OT- Pats Packers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT- Pats Packers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It makes me a Brady hater because I think Rodgers is better? ... Winning is all that matters so Eli Manning is better than Brady I guess, since he is 2-0 over him in Super Bowls and Eli is better than Peyton?
You did the same thing twice here. You changed what I said into something I didn't say, and then you refuted what I didn't say.
FIRST
You're not a Brady hate because you think Rodgers is better - I didn't write that or suggest that. Rodgers probably IS better right now. You're a Brady hater because you attempted to minimize Brady's greatness by 1. arguing he throws short/dinks, AND 2. arguing that his winning is based significantly on the "system" he is in rather than his own talent. Okay? That's what gives you up as a Brady hater. Believing that Rodgers is in the conversation for the GOAT just makes you a misguided Rodgers fan.

SECOND
I didn't write or suggest that winning is ALL that matters. That's silly, of course. But winning is certainly a critical ingredient to the mixture. If you don't believe that winning in the playoffs - when it matters - is critical, then I suggest you immediately become a Syracuse fan. Rodgers is going to have more chances to get into the GOAT conversation. If he wins this year, he starts getting into the conversation. If he loses, he's not in the conversation, and he won't get there until and unless he wins.

Do you argue all things this way? By incorrectly reformulating what the other person is arguing into an outlandish proposition that is easily shot down? It reminds me of my friend arguing with his wife - Friend to wife - "I think that it would be useful if you organized your desk a little more" - Wife - "So I'm the most disorganized person in the world, is that what you're saying?"

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think Rodgers is more talented than Brady. I also think Manning is more talented than either one.

All three will waltz into Canton.

Reaction Score
Rodgers is the greatest of all time in a number of statistical categories. It's not at all far fetched to call him the GOAT.
It's ridiculous to call him the GOAT in 2014, and another 8 great regular seasons is not going to change that. Give him a few years to win in the playoffs, and I think he's got a great shot, however, to vie for that title.

Reaction Score
I'm the furthest thing from a Packers fan but I do recognize greatness and Rodgers has it. I go by the eye test and Rodgers can do all the things the greatest QB's could do but he also does things the others can't. Brady and Manning are two of the best ever and probably two and three right now even at their relatively old ages but they simply can't do some of the things Rodgers can and they never could at a younger age. When you also factor in that Rodgers has the best #'s ever at this stage in his career you realize how absurd his level of play has been. If the only thing you are holding out on is that he doesn't have enough Super Bowls well he will have a lot of time to get another couple, he's going to win another MVP this year. Cheeky, just curious who you think is the best quarterback ever? Guessing it's Montana and Bradshaw but not sure, best NBA player must be Russell.

Reaction Score
I think Rodgers is more talented than Brady. I also think Manning is more talented than either one.

All three will waltz into Canton.
Are we talking now or total careers?

Reaction Score
It's ridiculous to call him the GOAT in 2014, and another 8 great regular seasons is not going to change that. Give him a few years to win in the playoffs, and I think he's got a great shot, however, to vie for that title.

I guess we just value different things.

Reaction Score
If the only thing you are holding out on is that he doesn't have enough Super Bowls
Yeah man, this is the THIRD time you did this. That is not what I wrote, argued, or suggested. I wrote that his post season play has not been GOATY. He won the SB once - well done. After that, he is 1 and 4.
It's not # of Super Bowls - that would be a ridiculous single measure of post season performance. It's a career's body of work in the post season. His career body of work in the post season probably isn't top 20.

Anyway - enjoyed the conversation - gotta get work done. I give the Packers a 65% chance of winning it all, and they're a likable team, so I'll be rooting for them.

Reaction Score
We weren't talking, really. I was talking.

Straight talent on their best day.

Now, I guess, we're talking.
Well we're talking but you didn't really answer the question: straight talent on their best day now or straight talent on their best day of their total career?

Reaction Score
I'm the furthest thing from a Packers fan but I do recognize greatness and Rodgers has it. I go by the eye test and Rodgers can do all the things the greatest QB's could do but he also does things the others can't. Brady and Manning are two of the best ever and probably two and three right now even at their relatively old ages but they simply can't do some of the things Rodgers can and they never could at a younger age. When you also factor in that Rodgers has the best #'s ever at this stage in his career you realize how absurd his level of play has been. If the only thing you are holding out on is that he doesn't have enough Super Bowls well he will have a lot of time to get another couple, he's going to win another MVP this year. Cheeky, just curious who you think is the best quarterback ever? Guessing it's Montana and Bradshaw but not sure, best NBA player must be Russell.

I don't think Rodgers stacks up to Manning or Brady. I wouldn't put Rodgers in the same class as Manning, Brady, Elway, Marino, Montana or Unitas. He's a step below those guys which is still really really good. Just not on the same level. That's my 2 cents.

Reaction Score
@Cheeky you're Syracuse analogy is not a good one. The problem you and others have in discussions like these is the failure to recognize that football is a team sport. That Brady won three super bowls does not make him a better all-time quarterback than Manning or Rodgers. There is a certain degree of research you have to do when assessing these things; why did Brady's team win? How did he play in the games that resulted in Super Bowls being won? How did the context of the roster influence what he was/wasn't asked to do?

Brady might well be the GOAT, or at least higher on the list than Manning and Rodgers. But I think that warrants a more comprehensive breakdown than "this guy won and this guy didn't". I mean, are you seriously arguing that Rodgers can't be in the discussion because he's only won one Super Bowl? When in fact his individual performances in the playoffs have typically been spectacular, and actually better than Brady or Manning? It's not Rodgers' fault that the Packers can't defend the read option, it isn't his fault that his defense gave up 52 points in his playoff debut, and it isn't his fault that they gave up 37 points to the Giants the year he won the MVP.

It's obviously nonsensical to attribute Brady's success to a system, but at the same time, you can't dismiss the inextricable career trajectories of he and Belichick. If on one hand you're going to argue that Brady's never had receiving talent and Peyton has, on the other you have to consider Brady has played his entire career for arguably the greatest coach of all-time while Peyton is on coach four or five now.

Again, I'm not taking a side here. I just think these conversations are always reduced to the most convenient iterations of the latest talk show narratives.

Reaction Score
Yeah man, this is the THIRD time you did this. That is not what I wrote, argued, or suggested. I wrote that his post season play has not been GOATY. He won the SB once - well done. After that, he is 1 and 4.
It's not # of Super Bowls - that would be a ridiculous single measure of post season performance. It's a career's body of work in the post season. His career body of work in the post season probably isn't top 20.

Anyway - enjoyed the conversation - gotta get work done. I give the Packers a 65% chance of winning it all, and they're a likable team, so I'll be rooting for them.
This post is entirely different than anything else you said in this thread, you can't keep changing the goal posts. You have now told me I don't think Brady is good despite me saying he's one of the best ever. You said it's all about winning which I took to mean winning Super Bowls, so it's post season play and numbers don't matter at all? It's tough having a back and forth with someone when they keep changing the parameters. I've been consistent with what I've said, in my opinion Brady is one of the best I've ever seen and Rodgers is the best. As for giving the Packers a 65% chance of winning it all, that seems just a tad high, lol.

Reaction Score
Both are great quarterbacks but what separates them is Rodgers is able to move out of the pocket and throw accurately on the run while Brady is pretty much a pocket passer. Number of Superbowls or playoff wins in pretty meaningless since these are team accomplishments. As a pure passer in their prime Manning and Marino were probably a shade better.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You can actually mix up Manning, Rogers and Brady and be happy with any of them. But watching each play and depending on the line they have, Rogers could easily be the best of all 3 at this point this year. He's moving around making plays the other 2 can't but again, anyone can argue for any of the 3 and win.

I'm a Brady guy, and prefer him on my team for a potential super bowl run, but the above post is fact.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Such a weird conversation.

Brady - 3 Championships. Really hard to trump that from a pure best of all time conversation.
Manning - He will hold all the passing records after next year and has a championship. Really hard to trump from a pure best of all time conversation.
Rogers - Best all time ratings in several categories and has a championship. 7 years more stats to get to Brady/Manning age (and if he can still excel at that age). Really hard to trump form a pure best of all time conversation.

At this point - if you're talking best of all time, Brady > Manning , Rogers getting an incomplete with Montana and Marino and Bradshaw all raising their hands.

Reaction Score
I think this comment comes off as homerish: "Brady is one of the best ever but a lot of his greatness is predicated on the system. He doesn't have the arm strength down the field and can't run a lick but he is a master at dinking and dunking and his accuracy and mental game are off the charts."

These are things you said that downgrade Brady.

1. Brady's greatness is predicated on the system.

Rebuttal: what great QB doesn't have a system? Manning has one, Montana had one, Rodgers plays a variant of a pretty famous one in GB.

2. Brady doesn't have arm strength to throw downfield.

Rebuttal: Where did you come up with this? Most NFL experts and scouts see Brady as having a very strong arm. When Mayock had the ESPN Sports science guys measure velocity at all spots of the field, no one had a stronger arm than Brady.

3. Dinking and dunking.

Rebuttal: This was true of Brady when he was young, his first 2 or 3 years. But in his 4th year, he jumped to the top of the league in long throws, and YPA and YPC, and he has stayed there his whole career. In recent years, his long bombs have gone way down, but this also coincided with the fact that he hasn't had one single WR threat downfield post-Randy Moss. How was Brady's downfield arm when Randy Moss was around? Pretty damn good.

Although this wasn't a completion, have a look at the video and look at his arm strength:

65 yards downfield on a line, pinpoint accuracy, and also thrown across the field which probably makes it an 80 yarder.

Just wondering you're old enough to have watched vintage early 1980s Dan Marino? Because if you're ooing and ahhing at Rodgers release and accuracy and arm, I don't think he's nearly as good. Then again, no one was as good as Marino. Not Manning, not Brady, not Montana. But the other 3 guys had elements to their game that Marino didn't. Marino, for instance was easily flustered.

As for running out of the pocket, it's a great weapon in the arsenal. It is just one weapon however. There are other parts of the game that are just as useful. Like pocket awareness. Brady and Marino are the two best I've ever seen when it comes to that. Then there's quick release. Marino is the best. Then Manning and Brady and Rodgers. Montana and Brady share a trait that Manning doesn't have, and which Marino possessed little of. Rodgers hasn't been in enough pressure situations to know how he'd it'll play out. Montana and Brady were capable of collecting themselves when things were going bad, and they knew when to press and when to take a sack, when to make a big play, and hen they needed to keep their teams in the game. Manning has simply gone haywire and done stupid stuff way too many times in his career. He is not nearly as bizarre as Favre, but Manning is up there when it comes to that.

I believe in the other Patriot thread we already had a discussion about stats, so I am not impressed by the fact that Rodgers has all these numbers early in his career. The NFL changed in 2006 and prevented all the jamming and grabbing that was going on 10 yards downfield. Everyone's numbers went up, not just Rodgers's. In fact, you can compare all the QBs from that point on and Rodgers's numbers don't jump out at you. But I'm not big on QB stats regardless since they tend to miss the biggest picture of all, like scoring points and touchdowns. QB stats don't account for the QBs part in that.

At the end of the day, the fact that you think Brady is a product of the system, that Brady is a dinker and dunker, that Brady has a weak downfield arm, tells me that you were mightily impressed by the fact that he was drafted in the 6th round, and no matter what the guy did or does, he could never rise to the highest level in your eyes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Brady is a "system" QB only in as much as he is the system. Ball-control to high-flying and all those in between have been the Pats system in the Brady era.

Reaction Score
Not sure Randy Moss catching a bomb is a good answer. When was that?

As we speak today there is no reason for anyone to speak of the 3 mentioned above and have a problem with anyone having any order. If you like Rodgers better then you have an argument. If you think Brady is now more of a short passer, well he is but that's what the offense wins with. He has a strong arm still. PManning's numbers have been from a good dinner game too.

I would give Rodgers the edge on them all simply because he moves a ton better than either and throws on the run better than either as we speak today!

Reaction Score
Not sure Randy Moss catching a bomb is a good answer. When was that?

It was a very long time ago. It's been 5 years since that time. Brady hasn't had a downfield WR since that time. Not one. Edelman, Welker, Gronk and Hernandez. Not a single one is a downfield burner.

LaFell is their first good WR import in years, and the guy is doing great, but at Carolina he was not known to have good speed.

Belichick has missed on his 4 WR draft picks in that post Moss era (Taylor Price 3rd round, Josh Boyce 3rd round, Brandon Tate 2nd round, Aaron Dobson 2nd round). That's a lot of wasted draft picks. Fortunately, the Patriots have done well with Gronk (2nd round) and Edelman (7th round).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom