OT: Quick look back at 2012 predictions.... | The Boneyard

OT: Quick look back at 2012 predictions....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm super bored during this winter warcraft blizzard of the decade. So i decided to go back and look at my preseason predictions ( http://www.the-boneyard.com/threads/official-2012-season-prediction-thread.22282/ ) and see how I did. I figure whats the point of predicting if you don't assess how you do at the end.

Predictions Actual
8/30 - UMass - W- 38-6 -------------------------W 37-0
9/8 - NC State - W- 20-17 ------------------------L 7-10 *
9/15 - @ Maryland - W 17-13 --------------------W24-21
9/22 - @ W.Mich - W 24-17 ---------------------L 24-30 *
9/29 - Buffalo - W 31-14 -------------------------W 24-17
10/6 - @ Rutgers - L 14-30 ----------------------L 3-19
10/13-Temple-W 28-27 --------------------------L 14-17 *
10/19 - @ Syr - W 30-10 -------------------------L 10-40 *
11/3 - @ USF - L 9-23 ----------------------------L 6-13
11/9 - Pitt - W- 35-6 -----------------------------W 24-17
11/24 -@Louisville - L- 17-33 ------------------W 23-20 *
12/1 - Cincinnati - L 21-35 -----------------------L 17-34
(8-4) (5-7)

Offensive POY:
1) McCombs prediction stats: 1095 yards 9 td 22 catches 310 yds 1 td
McCombs actual stats: 860 yards 6 td 24 catches 230 yds 0 td

2) Shak'em prediction stats: 49 catches 644 yards 6 td
Shak'em actual stats: 32 catches 399 yards 1 td

Defensive POY:
1) Sio Moore prediction stats: 98 tackles (62 solo) 15 TFL 6 sks 2 int 2 def tds
Sio Moore prediction stats: 72 tackles (45 solo) 15.5 TFL 8 sks 0 int 0 def tds

2) Yawin prediction stats: 107 tackles (60 solo) 8 TFL 3 sks 1 int
Yawin actual stats: 120 tackles (59 solo) 15 TFL 4 sks 0 int

After all said and done I would have to say:

Offensive POY (awfully hard to pick one): 1) Geremy Davis: 44 catches 613 yards 1 td
2) Ryan Griffin: 29 catches 484 yards 6 tds

Defensive POY : 1) Yawin Smallwood:(stats above)
2) Sio Moore: (stats above)
2) Trevardo Williams: 43 tackles 13.5 TFL 11.5 sks

Prediction Grade: ehhhhhh......C+/B-

--------- always turns out that you wish the predictions were the way it turned out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why did you think Pitt would be so bad?

Trevardo seems like an obvious choice for DPOY. If every defensive lineman not gotten hurt (including him) he might have had 20 sacks.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Alright, I'll play too. Here was my 13-0 prediction in that very thread, so let's see where I went wrong (I'll highlight the ones in blue that were very good, ones in gray that I just missed on, and the ones in red that were terrible terrible predictions):

UMass - W UMass feels like they are winning when they receive the ball first in the first quarter. 24 seconds later, it becomes painfully apparent that they are not.
NCSU - W Tough game. But it's tough to win at the Rent, and the 12th man really brings it. Win by 3.
@UMd - W Hi, Randy! We put the coach firmly into the fire by keeping him winless and we win the Edsall bowl by 10 on the road.
@WMU - W Payback is a bitch, which is exactly what we make WMU by winning by 17.
Buffalo - W For more on this, see UMass.
@ Rutgers -W All the notables are in attendance, from James Gandolfini to "The Situation." The only situation going on here is that UConn wins by 4...
Temple - W In honor of the late Ron Palillo, "Welcome back, Temple." UConn wins by 10.
@SU - W A parting gift of sorts. We beat Syracuse in the Carrier Dome as we say goodbye one last time. A squeaker, though, as we only win by 3.
@USF - W This game is being played late in the year, when USF is typically "hitting their stride." UConn wins by 3 for the second straight week on the road.
Pitt- W An additional parting gift for our friends from the Steel City. The Dream Season is too hot to be stopped by Pitt, as we win by 4 at home.
@UL - W The one that everyone has been waiting for, ever since UConn was 7-0. A brutal game that goes into overtime. The turning point is a Blidi Wreh-Wilson interception of "Teddy Heisman" as he was throwing to....Bryce McNeal. Seals the 3 point OT win.
Cinci - W With everything to play for, the Rent is rocking off of the foundation. A tough game that UConn squeezes out with a 1 point victory, and the state (and region) is bonkers over the Dream Season.

I gave myself a little leeway on the NCState prediction, since that one went to the wire and I thought that it would. Some of the other ones were brutal of course. The interesting one was my prediction of the 3-point overtime win against Louisville which included the prediction of a Blidi Wreh-Wilson pick of Teddy Bridgewater, which makes me a friggin' Nostradamus (except for the fact that I lost 7 games that I thought would be wins, but other than that...). That's pretty cool that it went down like that. However, I would have rather we went 13-0... :oops:

Reaction Score
Why did you think Pitt would be so bad?

Trevardo seems like an obvious choice for DPOY. If every defensive lineman not gotten hurt (including him) he might have had 20 sacks.

The coaching turnover and the manner in which it happened I figured created so major off field distractions and turmoil. To go along with graham coming off major knee surgery, Tino Sunseri still being there starting QB and an adequate Oline, I figured they were going to be very bad. Many people disagreed with me in the preseason. I think I was pretty right with that one considering they only won 6 games and 4 of them were to Gardner-Webb, a 3-9 South Florida team, Temple and Buffalo. And they lost to Youngstown State.

I also was thinking of picking Trevardo Williams for DPOY but I figured with him coming off the year he had as a junior teams were going to slide protect to his side more and key on him. Now either that didn't happen or they certainly didn't execute.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Dan what you lacked in accuracy you made up in creativity.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The coaching turnover and the manner in which it happened I figured created so major off field distractions and turmoil. To go along with graham coming off major knee surgery, Tino Sunseri still being there starting QB and an adequate Oline, I figured they were going to be very bad. Many people disagreed with me in the preseason. I think I was pretty right with that one considering they only won 6 games and 4 of them were to Gardner-Webb, a 3-9 South Florida team, Temple and Buffalo. And they lost to Youngstown State.

I also was thinking of picking Trevardo Williams for DPOY but I figured with him coming off the year he had as a junior teams were going to slide protect to his side more and key on him. Now either that didn't happen or they certainly didn't execute.

Pitt wasn't good, but that one score was such an outlier. Funny thing being if they dropped the hammer that could have been about the outcome but the staff would pull back with leads.

Reaction Score
Pitt wasn't good, but that one score was such an outlier. Funny thing being if they dropped the hammer that could have been about the outcome but the staff would pull back with leads.

Haha thats funny you say that because I thought I remembered us getting way out ahead in that game and as I was writing this up I went and checked the box score and saw we were up 24 to nothing at half. Apparently GDL woke up from his nap at halftime and started calling plays.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Haha thats funny you say that because I thought I remembered us getting way out ahead in that game and as I was writing this up I went and checked the box score and saw we were up 24 to nothing at half. Apparently GDL woke up from his nap at halftime and started calling plays.

They went into three painful shells at home. Buffalo, Temple and Pitt. Luckily two leads were too large to blow.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Dan what you lacked in accuracy you made up in creativity.

My prediction post should be considered a case study for anyone who believes in people like Nostradamus. Often times, people will disregard the "more-often-than-not" times that someone was wrong, if they discover a few instances where they were EXTREMELY right. You could imagine some wingnut 20 years from now writing a story about this guy on the Boneyard that accurately predicted both the outcome of the UConn-Louisville game and the manner in which it would happen, so therefore we should follow all of his teachings...

(the writer, of course, would be HFD) :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer