OT: no dribbling, no backboards and absolutely no defense! | The Boneyard

OT: no dribbling, no backboards and absolutely no defense!

Reaction Score
Looks like they draw fans “down under”.
Lack of fan support at that level would spell success for the WNBA.
But I don’t see it happening.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I lived in New Zealand for a couple of years, was able to get into some of the local sports...Rugby, even cricket clearly have their virtues...and Aussie Rules football is fun.

But Netball...only played by woman, a disgrace of an endeavor.

Far inferior (and related) to old time woman's BB.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Huh. Looks like a few players forgot they can't play D and actually challenged a shot. But all you have to do is wait for them to remember, then you get a wide open look at the bucket. It does appear you can ACTUALLY PLAY DEFENSE on a pass. There were some fairly athletic steals made on long passes. And something that sort of resembled a fast break. Did a player trying to give 2 of her teammates a wet willie on the bench make the highlight reel?!

This is basically ultimate frisbee but with a basketball.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Australia possesses both unique animals and unique sports. I am most familiar with Australian Rules Football which is played on an oval field and includes advancing a rugby type ball down the field by running with it, kicking it, dribbling it and punching it forward with your hand. You score by kicking the ball through an extremely high set of goalposts. The goal judges are oddly dressed in sports coats and fedora hats.

The action is continuous in Australian Rules Football. The games are high scoring, and the attendance is usually SRO.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Australia possesses both unique animals and unique sports. I am most familiar with Australian Rules Football which is played on an oval field and includes advancing a rugby type ball down the field by running with it, kicking it, dribbling it and punching it forward with your hand. You score by kicking the ball through an extremely high set of goalposts. The goal judges are oddly dressed in sports coats and fedora hats.

The action is continuous in Australian Rules Football. The games are high scoring, and the attendance is usually SRO.
Australian Rules Football is an awesome game. Huge field. (about 180 x 150 yards)

Reaction Score
Games must have been played on ESPN the OCHO.

1660743057254.png

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
I think the game might have some popularity in the West Indies. My secretary of some years ago was from Montserrat & she played the game. She lived in the Bronx and belonged to an athletic club that featured a netball team for the the women and a cricket team for the men. She met her husband there, a cricket player from Jamaica. He turned out to be not only a great husband but a terrific cricket player. They both became US citizens, and he starred for the US National Cricket Team for years. So a sport that may seem odd to some of us played an important role in the life of a couple of really good people.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This game is not too unlike the women's game was in 1910. Net ball to me barely qualifies as a sport. It's almost laughable, but laughing would involve more energy than this sport requires.

Reaction Score
The generally accepted origins of netball are a set of modified basketball rules for women arriving in England and then being tweaked again. It then spread from there to elsewhere in the Commonwealth of Nations and there are plenty of places where it quite popular still. In Australia, it is pretty competitive with basketball in terms of overall popularity and there are a few women who play both sports simultaneously.

On the island of Britain, its existence has actually impeded acceptance of basketball, including on the men's side. Imagine if only softball existed in the United States and as is the case at the competitive level, was primarily played by women. A lot of male sports fans would reject baseball if it were introduced after that because they would perceive it as being a "women's sport". Even though baseball actually originated in England, its lack of popularity over time has caused rejection of it because British people see it as an American offshoot of rounders, which is a children's game there sort of like the scale of kickball in the United States, instead of both games having common origins with rounders never becoming a sport while baseball crossed the barrier from recreational activity to being organized under a common rule set.

Reaction Score
Fellow BY residents, I do not agree with how many of you are knocking the wonderful game of netball. Breaks my heart and I truly believe that if you understood the rules, and played the game, you’d love it. Also, I know that the competition and rivalry amongst schools and clubs in Jamaica is just as fierce as what we see in WBB (high school, AAU, college) here in America.
Also, similarly to what @BlueDolphin stated above, for several years, there was a healthy, vibrant netball team and cricket team in Hartford. The cricketers met in Keney Park, while the women met and practiced near the Seveth Day Church on Woodland Street.

PS: I don’t know the current status of the teams since I’ve moved away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom