OT: Stock trading | Page 178 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Die shorties die - very interesting summary of all the hedge fund managers that have shorted Tesla over the past few years and how they are doing today. Hint: not good.

I casually know a guy at a fund that was shorting Tesla for years. It was highly valued, unprofitable and reliant on federal tax incentives that were expiring on its cars and not on those from Toyota, Hyundai, BMW, Ford etc. It was a rational position. But then, putting big money on an online book store didn't seem like a great bet. Or a company shipping DVDs in mailers. Or a PC company that was finding its core products couldn't compete with Windows PCs. All three were big winners as physical went digital...shopping, ebooks, movies, music (the iPod saved Apple).

With Tesla, you're investing in vision. You're expecting that Elon sees something and can execute to it. It helps that the cars now make money and demand is high.

Reaction Score
Rivian nice momentum, but with options opening, the flush may be imminent.

I still believe that a correction will happen, no way to time it, but I think Riv has some legs. I think if/when there is profit taking, I might just leave it alone. Getting greedy might keep you on the sideline if it bounces back faster than you can jump back in

Reaction Score
I still believe that a correction will happen, no way to time it, but I think Riv has some legs. I think if/when there is profit taking, I might just leave it alone. Getting greedy might keep you on the sideline if it bounces back faster than you can jump back in
Expect some reasonable RIV correction from level now exceeding VW's cap. Picked target limit buys. Likely switch to calls as available. If opportunity's missed, still indirectly hold some RIV via ETFs and AMZN and F. On VW pull backs, been adding to perceived reasonably-valued VWAPY (VW).

Related, hold TSLA bought just after SARS-2 crash. Before this month's all-time highs, had only sold a bit to guarantee breakeven. Now researching hydrogen power and EV battery (HW and SW) possibilities for anticipated correction opportunities. Ideas anyone?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Expect some reasonable RIV correction from level now exceeding VW's cap. Picked target limit buys. Likely switch to calls as available. If opportunity's missed, still indirectly hold some RIV via ETFs and AMZN and F. On VW pull backs, been adding to perceived reasonably-valued VWAPY (VW).

Related, hold TSLA bought just after SARS-2 crash. Before this month's all-time highs, had only sold a bit to guarantee breakeven. Now researching hydrogen power and EV battery (HW and SW) possibilities for anticipated correction opportunities. Ideas anyone?

Honda has been trying to make Hydrogen a thing for a long time. It's part of why they were so late to hybrids. I just don't know if anybody is going to crack it, and if they do, who builds out the refueling infrastructure? I'm still waiting for gas stations to add EV charging but they haven't.

I'm avoiding the whole car space for now, except exposure via ARK funds. Volatile.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
My recent adds last week on dips. Decided I was holding too much cash in this environment.

FB - up nicely, over 5%
DIS - Down but it will come back
SQ - have been trying to get in for some time, dip was an opening. Up.
VSQTF - Long term higher risk bet in my Roth. Up.
GOOG - replacing Lockheed in IRA
COIN - up 2%
OFSTD - long term risky flyer. Carbon offsets are going to be huge. Level.
How many stocks should you have in an Roth IRA, and normally which should you have in your IRA Portfolio and how often should you add to it? I’m trying to figure out the purpose of having a IRA when most of us already have 401ks or regular stock trading platforms?

Reaction Score
How many stocks should you have in an Roth IRA, and normally which should you have in your IRA Portfolio and how often should you add to it? I’m trying to figure out the purpose of having a IRA when most of us already have 401ks or regular stock trading platforms?

It’s always good to have an IRA in addition to a 401k, 403b, etc. It’s another tax advantaged retirement account that usually has more flexibility and investment options than a typical work provided 401k. You can read more here…

Personally I fund my IRA monthly up to $6k annual limit. Allocations are up to the investor and their personal risk tolerance but you can hold index funds, etfs, reits, individual stocks and more in there. I am much more aggressive in my Roth IRA than my 401k (strictly index and mutual funds) with some trading and significant crypto exposure percentage wise via GBTC and ETHE.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I loosely agree with what Genevieve Roch-Decter says, which is allocate about 80% of equity assets to large caps in core industries. S&P 500 indexes and other ETFs plus individual stocks, like Exxon, Pepsi, Disney, Lowes/HD. Allocate 20% to higher risk, higher reward flyers. Grit Capital – With Genevieve Roch-Decter

For me, that 20%, or as much of it as I can get, goes in my Roth. If you're going to have something take off and go up 2000%, you don't want to pay taxes on those gains. Ever. Several years ago I bought a bunch of Amazon in my Roth, still have some but I took some profits. I bought Apple there too, currently up 429%. I can no longer put any money in my Roth, but if you can, max it.

With a Traditional IRA or 401k, taxes on gains are deferred until withdrawal. This is nice, because you hopefully pay those taxes later when you aren't working. With a Roth it is tax free. So I'd never, ever put a bond fund or some low growth, low risk asset in a Roth.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
It’s always good to have an IRA in addition to a 401k, 403b, etc. It’s another tax advantaged retirement account that usually has more flexibility and investment options than a typical work provided 401k. You can read more here…

Personally I fund my IRA monthly up to $6k annual limit. Allocations are up to the investor and their personal risk tolerance but you can hold index funds, etfs, reits, individual stocks and more in there. I am much more aggressive in my Roth IRA than my 401k (strictly index and mutual funds) with some trading and significant crypto exposure percentage wise via GBTC and ETHE.

The arbitrary 6k is ridiculous and should be getting annual raises. We should be way above that at this point

Reaction Score
LOL SEV IPO, opened at $20, up to $45 after hours, the EV plays making people rich.

Reaction Score
Any thoughts on CRO crypto.com?

I'm a believer as it's one of the few coins that is actually being used in our economy with their visa crypto card.

I'm curious to hear what others think. I buy the technology and chain.

They just purchased the naming rights to the Staples center.

I'vr been accumulating that Dot and Celo. I really think tbat Celo is going to be a long term technology. Your cell phone number is your key.

the Q

Reaction Score

I'm a believer as it's one of the few coins that is actually being used in our economy with their visa crypto card.

I'vr been accumulating that Dot and Celo. I really think tbat Celo is going to be a long term technology. Your cell phone number is your key.

I’ve gotten into dot the past 2 days

the Q

Reaction Score
I’ve buying dot and link to supplement my Bitcoin and eth

the Q

Reaction Score
My main four - and largest bags. Also dabble with Matic, MANA, ONE, SNX, & VET

If I had a 5th it would be Nano.

But god damn it’s on none of my exchanges lol

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I was at the movies on Wednesday and there was an add for Crypto.com before the movie, featuring Matt Damon. They are at least trying to make themselves a thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom