OT: Nike was very much like, ‘Nah, we’re good,’ when it came to renewing Rutgers’ apparel deal. | The Boneyard

OT: Nike was very much like, ‘Nah, we’re good,’ when it came to renewing Rutgers’ apparel deal.

Reaction Score
Bryan Fischer ‏@BryanDFischer 2h2 hours ago
Nike was very much like, ‘Nah, we’re good,’ when it came to renewing Rutgers’ apparel deal:
Rutgers agrees to big-money Adidas apparel deal

>>Rutgers' deal with Nike was worth a total of $5.2 million in apparel compensation and a base payment of $130,000 annually, according to a contract obtained by NJ Advance Media through the university's Open Public Records office.

Sources say the Nike renewal deal never gained serious traction. Although Nike had the right of first refusal, the Oregon-based shoe company declined that option, a source said. Nike's offer to Rutgers was to keep Rutgers' annual compensation at $1.1 million, according to multiple sources.<<

Reaction Score
I had a conversation with Kyle Muncy last season at Rentschler. I asked him about when they start to negotiate the next shoe/apparel contract and if they would re-up with Nike or maybe move on to UA or Addidas. He was VERY confident the Nike deal would be renewed and that UA was too tapped out from recent deals (some of which were mentioned in this article) to match what Nike will offer. He also went on to say that UConn branded Nike stuff sells VERY well and UConn is one of there better selling branded schools.

Reaction Score
I had a conversation with Kyle Muncy last season at Rentschler. I asked him about when they start to negotiate the next shoe/apparel contract and if they would re-up with Nike or maybe move on to UA or Addidas. He was VERY confident the Nike deal would be renewed and that UA was too tapped out from recent deals (some of which were mentioned in this article) to match what Nike will offer. He also went on to say that UConn branded Nike stuff sells VERY well and UConn is one of there better selling branded schools.

If that's the case, there better be a whopping uptick in annual compensation to the University come renewal time.

Reaction Score
Open in "incognito window" to avoid sign in noise: What Rutgers' impending deal with Adidas might mean

>>He explained that an apparel company looks for three things from an affiliated college---“how much product are you going to sell,” Katz said, “how much exposure are you going to get and what are you doing for the (company’s) brand” in terms of prestige for being associated with that particular university.<<

Reaction Score
Maybe I read through this too quickly. This deal seems horrendous. Basically they get some free gear, get "Costco" rates on more gear, a nominal guaranteed cash amount per year, and some lucrative bonuses for each year where they win a national championship.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Maybe I read through this too quickly. This deal seems horrendous. Basically they get some free gear, get "Costco" rates on more gear, a nominal guaranteed cash amount per year, and some lucrative bonuses for each year where they win a national championship.
Nope that about summarizes it.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
So the Rutgers brand is so toxic that they have to pay someone to be associated with it? Nice. WTG Big 10. :rolleyes:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
So the Rutgers brand is so toxic that they have to pay someone to be associated with it? Nice. WTG Big 10. :rolleyes:
How many people have you seen anywhere outside of the cesspool New Jersey have you seen where Rutgers/State university of NJ apparel?

Reaction Score
Maybe when our deal is done we can get back to the traditional WHITE husky that was UConn's symbol for 75 years.
I could never understand why they took a symbol/logo exclusively UConn and traded it for something resembling about a half dozen other collegiate logos. Just never made sense to me unless somebody was trying to make some lame PC statement about diversity in regards to the color scheme.

Reaction Score
The fact that you guys still believe it is a school decision and not a Nike $$$ decision is mind-blowing. Nike moved in that direction with all of their logos and rebranded multiple schools. Look at the United States USMNT jersies, they look just like all the other Nike stuff does. If you are Uconn and Nike tells you to jump, you say how high.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How many people have you seen anywhere outside of the cesspool New Jersey have you seen where Rutgers/State university of NJ apparel?
I have to say that you are seeing a lot more RU gear in NJ. That wasn't always the case.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I could never understand why they took a symbol/logo exclusively UConn and traded it for something resembling about a half dozen other collegiate logos. Just never made sense to me unless somebody was trying to make some lame PC statement about diversity in regards to the color scheme.
There was some noise about the old Husky logo being a Samoyed and not a husky that I suspect may have contaminated the thought process. IIRC Suzie had a throw away line about the new logo being an "actual husky." FWIW, there is a difference.

SiberianHuskyNorm2.jpg

20.jpg

I look forward to an eventual "The White Dog is Back!" promotion down the road. I don't mind the new logo but I hate the costumed mascot.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but the new Husky mascot logo is superior to the old one. Go look at some old logos of other companies. They may be nostalgic but they're outdated and tired compared to their new incarnations. It's called updating the look. It's called progress.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
There was some noise about the old Husky logo being a Samoyed and not a husky that I suspect may have contaminated the thought process. IIRC Suzie had a throw away line about the new logo being an "actual husky." FWIW, there is a difference.

SiberianHuskyNorm2.jpg

View attachment 20068

I look forward to an eventual "The White Dog is Back!" promotion down the road. I don't mind the new logo but I hate the costumed mascot.

Sigh, indeed. The artist who designed the old logo confirmed he modeled after his own samoyed. I'll try to find a reference.

Reaction Score
The fact that you guys still believe it is a school decision and not a Nike $$$ decision is mind-blowing. Nike moved in that direction with all of their logos and rebranded multiple schools. Look at the United States USMNT jersies, they look just like all the other Nike stuff does. If you are Uconn and Nike tells you to jump, you say how high.

Not to mention the logo has changed 4 or 5 times over the past 50 years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom