, Grant's Farm, etc. Attendance to all was free of charge. Many people in the greater Midwest vacation in Saint Louis primarily to take in a Cardinals baseball game but then stayed for these relatively inexpensive attractions. Food and Beverage is not free. Although in addition to no admission fee the beer was free at Grant's Farm, home of a farm animal petting "zoo" and the Anheuser Busch Clydesdales. Kids and Dads loved this place. :D Before anyone gets up in arms each Dad was limited to two beers.
Last year we visited St. Louis. While my wife wasn't and isn't well, we were able to visit the zoo (well, some of it, anyway) and the Arch / Riverboat. Our purpose in visiting was the Missouri Botanical Garden where her friend / instructor, Craig Mitchell Smith, had a glass exhibit. Beautiful.

Hope to return to the city for another visit when her health is improved.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Last year we visited St. Louis. While my wife wasn't and isn't well, we were able to visit the zoo (well, some of it, anyway) and the Arch / Riverboat. Our purpose in visiting was the Missouri Botanical Garden where her friend / instructor, Craig Mitchell Smith, had a glass exhibit. Beautiful. Hope to return to the city for another visit when her health is improved.

Agh! I forgot about the Missouri Botanical Garden (originally Shaw's Garden before Henry Shaw donated it). My Master Gardener membership will now be revoked. Actually I am more the gardening researchist. Mrs. SVC is the true gardener. I have no idea how many times we visited MoBoGdn. I am happy to hear it is still an amazing facility. We will keep you wife in our thoughts and prayers.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I went to the StL zoo many years ago, and it’s world-class. My wife and I have been members of the National zoo and have taken clases there. I have loved zoos since first going to Mohegan Park when I was a babe. Thank gods zoos have evolved since then.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I went to the StL zoo many years ago, and it’s world-class. My wife and I have been members of the National zoo and have taken clases there. I have loved zoos since first going to Mohegan Park when I was a babe. Thank gods zoos have evolved since then.

We visited the San Diego Zoo approximately 34 years ago. The young lady at the ticket counter welcomed us to the #1 zoo in the USA. I countered with it is 2nd best to the St. Louis Zoo. She pleasantly corrected me. I asked how much I just paid for two adult tickets. She responded $30. When I told her STL Zoo was free and thus was the best Zoo. Her jaw just dropped. Today at the San Diego Zoo an adult one day pass costs $56 and a child (3-11) $46. The STL Zoo's admission is still free but there are now specific shows which do have a fee ranging from $2 to $5.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom