OT: Sticker Shock Cable/Phone/Internet | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Sticker Shock Cable/Phone/Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When cable first came to my area, I remember my parents arguing that $14/month was too much to pay. With inflation, $14 in the late 70's is probably ~$50 in today's dollars, maybe a bit more. My current cable bill is a hell of a lot more than that.
Do you not think technology has changed in 50 years? Went from 14 stations to 500?

So, a dollar per channel or .20 cents per channel?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Do you not think technology has changed in 50 years? Went from 14 stations to 500?

So, a dollar per channel or .20 cents per channel?

No, I don't think cable quality has outpaced inflation over the past 40 years. The only difference is I am now offered hundreds more channels of crap I have no interest in watching.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In Vietnam I pay $6 a month for cable internet and TV, usually around $5 a month for prepaid cell phone service and less than $5 a month for prepaid 3G internet service for my iPad. I know it has nothing to do with your troubles - just ha ha.

And the average monthly salary in Vietnam is?????? ;)

Reaction Score
No, I don't this cable quality has outpaced inflation over the past 40 years. The only difference is I am now offered hundreds more channels of crap I have no interest in watching.

I second that, most of the channels they have were all once free or should be. Dog Whisperer is okay every now and then but now NG is overdosing on it. Reality shows have a home on cable and I don't watch but pay for. I could go on and on!

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
When cable first came to my area, I remember my parents arguing that $14/month was too much to pay. With inflation, $14 in the late 70's is probably ~$50 in today's dollars, maybe a bit more. My current cable bill is a hell of a lot more than that.

From the inflation calculator: What cost $14 in 1978 would cost $48.60 in 2012.

Reaction Score
I agree, 48.60 for 14 channels is quite a bit of money. Way happier that I pay 100 for 500 channels.

You guys in the 70s got ripped off!

Reaction Score
Update: Thanks guys for the advice.

Called the cable company and complained about my pricing, and threatened to switch. They put me onto the retention department like you guys said they would.

Well the rep stated that he can lower me to $135/mo (I'm at $175) and that was the very best he could do. I looked over to my wife and asked her was that good. After my wink she said that ATT was offering $125 and it wasn't good. The rep put me on hold again then came back and said that he can bring me down to $116 with an upgrade to faster internet speed (all for one year). I said fine.

You all saved me over $700 along with faster internet speed!

THANKS ALL!

Reaction Score
We are all walking around with mini computers that send txt and video with videochat anywhere in the world, computers, mobile devices on wifi. A zillion sporting events in HD that is usually better than being at the game. So I don't see the $300 a month with premium TV and sports as being that bad especially when my phone bill alone 20 years ago was $80 a month. I just negotiated a 2 year no increase deal with comcast, but there is a penalty if I quit.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Update: Thanks guys for the advice.

Called the cable company and complained about my pricing, and threatened to switch. They put me onto the retention department like you guys said they would.

Well the rep stated that he can lower me to $135/mo (I'm at $175) and that was the very best he could do. I looked over to my wife and asked her was that good. After my wink she said that ATT was offering $125 and it wasn't good. The rep put me on hold again then came back and said that he can bring me down to $116 with an upgrade to faster internet speed (all for one year). I said fine.

You all saved me over $700 along with faster internet speed!

THANKS ALL!
faster high speed? may not see the diffence but what the heck

Reaction Score
No, I don't this cable quality has outpaced inflation over the past 40 years. The only difference is I am now offered hundreds more channels of crap I have no interest in watching.

Getting HD back then must have been a waste without HD TVs.

Reaction Score
I'm in the same boat, currently shelling out over $200 per month for Xfinity triple play. Honestly, besides UCONN basketball I never even watch TV, and my landline connection comes in handy maybe once a year if I have to send a fax from home.

Has anyone here ever successfully "downgraded" from a triple-play package to internet-only? I'm wondering if I can get away with watching ESPN online if I just keep my internet subscription through Xfinity. Right now my TV and landline services are nothing but a huge waste of money that I can easily do without.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I know its gimmicky but milliseconds count when you get my age.

That's what she said.
We are all walking around with mini computers that send txt and video with videochat anywhere in the world, computers, mobile devices on wifi. A zillion sporting events in HD that is usually better than being at the game. So I don't see the $300 a month with premium TV and sports as being that bad especially when my phone bill alone 20 years ago was $80 a month. I just negotiated a 2 year no increase deal with comcast, but there is a penalty if I quit.

Good point. My cell phone bill has gone up modestly over the past 15 years or so, and they offer a lot more now, than then. My guess is this is a result of the often stated but rarely seen benifit of competition.

I have several options for cell carriers, but no real options for cable tv. My town has Charter, and Charter has a monopoly here.

Reaction Score
There is no longer a monopoly when it comes to TV. There are multiple players with Dish and Direct. AT&T is also now in the fold as long as you are in a town that they built their system in. AT&T stopped building Uverse, so if you don't have it now, ya aren't getting it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
There is no longer a monopoly when it comes to TV. There are multiple players with Dish and Direct. AT&T is also now in the fold as long as you are in a town that they built their system in. AT&T stopped building Uverse, so if you don't have it now, ya aren't getting it.

FIOS and ATT are not available in my area, and Satellite is not an option because of poor reception (trees and a small mountain are in the way).

Charter has the monopoly, at least in my town.

Reaction Score
Cut the trees down and move that mountain.

BTW, AT&T is going up about 7 bucks a month for their tv customers.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Cut the trees down and move that mountain.

BTW, AT&T is going up about 7 bucks a month for their tv customers.

The mountain is still there, but I did just remember that a couple years ago a tornado and the October storm cleared out most of the trees (and part of my house). My attempts to get DirectTV working were several years ago.

With that said, I've heard DirectTV still has issues with poor reception, especially due to weather.

Question for you, or anyone else: Has DirectTV gotten any better?

If not, my best option is to wait (hope) for my favorite Channels to be available via streaming. But then again, once this happens, my Internet bill will be the one going up dramatically. Charter will get me one way or the other.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Direct tv can be a problem in high winds. They are also sneaky at bumping up your bill. Having said that ; they are also easy to talk into discounts and credits.

Reaction Score
I went to fcc.gov and filed a complaint against Verizon. Stay tuned. In the min, some account exec will get his ass broiled since the lawyers don't like to see the neg stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom