OT: Scotch thread | Page 17 | The Boneyard

OT: Scotch thread

Reaction Score
You nailed it. Blue is boring as hell. This may help for anyone who wants to understand the differences in JW. Why Johnnie Walker Scotch Whisky Doesn’t Deserve Its Bad Rap - Eater Green is really the only one I'd consider buying, and then only on sale.

Compass Box Great King Street -Artists blend is another good cheap blend like Monkey Shoulder, and the "Marrying Casks" if you find one, are quite solid. Unpeated Compass Box is almost always going to be Clynelish heavy, so if you like those, Clynelish 14 might be worth trying. I love that CB tells you exactly what is in everything.
That's a great article. One of the things I always appreciated about the Green was that it was a vatted malt. Not a lot of these out there. I saw it for $49 in Bristol yesterday and was tempted.

I couldn't believe that I saw an ad where JW advocated putting the Gold in the freezer. If you pay $60+ for a Scotch why would you deaden the flavor by freezing it? If you pay $60+ for a Scotch you shouldn't need to deaden the flavor! A local packie has White Walker for $15.99 a bottle so I scooped up a couple. Now THAT, I throw in the freezer!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Interesting, because I used to think JW Red was decent and in the 80s and 90s it was my blend of choice (I far preferred it to Dewar's, which I thought was thin and boring). But now I don't like it, and I like the JW Black much better (I have a client who drinks it, and I usually join him when we are dining together). But like @storrsroars , my house blend for the past couple decades has been Famous Grouse. I guess I should check out Monkey Shoulder and see how it compares.
It's a blend of malts, no single grain. "The three malt components that form Monkey Shoulder’s smooth, malty and fruity character were once derived from William Grant’s three Speyside distilleries: Balvenie, Glenfiddich and Kininvie. Nowadays the recipe is a closely guarded secret, featuring an undisclosed combination of ‘different’ Speyside single malts." Famous Grouse is reportedly about 65% grain, but I've not had it.

Reaction Score
I had a chance to meet Richard Paterson at a tasting in New Haven some years back. He's the master blender for Whyte and Mackay and a hell of a character!
Here's his take on how to taste whisky.

Paterson was charged by Whyte and Mackay with recreating the Scotch that was left on Antarctica in the 1900s by Ernest Shackleton.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
But like @storrsroars , my house blend for the past couple decades has been Famous Grouse. I guess I should check out Monkey Shoulder and see how it compares.
I've read and heard good things about Monkey Shoulder, and what we have in PA is 86 proof vs FG 80. The MS is $8 more for a 750ml (and oddly $24 more for a handle). I'll probably give it a go next trip.

Have you ever tried Naked Grouse, the 86 proof version? It's $30 here, but not at all stores (including mine).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've read and heard good things about Monkey Shoulder, and what we have in PA is 86 proof vs FG 80. The MS is $8 more for a 750ml (and oddly $24 more for a handle). I'll probably give it a go next trip.

Have you ever tried Naked Grouse, the 86 proof version? It's $30 here, but not at all stores (including mine).
Have not tried the Naked Grouse. Will look for it.

Reaction Score
First, I have the palette of a three-year old. I have Cheerios for dinner twice a week. Pretty sure that simplicity carries over into Scotch, beer and everything else.

Honestly, I have never tried Johnny Walker Blue. No particular reason why, I just haven’t.
Think you're hard on yourself re: palette. Let me put it another way.. You're certainly an adventurous imbiber. Meant as a compliment.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Think you're hard on yourself re: palette. Let me put it another way.. You're certainly an adventurous imbiber. Meant as a compliment.

Pure pandemic boredom.

Monkey Shoulder is just good. There’s certainly nothing wrong with JW Black and even JW Red is fine for what it is, but I just found Monkey Shoulder to be better than both. For the money, no reason not to have it around.

Reaction Score
Anyone tried any of the Dewars Double Double series yet? Heard good things about the 32 yr old DD.. Dewars that is

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
First, I have the palette of a three-year old. I have Cheerios for dinner twice a week. Pretty sure that simplicity carries over into Scotch, beer and everything else.

Honestly, I have never tried Johnny Walker Blue. No particular reason why, I just haven’t.
I got to taste Blue at Stews whiskey tasting and I was very unimpressed, I wouldn’t pay to drink it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I got to taste Blue at Stews whiskey tasting and I was very unimpressed, I wouldn’t pay to drink it.

For something that expensive, I would need a lot of convincing and nothing I’ve heard about it makes it seem that appealing.

Reaction Score
Couple questions for the group:

1. Got a bottle of Glenfiddich 21 Reservation Rum Cask Finish as a regift. I know it’s some what pricey, but good?
  2. Do you guys keep the fancy boxes when you get a fancy bottle? They take up so much room and my bottles aren’t exposed to light. I don’t see the purpose, but maybe I’m missing something? I toss them when I get the bottle home.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

1. Got a bottle of Glenfiddich 21 Reservation Rum Cask Finish as a regift. I know it’s some what pricey, but good?
  2. Do you guys keep the fancy boxes when you get a fancy bottle? They take up so much room and my bottles aren’t exposed to light. I don’t see the purpose, but maybe I’m missing something? I toss them when I get the bottle home.
1. Drink it and let us know.

2. No.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It may be cliche and/or overpriced, but damned if Lagavulin 16 isn’t the best expression of that style for my tastes. Caol Ila is fine but Lagavulin is just…better.

And no, @HuskyHawk , I still haven‘t tried Wee Beasty, but I think it needs to be the next Islay I buy when the Caol Ila kicks.

I don’t see myself souring on the Lagavulin though.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It may be cliche and/or overpriced, but damned if Lagavulin 16 isn’t the best expression of that style for my tastes. Caol Ila is fine but Lagavulin is just…better.

And no, @HuskyHawk , I still haven‘t tried Wee Beasty, but I think it needs to be the next Islay I buy when the Caol Ila kicks.

I'll wager you'll like Wee Beastie more than the Ardbeg 10.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I'll wager you'll like Wee Beastie more than the Ardbeg 10.

Lagavulin 16 is nice. It's very "smooth", no real sharp edges and the age and low proof helps keep it that way. I liked the Lagavulin 12 better for sure, but it's way too expensive now. Nearly everything from Laphroaig is more of a kick in the teeth, too often with medicinal phenols, but I like most Cairdeas expressions that soften those. Wee Beastie is certainly more aggressive than the Lagavulin 16, younger, higher proof. But the sherry cask influence makes it more fun than the 10 in my opinion. Caol Ila is a sister distillery to Lagavulin, using the same malt, but distilling differently. The Lagavulin 8 will get closer to the Laga 16 than Caol Ila 12 does, and is much cheaper.

All of these are different. I get kind of a campfire smoke from Lagavulin. Laphroaig is less wood smoky, and more dried seaweed on fire with the medicinal and iodine phenols. Ardbeg has that BBQ smoked meat profile and a hint of burnt rubber or tar. Port Charlotte (and Octomore even more so), have heavy wood smoke, some rubber, but that over simplifies it. Hazelburn is lots of earthy fall leave fire smoke and also a funky umami profile. That just scratches the surface really, there is peated Scotch outside of the Islands and Campbelltown. The phenols from peat dried barley in Scotch are pretty interesting. Phenol fables: peat’s secrets uncovered | Scotch Whisky

Matthew Fergusson-Stewart | Peated Whisky and Phenols (matthewfergussonstewart.com)

Reaction Score
1. Drink it and let us know.

2. No.
It may be a while before I drink it! I have an annoying habit of saving the good stuff for the right occasion. I know that any time can be the right occasion, but more times than not I grab a more reasonable "house whiskey."

In reference to Johnnie Walker Blue mentioned above, I have two bottles. I got both as gifts. When I got the second bottle I noticed it was MUCH heavier than the first bottle (which is only half full, but it was a noticeable difference). They've totally stepped up their bottle game over the years. The old bottle was a regular JW bottle other than being blue. The new one is a much nicer and thicker glass.

Speaking of JW Blue, I find it inconsistent. I've definitely had some pours that are better than others. I always chalked it up to JB being a blend and pulling from more rare barrels. But that's an amateur's theory!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I’m here to argue against the ‘save for a special occasion’ gambit. It backfires - you’re setting it up for failure. The best time to try it is when you’re in the mood to try it. (It’s also not like an $600 bottle that you will never buy again. This one will last you ages and if you want another, $250 is not going to put you in the street.)

But no, I have never tried it.

I usually throw the tube or box away before I get the bottle into the house. No show ponies in the bunch - they are here to be consumed.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
I’m here to argue against the ‘save for a special occasion’ gambit. It backfires - you’re setting it up for failure. The best time to try it is when you’re in the mood to try it. (It’s also not like an $600 bottle that you will never buy again. This one will last you ages and if you want another, $250 is not going to put you in the street.)

I usually throw the tube or box away before I get the bottle into the house. No show ponies in the bunch - they are here to be consumed.
I got as a business gift a bottle of Macallan 21 which msrps at $1299, which is ridiculous. I agree, if you've got a great bottle, why save it. I have a sip whenever the mood strikes, definitely not saving it for a special occasion. I think the pandemic showed us to enjoy things when we can. I drank a bunch of older bottles (2004 - 2014) of wine I had cellared.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

The only argument for keeping the tube is if your storage has exposure to a lot of light. Mine doesn't, so I toss them. Light is the enemy of whisky.

@Drumguy That's a bottle you could quite easily have sold on the secondary market. I realize not everyone knows it exists. I agree with both of you on not saving stuff (some wine may need age though), but I go through the expensive or hard to replace stuff more slowly than things I can rebuy anytime. But we only live once, enjoy while you can.

It looks like Springbank 15 is going to be my next bottle. Opened another Lagavulin 8 yesterday. Need to go rebuy a backup while it is still $40.

I am hoping the removal of tariffs might help prices, but with inflation exploding I doubt we see it.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
The only argument for keeping the tube is if your storage has exposure to a lot of light. Mine doesn't, so I toss them. Light is the enemy of whisky.

@Drumguy That's a bottle you could quite easily have sold on the secondary market. I realize not everyone knows it exists. I agree with both of you on not saving stuff (some wine may need age though), but I go through the expensive or hard to replace stuff more slowly than things I can rebuy anytime. But we only live once, enjoy while you can.

It looks like Springbank 15 is going to be my next bottle. Opened another Lagavulin 8 yesterday. Need to go rebuy a backup while it is still $40.

I am hoping the removal of tariffs might help prices, but with inflation exploding I doubt we see it.
I thought about it, but I figured that I wouldn't spend that myself, but this fell into my lap. ... so I'm drinking it!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Thought I’d share. I’m sure the odds are terrible but the cost is zero, and so far they haven‘t been sending me emails. Win a trip to Islay from Bruichladdich. I think they are promoting the Water of Life movie, which is pretty good. Definitely a bit of an ode to Jim McEwan.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Monkey Shoulder is just good. There’s certainly nothing wrong with JW Black and even JW Red is fine for what it is, but I just found Monkey Shoulder to be better than both. For the money, no reason not to have it around.

my house blend for the past couple decades has been Famous Grouse. I guess I should check out Monkey Shoulder and see how it compares.
So I bought some this week. Just having first taste now, Glencairn, no added water.

I wouldn't call it "smooth". It has some rougher edges compared to Famous Grouse. It's got more butterscotch notes than anything I've had since Laphroaig, but little to none of the iodine. Lots of vanilla and winter spices (allspice, clove), along with more burn than I typically like, but I quickly got used to that. I think it would please most scotch drinkers. It's a good alternative to sit right next to my Grouse, but it won't replace it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So I bought some this week. Just having first taste now, Glencairn, no added water.

I wouldn't call it "smooth". It has some rougher edges compared to Famous Grouse. It's got more butterscotch notes than anything I've had since Laphroaig, but little to none of the iodine. Lots of vanilla and winter spices (allspice, clove), along with more burn than I typically like, but I quickly got used to that. I think it would please most scotch drinkers. It's a good alternative to sit right next to my Grouse, but it won't replace it.
I picked up a bottle today and just had my first dram. Agree with your take. Lots of butterscotch. I like it and it will get drank because I will choose it when I don’t have a hankering for anything else. Nothing to love but it’s easy to like.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So I followed it up with a Nikka Coffey Grain, which was fine and as expected; and just now with a Lagavulin 16.

@HuskyHawk or @storrsroars , or anyone else with more knowledge about this: why is Lagavulin 16 so damn smooth? What do they do to soften the edges but still deliver all the goodness? I keep trying to put other things up against it and it always prevails for me at the end of the day. I am trying to understand why.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom