OT: Newfoundland | The Boneyard

OT: Newfoundland

Reaction Score
We have had three over the years. Great dogs, ours were all gentle and playful but very powerful. My wife bought a kitten for my 8 year old nephew to give his mother. He came running into the room screaming that our dog ate the kitten, the dog came in after him carrying the kitten in his mouth and put it down on the floor, the kitten was very happy. This is the same dog that would routinely snap 3 in thick sticks in his mouth. They would always protect the children first, they had a tendency to pull them out of the bathtub thinking they were drowning. Then they would protect my my wife. If a stranger came around my wife our dog would always position himself between the stranger and her. Our last one weighed about 160 lbs and was over 6 ft tall when standing on his back legs.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I saw a black and white one last weekend while I was hiking with one of our dogs on the trail next to our house. My three year old Springer Spaniel was curious and unafraid, slowing her pace slightly just to check out the Newfie and his people. The Newfie was barking out of his head with a guttural bark that resonated throughout the woods long after we passed them by. The owner had him on a leash and he was up on his hind legs. He was taller than his owner and looked like he required every bit of might to hold him back. I think it was the largest dog I have ever seen in person.

Reaction Score
They are sweet, affectionate dogs for something so imposing but they generally have short life expectancies which is very tough for me as an owner. My dogs are my best friends and I couldn't imagine losing my dog at 8 years old or hitting twilight at like 6-7 years old.

We were presented with the possibility of taking in a puppy and I'm trying to get a sense if they're really as much work as people say. (And I'm with you on the life expectancy thing, although we've been told 10-12 years is pretty standard.)

Reaction Score
We were presented with the possibility of taking in a puppy and I'm trying to get a sense if they're really as much work as people say. (And I'm with you on the life expectancy thing, although we've been told 10-12 years is pretty standard.)
They are awesome dogs but they are as large as people, they shed a ton, and slobber like crazy.

They are meant to be on a lot of land in cooler climates.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Have had 3 (including one that had 11 puppies) in a long string of different breeds for pets. They are some of the most mellow dogs you will find. Truly gentle giants and absolutely great dogs. The amount of hair and slobber is no joke though. Had to replace two refrigerator compressors due the the shedding from three (despite regularly vacuuming). They all lived about ten except for one (165 lbs male) that suddenly dropped dead of a heart attack at 5 while walking... still miss this guy... they are really great dogs but I probably wouldn't get one now just due to the shedding

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
They are awesome dogs but they are as large as people, they shed a ton, and slobber like crazy.

They are meant to be on a lot of land in cooler climates.
Read my mind. And yeah, they definitely are not into summer weather in CT.

Reaction Score

Puppies are basically always a lot of work but they're puppies (cute, fun, energetic). If you want a big dog then a newfie is as good a choice as any. They shed a ton and do that whole slobber thing but they are super chill and great with the family. I have a Siberian Husky and a Chocolate Labrador and I wouldn't trade them for the world. My wife wants to get another puppy probably a black lab actually so we will likely be 3 dog household soon. Life expectancy is in the 8-10 range and that is usually based on whether they have a serious defect or genetic issue. If its a healthy one he will likely live 10 good years but you also risk a higher chance of it living much less than that, which is the sad part. Ive always wanted a Bernese and thats the only thing thats stopped me.

Reaction Score
they are really great dogs but I probably wouldn't get one now just due to the shedding

This is probably what gives me the most pause. We just sank a bunch of money into the house and I'm reluctant to take in a bear-sized animal that's going to require constant cleanup.

We've had labs and smaller to mid-size dogs but the kids are really angling for a big dog.

My wife had Great Danes as a kid but if we go that route we might as well just let a horse sleep in the guest bedroom.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is probably what gives me the most pause. We just sank a bunch of money into the house and I'm reluctant to take in a bear-sized animal that's going to require constant cleanup.

We've had labs and smaller to mid-size dogs but the kids are really angling for a big dog.

Shedding and hair everywhere just becomes the new normal. Are your kids old enough to use a vacuum? We switched over to a battery powered stick vacuum for the sake of ease and that helps keep the house cleaner. Maybe get a roomba at the same time as the puppy haha

Reaction Score
I loved our Bogart, a chocolate lab...he was a loving, and at the end, a brave dog. He played with children, was smart as a whip, would "hug" us at night before going to his bed.

I, if I would have another dog, would have a lab.

Walking down our country lane, two Pitts charged out of the woods...knocked me down and were trying to get to my head/throat...

My lab didn't know how to fight...he raced in and knocked off one dog and layed on my chest...they tore Bogie up...my screams alerted my neighbor who came with a shovel...my wife took me to the hospital while my son took the lab to the vet...I was sewed back up in various places with minor nerve damage to my hand...my facial scar isn't too bad..A lot of guys have scars..

My dog was too severely injured to live. My son went through the wood hunting until he found the Pits (they were roaming free)....He buried them in the woods. We pissed on their grave for Bogie...

I believe that dogs have the capacity to love...and even a dog that isn't a protective breed...will protect.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I loved our Bogart, a chocolate lab...he was a loving, and at the end, a brave dog. He played with children, was smart as a whip, would "hug" us at night before going to his bed.

Walking down our country lane, two Pitts charged out of the woods...knocked me down and were trying to get to my head/throat...

My lab didn't know how to fight...he raced in and knocked off one dog and layed on my chest...they tore Bogie up...my screams alerted my neighbor who came with a shovel...my wife took me to the hospital while my son took the lab to the vet...I was sewed back up with minor nerve damage to my hand...my facial scar isn't too bad..A lot of guys have scars..

My dog was too severely injured to live. My son went through the wood hunting until he found the Pits (they were roaming free)....He buried them in the woods. We pissed on their grave for Bogie...

God that's awful. Something like that happened in our old neighborhood in the middle of the afternoon. A pitbull escaped from a house and attacked a guy that was walking his beagle. Basically tore the beagle's lungs out. The guy broke his hand trying to get the pit bull off him, blood everywhere. I've never heard a grown man scream in so much anguish as his dog was basically dying in front of him.

I see all these adorable pit bull videos but that event is the reason I could never do it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah they definitely are but you know how these things go. Everyone is amped to pull their weight at the beginning and six months later BigErn is sitting out by the pool at 2:30 in the morning brushing and blowdrying the dog.
Six months?!? You've got a house full of saints if you get that out of them. I think it lasted maybe two weeks with the dog we adopted a couple months ago. And that was after we sat them down and looked each of them in the eye and made them promise to pitch in if we adopted her. In no time at all it was "She is such a pain in the ass!" "No, it's your turn!"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ive always wanted a Bernese and thats the only thing thats stopped me.
Same.

Let me lobby for my current dog's breed, Rhodesian Ridgeback. They are a big, but not huge (males @80lb.) Shedding is pretty reasonable. They shed seasonally (spring to summer, fall to winter) otherwise not much and they have relatively short hair. They are strong, fast and have a great disposition. Probably the smartest breed with which I have had experience. My current dog was the easiest dog to train. Once she understands, she understands and she's eager to please. They also are good looking with good posture and gait.

1592591723762.png

Reaction Score
Even a lab will shed some...th3y blow their coat twice ayear in Florida.

CL82

Reaction Score

My lab didn't know how to fight...he raced in and knocked off one dog and layed on my chest...they tore Bogie up...my screams alerted my neighbor who came with a shovel...my wife took me to the hospital while my son took the lab to the vet...I was sewed back up in various places with minor nerve damage to my hand...my facial scar isn't too bad..A lot of guys have scars..

I believe that dogs have the capacity to love...and even a dog that isn't a protective breed...will protect.
Sorry to hear it. That's a tough way to lose a dog.

Reaction Score
To this day...I carry when I walk in the woods...a phobia, I guess.

I hate and fear the bully breeds.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

My wife had Great Danes as a kid but if we go that route we might as well just let a horse sleep in the guest bedroom.
Funny, when we set about choosing our last dog (before the one we just adopted), my wife and kids wanted a small dog, and I really don't like small dogs (I call them "football dogs" because I say I could kick them through uprights). I realized it was a negotiation so I started at Irish Wolfhound (which I really did want, btw). We ended up at Springer Spaniel (field, not bench) and really love the breed.

CL82

Reaction Score
I realized it was a negotiation so I started at Irish Wolfhound (which I really did want, btw). We ended up at Springer Spaniel (field, not bench) and really love the breed.
A good friend has two Irish Wolfhounds. They got into his sheep pen and maimed a bunch of his sheep. I think one or two of the sheep died. They were sweet with people, though intimidating since they are big dogs.

Springer Spaniels are a great breed. Super friendly though a little high energy.

Reaction Score

My lab didn't know how to fight...he raced in and knocked off one dog and layed on my chest...they tore Bogie up...my screams alerted my neighbor who came with a shovel...my wife took me to the hospital while my son took the lab to the vet...I was sewed back up with minor nerve damage to my hand...my facial scar isn't too bad..A lot of guys have scars..

Geezus, that's like out of a horror movie. I'm sorry that happened to you and Bogart.

Reaction Score
Six months?!? You've got a house full of saints if you get that out of them. I think it lasted maybe two weeks with the dog we adopted a couple months ago. And that was after we sat them down and looked each of them in the eye and made them promise to pitch in if we adopted her. In no time at all it was "She is such a pain in the ass!" "No, it's your turn!"

Yeah I don’t know why I said six months. Six days is more realistic.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
To this day...I carry when I walk in the woods...a phobia, I guess.

I hate and fear the bully breeds.
Given your experience, totally understand your feelings. That's one of the worst dog stories I've heard not in the news.

I've had a few different types of mastiff breeds, some of which would be called bully breeds by some, that were some of the most calm, confident and stable dogs I've ever been around. I think newfs actually technically fall in this (molosser) category. They are some of the oldest breeds around. However, they are extremely strong and powerful, so you are being extremely irresponsible without a serious commitment to disciple.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Given your experience, totally understand your feelings. That's one of the worst dog stories I've heard not in the news.

I've had a few different types of mastiff breeds, some of which would be called bully breeds by some, that were some of the most calm, confident and stable dogs I've ever been around. I think newfs actually technically fall in this (molosser) category. They are some of the oldest breeds around. However, they are extremely strong and powerful, so you are being extremely irresponsible without a serious commitment to disciple.

I concur. I still miss my Dogue (de Bordeaux) - easily the best dog i ever had, especially in the face of my current PITA lab. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom