OT: Summer travels in South Caroline | The Boneyard

OT: Summer travels in South Caroline

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So my wife and I are in the midst of an NC/SC trip (wearing all our UConn gear of course!) and upon entering Charleston, I saw a huge “Cheerwine” sign which immediately made me stop at Publix and buy a 4 pack, which my wife said “why on wart are you buying 4 of these if you don’t know what it taste like?” My retort (and yes, she reads the BY) was “our fine @triaddukefan colleague” likes and recommends this”, to which she said, “why are you only getting the 4 pack vs. the 12 pack?” Such is the reverence for our fine Blue Devil fan! Side note, the 4 pack was bottles vs. cans and to me I Much prefer a bottle.

1689530445349.jpeg

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Nan did make Me chuckle but it wasn’t “that sweet” and yes I did enjoy it and will look for more here in Myrtle Beach to bring some back to CT. FYI we are going to the MB Pelicans game tonight so that should be fun… the big question is which hat to where with my UConn Husky logo shirt-the grey UConn hat or my Tan NY Yankee hat? Both will generate dialogue though the later more animated than the former…:rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Cheerwine is the sweet nectar from above that was bestowed upon us mere mortals from the Soda Gods on High.

It tastes likes Dr Pepper that someone shoveled a half a pound of sugar into

giphy.gif

1. That comment was so outrageous, it deserves two gifs.

2. I'm rescinding my invitation to @HuskyNan to the 2024 Cheerwine festival in downtown Salisbury.... attended by over 100,000 this past May.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Nan did make Me chuckle but it wasn’t “that sweet” and yes I did enjoy it and will look for more here in Myrtle Beach to bring some back to CT. FYI we are going to the MB Pelicans game tonight so that should be fun… the big question is which hat to where with my UConn Husky logo shirt-the grey UConn hat or my Tan NY Yankee hat? Both will generate dialogue though the later more animated than the former…:rolleyes:

Tell you what you should do. Stop in a gas station, buy a big cup of ice, a can of sundrop, and a can of cheerwine. Empty both 12 ounce cans into the cup and drink away. I wouldn't try it after say 4pm.... cause both drinks have a lot of caffeine.

Reaction Score
Enjoy your trip and your beverage. It sounds comparable to "Moxie". For those unfamiliar, Moxie is a very polarizing drink that people either love or hate that is usually only found sporadically throughout New England.
When I was 8 or so and tried it for the first time I practically spit it out. It tasted like...I don't know...liquid tobacco? But in the summer when it's hot and you're willing to drink just about anything and that's all there is you drink what's available (it's the only soda my New Hampshire grandmother would ever buy).
Over time between changing taste buds and acquiring a taste for it (it took a while) I began to like it and now actually get excited when I find it somewhere because it's not sold where I live and there is a lot of nostalgia attached to it.
Anyway, your story makes me think of Moxie and am curious as to how the two beverages compare. It sounds like they might be similar.

Reaction Score
Moxie was absolutely VILE.
Enjoy your trip and your beverage. It sounds comparable to "Moxie". For those unfamiliar, Moxie is a very polarizing drink that people either love or hate that is usually only found sporadically throughout New England.
When I was 8 or so and tried it for the first time I practically spit it out. It tasted like...I don't know...liquid tobacco? But in the summer when it's hot and you're willing to drink just about anything and that's all there is you drink what's available (it's the only soda my New Hampshire grandmother would ever buy).
Over time between changing taste buds and acquiring a taste for it (it took a while) I began to like it and now actually get excited when I find it somewhere because it's not sold where I live and there is a lot of nostalgia attached to it.
Anyway, your story makes me think of Moxie and am curious as to how the two beverages compare. It sounds like they might be similar.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Birch beer is another one that’s love-it-or-hate-it. Sasparilla, too

I gave up soda of all kinds 20 years ago. It’s just empty calories and sugar, the great Satan of bad foods, or artificial sweeteners, which may be worse. Not worth it

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Moxie is the absolute worst soda I ever tasted. Birch beer is a good change of pace from root beer. I like birch beer every once in a while.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Birch beer is another one that’s love-it-or-hate-it

I gave up soda of all kinds 20 years ago. It’s just empty calories and sugar, the great Satan of bad foods, or artificial sweeteners, which may be worse. Not worth it
For us that are diabetic, sodas with artificial sweeteners made life a bit/lot easier.
First they were sweetened with saccharine, which was (wrongfully) classified as causing bladder cancer and thus had a warning label.
And now suddenly the replacement for saccharine, aspartame, is classified as a potential cancer causing agent by WHO...after being on the market for 40 years. And according to their "research", one would have to drink at least 12 cans of diet soda per day.
So while it may just be be empty calories (actually 0 calories for mine), I will continue to enjoy my Pepsi Zero Sugar Wild Cherry drinks instead of the alternative empty calorie and sugar coffees, lattes, espressos, etc.
Oh, and living in NC, I do enjoy the occasional Cheerwine Zero Sugar (sweetened with Sucralose). I find it to be very tasty.

Reaction Score
oh I get it now ...Ct = Neil Diamond = Caroline-= South Caroline

Reaction Score
Carolinian here. My only use for Cheerwine is an ice cream float. Otherwise, too sweet.

I grew up in a weird spot that is roughly the halfway point between Atlanta and Charlotte. A frequent battleground of the Coca Cola vs. Pepsi wars.

Reaction Score
My dad loved moxie…and my niece still drinks it! Blech!

Reaction Score
Is your grand mother Italian? My Italian grandmother (she came over in 1912 as a young teen and lived in East Boston) always had a wooden case of Moxie in her house. As a kid I hated it .

I think I might have figured out the taste bud thing. About 10 years ago in Atlanta, we visited the Coke Museum (Next door to the Georgia Aquarium.). At the end of the tour you can sample Coke from every country. I always thought the Coke recipe/formula was the same world wide. Wrong. Many countries have very different coloring and taste. Some were reddish, some fizzed like crazy and many tasted different. When I tasted the Italian Coke I thought I was drinking Moxie. Very bitter taste. Do Italians' taste buds favor bitterness? Quite possibly.

Of course, one of my son's (the sample cups were a bit smaller than dixie cups) tried every single country. There were at least 50-60 different countries, maybe more. I liked the sample tasting at Anheuser Busch in St Louis better. For the record I drink diet Dr Pepper. Never had a cup of coffee in my life.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Carolinian here. My only use for Cheerwine is an ice cream float. Otherwise, too sweet.

I grew up in a weird spot that is roughly the halfway point between Atlanta and Charlotte. A frequent battleground of the Coca Cola vs. Pepsi wars.

You are from South Carolina.....i dont think yalls taste buds are advanced enough to appreciate the NC drink of choice. Another example of yalls underdeveloped taste buds... Yall eat that trash mustard bbq :eek:.

Reaction Score
Is your grand mother Italian? My Italian grandmother (she came over in 1912 as a young teen and lived in East Boston) always had a wooden case of Moxie in her house. As a kid I hated it .

I think I might have figured out the taste bud thing. About 10 years ago in Atlanta, we visited the Coke Museum (Next door to the Georgia Aquarium.). At the end of the tour you can sample Coke from every country. I always thought the Coke recipe/formula was the same world wide. Wrong. Many countries have very different coloring and taste. Some were reddish, some fizzed like crazy and many tasted different. When I tasted the Italian Coke I thought I was drinking Moxie. Very bitter taste. Do Italians' taste buds favor bitterness? Quite possibly.

Of course, one of my son's (the sample cups were a bit smaller than dixie cups) tried every single country. There were at least 50-60 different countries, maybe more. I liked the sample tasting at Anheuser Busch in St Louis better. For the record I drink diet Dr Pepper. Never had a cup of coffee in my life.
Great story.

Yes, my grandmother was Italian so you could be on to something that Italians have it in their blood to favor the bitter Moxie taste.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Great story.

Yes, my grandmother was Italian so you could be on to something that Italians have it in their blood to favor the bitter Moxie taste.

I was reading the wikipedia description of Moxie, and it sounds nothing like Cheerwine..

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
You are from South Carolina.....i dont think yalls taste buds are advanced enough to appreciate the NC drink of choice. Another example of yalls underdeveloped taste buds... Yall eat that trash mustard bbq :eek:.
Well, I have to say to that my wife was always favorable of you and your post so backstory, we stopped for BBQ right before we headed into Charleston and my wife kept going, I think I taste mustard in this sauce, I downplayed it but she made the waitress ask the chef and sure enough there was mustard in it and so when I read her this post above, she immediate said, “I love Triad”…and now we need to have “little discussion” as you have just overstepped!
Classic Tv Nostalgia GIF by Sony Pictures Television

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well, I have to say to that my wife was always favorable of you and your post so backstory, we stopped for BBQ right before we headed into Charleston and my wife kept going, I think I taste mustard in this sauce, I downplayed it but she made the waitress ask the chef and sure enough there was mustard in it and so when I read her this post above, she immediate said, “I love Triad”…and now we need to have “little discussion” as you have just overstepped!
Classic Tv Nostalgia GIF by Sony Pictures Television

1. Oh boy :oops:

2. What was the name of the bbq restaurant? Did they have Cheerwiine on the menu?

Reaction Score
I am a true blue drinker of "Dad's Root Beer" when I was young back in the 40'sand 50's. It had the rich flavor of root beer with a nose tickling sensation of the aeration( causing bubbles). On a hot day you could not beat the taste and the way it lingered after you finished drinking it. that was then, this is now, The last 45 years I only drink Folgers instant coffee , black with Sweet and Low. I have a 20 ounce insulated cup and sleep only 6 hours a night and drink 3 cups a day. I do not hyper-vent from caffeine and often fall asleep while drinking it. I miss the Root Beer from time to time.Nostalgia!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom