OT--songs by women who rock | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT--songs by women who rock

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
though I almost doubt that the latter group really was real

They played a gig in Seattle fairly recently. I didn't go, so I can't actually confirm they are real. As far as I know they are though.

Glad you've enjoyed the thread.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
While I do like this thread, I continue to by amazed at some posters interpretation of "women who rock". The "women" part is pretty well covered, but some of the ideas of what "rocks" implies is very different than mine.

Reaction Score
Now here's an English voice for you from back then - Annie Haslam with Renaissance:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
While I do like this thread, I continue to by amazed at some posters interpretation of "women who rock". The "women" part is pretty well covered, but some of the ideas of what "rocks" implies is very different than mine.

Definitely very different interpretations of who "rock." Life is full of surprises though. Last night I saw the Cowboy Junkies in concert. Their music in general is very mellow. Not live. The guitars were more hard rock style, and Margo Timmins, who has one of the most soothing voices I've heard, was really belting it out on some of the songs. Last night she rocked, and I would have never thought to include her in this category previously.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Eilen Jewell.

I really like her voice, and her style. I know she passes thru Seattle periodically. Haven't caught one of her shows yet, but I need to. From Boise, Idaho I believe.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Haim's music "rocks" pretty gently much of the time but they can get after it when they want to.

Skip to about 3:15 or so for Danielle's sweet guitar solo.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It's song thread season. I'm bumping this one, because I've found some stuff I didn't know about before that fits in this category. I've dabbled around the edges of goth metal, but apparently there are just a boat load of bands out there doing this (and the closely related symphonic metal), mostly from northern European/Scandinavian countries. Some of the bands sound remarkably similar to each other. Here's one in particular I like, Within Temptation.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
If you're into that kind of thing, this is wish fulfillment kind of stuff, a duet w/ the lead singers of Within Temptation and Nightwish, 2 of the bigger bands in that genre.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I don't think this band is very well known. I just stumbled on this song on you tube, something about it I find really mesmerizing.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I might've used this band before. They rock the hell out of a Lady Gaga cover song. Live version, audio isn't the highest quality.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
One more. This is in the category of people you wouldn't think of as rockers who can really rock if they want to. Pretty cool because it's a sister duo doing of a cover of a Heart song (a sister duo from Seattle) while live in Seattle, and bonus points because I was at this show. They brought the house down w/ this song. Couldn't match the guitar intro, but the vocals are a pretty darn good tribute to Ann Wilson. This is WAY different than First Aid Kit's normal style.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom