OT: Overrated US cities | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Overrated US cities

Reaction Score
New Freakin York
I totally get if people don’t like New York, as @HuskyHawk has said in an older thread, but it’s a great city, one of the best in the world for sure.

I equate it to Paris. I wasn’t a big fan, but it’s a great city. Even though I didn’t really like it, I can’t say it’s overrated.

Reaction Score
Denver and Boulder. I went there twice in the last few years and was unimpressed. For whatever reason I expected Denver to be in the mountains and be this unique, cool city. No, it's just at the end of the Great Plains up against the Rockies. I found it a bit boring and to lack charm and personality. Boulder was fine but nothing special. I've learned that landlocked cities aren't my thing.

I don't know exactly how "rated" it is but Mrytle Beach was not my cup of tea whatsoever. Hooters and overpriced golf. Many people love that place though.

Orlando is awful, but so is all of Florida outside of Miami, based on my experience so far.

Vegas, you either love it or you hate it. I'm not a fan.

Boston itself is a wonderful city--meaning the architecture, food, history, etc.--but (most of) the people and the accent make it insufferable.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
For me, LA. I realize what's there - food scene, weather (if you don't want 4 real seasons) and an ocean...but the negatives are just too long a list and too much for me.

I've traveled to SF for almost 30 years and I really liked it alot, but It's become a mess. I'm not sure where it stands in public "ratings" now, but I don't have any desire to travel there anymore. Pretty sad, imho.

Miami - for the reasons already covered.

Nashville - already covered.

Orlando - it's a wasteland if you venture outside of the parks.

Oh, and Charlotte, NC

Reaction Score
Just curious what's overrated about Denver. I was there for a couple days just before COVID and thought it was a pretty cool city. Wasn't there nearly long enough to get a real understanding of it though. Had a good dinner and some drinks on the company dime.

Reaction Score
Boston itself is a wonderful city--meaning the architecture, food, history, etc.--but (most of) the people and the accent make it insufferable.
And we are the snobbiest place in the country. ?

Reaction Score
The only city that's even in the same neighborhood for "worst flights home" is LV. I used to intentionally take the last flight out of Orlando specifically to avoid families and their cranky kids.
Just flew home from Orlando airport. Nuts is an understatement. TSA line wrapped almost back to baggage check

Reaction Score
For me, LA. I realize what's there - food scene, weather (if you don't want 4 real seasons) and an ocean...but the negatives are just too long a list and too much for me.

I've traveled to SF for almost 30 years and I really liked it alot, but It's become a mess. I'm not sure where it stands in public "ratings" now, but I don't have any desire to travel there anymore. Pretty sad, imho.

Miami - for the reasons already covered.

Nashville - already covered.

Orlando - it's a wasteland if you venture outside of the parks.

Oh, and Charlotte, NC
LA is the one for me.
Meanwhile San Diego is a top tier city for me.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Overrated?

San Fran
New Orleans
Wash DC

Two out of three. San Francisco would top my overrated list. When I lived in/near San Jose friends came out from KC and we went to San Francisco. They were appalled at how filthy, smelly and gross it was. So little greenery too. Few trees. It’s now 10x worse. It looks really nice from helicopter shots in movies. The natural setting is spectacular.

DC stinks. Didn’t know people liked it. I’d put NYC high on my overrated list. Austin is probably overrated at present, even if it wasn’t some years ago. Portland OR and Seattle are now overrated and in decline. Seattle was terrific in the 90s.

I love New Orleans except Bourbon street. It’s charm is elsewhere. No place that lets you carry your drink out into the street can be called overrated. That alone means it should be exalted. Add fantatsic music, food and gorgeous old homes.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Denver and Boulder. I went there twice in the last few years and was unimpressed. For whatever reason I expected Denver to be in the mountains and be this unique, cool city. No, it's just at the end of the Great Plains up against the Rockies. I found it a bit boring and to lack charm and personality. Boulder was fine but nothing special. I've learned that landlocked cities aren't my thing.

Just curious what's overrated about Denver. I was there for a couple days just before COVID and thought it was a pretty cool city. Wasn't there nearly long enough to get a real understanding of it though. Had a good dinner and some drinks on the company dime.
I lived in Denver for a year and liked it much better than I expected to, and it has only improved in all respects in the 30(!) years since. Like @Lefty2one , I thought I would hate being away from the water because I had previously only lived on the east and west coasts. It took very little time to start appreciating all the Rockies had to offer, and I quickly found that seeing them in my front or rear view every day did a great job of replacing that sense of majesty that the coast also holds for me.

As I posted in the underrated thread, I probably prefer Fort Collins because it is a cool little college town (Colorado State University) that is just as well located vis-a-vis the Rockies as both Denver and Boulder but it doesn’t have the pretense. The absolute best thing about all of them is the ready access to so much great outdoor recreation stuff like skiing, hiking, biking, etc. so if that’s not your thing Colorado in general is probably not your place. It’s a very outdoorsy place in general.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine anyone outside of California being able to find Stockton on a map nevermind have an opinion of it.

As a frequent traveler to Cali, I would consider Stockton to be a turdhole.

Rivals El Centro in terms of worst places I've been in the US, and I grew up in Albany.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Rivals El Centro in terms of worst places I've been in the US, and I grew up in Albany.

I spent more time than I want to admit in El Centro while in the Navy. Probably have about 1 1/2 years total time in that place.

Best thing about El Centro was it was 90 minutes from San Diego.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

I don't know exactly how "rated" it is but Mrytle Beach was not my cup of tea whatsoever. Hooters and overpriced golf. Many people love that place though.

Orlando is awful, but so is all of Florida outside of Miami, based on my experience so far.

Vegas, you either love it or you hate it. I'm not a fan.

My wife and I did a week in CO a couple years ago. 3 nights in Denver. 2 a piece in Boulder and Estes Park. Loved Denver, Estes Park was beautiful. Boulder however is basically Storrs with Mountains. Not overly special.

Reaction Score
I lived in Denver for a year and liked it much better than I expected to, and it has only improved in all respects in the 30(!) years since. Like @Lefty2one , I thought I would hate being away from the water because I had previously only lived on the east and west coasts. It took very little time to start appreciating all the Rockies had to offer, and I quickly found that seeing them in my front or rear view every day did a great job of replacing that sense of majesty that the coast also holds for me.

As I posted in the underrated thread, I probably prefer Fort Collins because it is a cool little college town (Colorado State University) that is just as well located vis-a-vis the Rockies as both Denver and Boulder but it doesn’t have the pretense. The absolute best thing about all of them is the ready access to so much great outdoor recreation stuff like skiing, hiking, biking, etc. so if that’s not your thing Colorado in general is probably not your place. It’s a very outdoorsy place in general.
Yeah. I thought the beer and bar scene was great. We went to a really cool speakeasy before dinner. The ball park being downtown. The area around the train station. And the people all had a cool vibe. Healthy living. Peaceful. Amazing backdrop. That's why I was surprised it was in this thread.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Two out of three. San Francisco would top my overrated list. When I lived in/near San Jose friends came out from KC and we went to San Francisco. They were appalled at how filthy, smelly and gross it was. So little greenery too. Few trees. It’s now 10x worse. It looks really nice from helicopter shots in movies. The natural setting is spectacular.

DC stinks. Didn’t know people liked it. I’d put NYC high on my overrated list. Austin is probably overrated at present, even if it wasn’t some years ago. Portland OR and Seattle are now overrated and in decline. Seattle was terrific in the 90s.

I love New Orleans except Bourbon street. It’s charm is elsewhere. No place that lets you carry your drink out into the street can be called overrated. That alone means it should be exalted. Add fantatsic music, food and gorgeous old homes.

I've said many times, New Orleans is a great place for a weekend. You get in there, do 2 days of tours, 2 nights of good dining, one night of whooping it up in the French Quarter and then you realize the whole city smells and stinks like urine.

Give it two to three years and your memory fades so you do it again. And it's the same results.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I really disliked San Fran for all the reasons you said. Of course my week in San Fran was in October immediately after spending 10 days in San Diego. And San Diego is one of my top 5 places in the US.

Reaction Score
I've said many times, New Orleans is a great place for a weekend. You get in there, do 2 days of tours, 2 nights of good dining, one night of whooping it up in the French Quarter and then you realize the whole city smells and stinks like urine.

Give it two to three years and your memory fades so you do it again. And it's the same results.

When I get home from New Orleans I want to take a shower and eat a salad.

Overrated city: Austin.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah. I thought the beer and bar scene was great. We went to a really cool speakeasy before dinner. The ball park being downtown. The area around the train station. And the people all had a cool vibe. Healthy living. Peaceful. Amazing backdrop. That's why I was surprised it was in this thread.
Unfortunately my favorite spot, El Chapultepec, closed in December:

Reaction Score

At one point, maybe 15-20 years ago....New Orleans had 4 of the top 10 restaurants in the US. Stay away from the 3 for 1 drink spots and focus on eating and you're good.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
At one point, maybe 15-20 years ago....New Orleans had 4 of the top 10 restaurants in the US. Stay away from the 3 for 1 drink spots and focus on eating and you're good.

But those hurricanes go down so good. And don't taste too bad at 4am when they come back up and you,re gripping the porcelain goddess.

Also, that's like telling someone to enjoy Vegas but stay away from the one armed bandits.

But, you are not wrong. If you go in there with a game plan and want to focus on the dining, you'll do great. You'll also smell like piss.

Reaction Score
I just looked it up and the speakeasy was Green Russell.

On Larimer street, great bar. I was there about a month before everything got locked down. Denver's fun, I'd definitely consider relocating there for the right opportunity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom