OT -People: Get Outside | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT -People: Get Outside

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
can't really finish planting prep here in ct -too wet, and the clay spots have a tendency in spring of acting like oil slicks. and wood processing is similarily challenged since the bark is acting like greased lightning. if someone would ask me to characterize the recent weather here, id say 'slippery.' lol. lots of pruning, chip and mulch making, and always -hiking. speaking of which, trespassing is way up. oh well, folks need air. can't repair roads either (regrading, filling in ruts, and such). on the other hand, we do 'pack up,' and take long bicycle and dirt bike rides. freshwater angling too, tho im definitely more of a salt water type. we skipped sugaring this year. the maples were not cooperating. maybe next year. one day at a time.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Living on a ranch in Northeastern NM you have to get outside. Weather is very good, but lots of things to do especially taking care of the stock and getting the first 500 acres of hay in the ground. Besides that, it's Spring Trout season and even though the run off from the mountains is quick, it still is a good time to go fishing. I still love riding Gracie, my pet horse, around and just taking in the sights and visiting Sam, my stud bull who has been retired. I still think that he likes the ladies.

I do hope that you folks have the chance to get outside and enjoy some of the Spring. Take a walk with your pets, or just do it for exercise. Remember to maintain your Social Distance. Share what you folks are doing for the Spring and what you are doing to get outside for some fresh air.

You live in an awesome part of the country! Several years ago one of my sons & I rode a circle route from CT down to NC/TN then west on rt40 to NM where we hopped onto the backroads to Sante Fe and Chama on our way thru Durango & Ouray CO to Salt Lake City then on to Glacier National Park and then home. The northern NM & southern CO areas are just great - if I could only convince my wife :(

Motorcycle ride

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You live in an awesome part of the country! Several years ago one of my sons & I rode a circle route from CT down to NC/TN then west on rt40 to NM where we hopped onto the backroads to Sante Fe and Chama on our way thru Durango & Ouray CO to Salt Lake City then on to Glacier National Park and then home. The northern NM & southern CO areas are just great - if I could only convince my wife :(

Motorcycle ride

That sounds like a great trip.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Too many bears out there!

I've seen quite a few bears while out hiking. The majority of them ran away, the rest ignored me and kept doing whatever they were already doing. Very, very unlikely a bear will cause you any harm.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I've seen quite a few bears while out hiking. The majority of them ran away, the rest ignored me and kept doing whatever they were already doing. Very, very unlikely a bear will cause you any harm.

Reaction Score
Spring sun flower in our front yard, Those flowers show up every beginning of spring and last only 2-3 weeks.

94143990_10217375472358576_3408728213541617664_n.jpg

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

Well all bets are off when fresh brownies are involved. :rolleyes: That bear had tags in its ears, I wonder if was previously identified as a problem bear? They may be more of a problem in suburban areas than in the back country.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Shoot one and eat it..... I hear bear ribs are great.
sorry bud, but bear ribs, specifically black bear (the only kind that I've had) ribs, are definitely 'not great.' barely edible. no pun intended. a very odd/unpleasant taste, no matter what you do to them.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Do you carry bear spray when you go hiking? You reminded me of a picture from a few years back here in my city. A Bear was spotting walking in the city minding his business on a peaceful Sunday morning.

bear in greensboro.jpg

sorry bud, but bear ribs, specifically black bear (the only kind that I've had) ribs, are definitely 'not great.' barely edible. no pun intended. a very odd/unpleasant taste, no matter what you do to them.

I gotta try it once before I leave this earth. It can't be any worse than liver or broccoli.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Do you carry bear spray when you go hiking? You reminded me of a picture from a few years back here in my city. A Bear was spotting walking in the city minding his business on a peaceful Sunday morning.

No bear spray. Usually my encounters are at a reasonable distance. A couple times was 20' or less away.

I will say bears in cities are probably more likely to be habituated and thus potentially more dangerous. Our bears out here in the mountains in Washington are very well behaved. :)

It also makes a difference if they are in National Parks. There is a hunting season in WA, in National Forests they tend to be skiddish. No hunting in National Parks, they're more likely to ignore you and just do their thing there.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I’ve had bear a couple of times, and it was delicious. Two things in general to point out, though. Bears have varied diets, and the flavor of the meat can vary quite a bit depending on that.

But more importantly, how an animal is hunted can make all the difference. I once got some deer meat from my in-laws. They’d let someone hunt on their land. I braised a bit of it, which was awful. So I put it into. batch of chili. Still awful. I doubled the recipe. I threw out two gallons of chili. When I asked my inlaws about it, they’d found the same thing. Turns out the hunters used dogs to run the deer, and it had enough lactic acid in in its system to ruin the meat.

Reaction Score
I’ve had bear a couple of times, and it was delicious. Two things in general to point out, though. Bears have varied diets, and the flavor of the meat can vary quite a bit depending on that.

But more importantly, how an animal is hunted can make all the difference. I once got some deer meat from my in-laws. They’d let someone hunt on their land. I braised a bit of it, which was awful. So I put it into. batch of chili. Still awful. I doubled the recipe. I threw out two gallons of chili. When I asked my inlaws about it, they’d found the same thing. Turns out the hunters used dogs to run the deer, and it had enough lactic acid in in its system to ruin the meat.

Yep, that is common with wild meat. If you have a runner, you have to field dress and drain them immediately. Not 30 mins later back at camp.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Interesting. I was doing some bear research yesterday and it seems that the bears of eastern NC have a diet high on corn, wheat, and peanuts...... do you think they would taste better than the average bear?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
The Chinese eat a lot of wild animals.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Shoot one and eat it..... I hear bear ribs are great.
I've shot a couple (how much crap will I get from that?) I've had bear meat on several occasions. Real close to high end fresh pork. Never had ribs though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom