OT: most POETIC non-Dylan rock 'n roll songs? | The Boneyard

OT: most POETIC non-Dylan rock 'n roll songs?

Reaction Score
yes, rock can be poetic. Dylan has been awarded a Pulitzer and a Nobel, and top academic critics have long appreciated his work as poetry (e.g. Sir Frank Kermode and Sir Christopher Ricks). But Dylan is far from the only rock poet. What songs do you think best exhibit poetry (allusions, metaphor, word play, etc)?

here are some of my non-Dylan favorites:

Smokey Robinson "Tracks of my Tears"
Leonard Cohen "Closing Time"
Bob Seger "Against the Wind"
Jonie Mitchell "Chelsea Morning"
Gerry Goffin & Carole King "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And you think "let's spend the night together; now I need you more than ever...my, my, my" is poetry. Eye of the beholder! :)

Reaction Score
One cannot go wrong with any and all of the songs penned by Smokey Robinson. My favorite of his, a less well known song linked below. Another very good writer, more recently well known is Sixto Rodriguez who can be described as Bob Dylan with a much better voice.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
What songs do you think best exhibit poetry (allusions, metaphor, word play, etc)?

Anything by Al Yankovic is poetry. “Flowers on the Wall” by the Statler Broers. Ok! Ok! Get serious.

Bernie Taupin -- Taupin's lyrics include such songs as "Rocket Man", "Levon", "Crocodile Rock", "Honky Cat", "Tiny Dancer", "Candle in the Wind", "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting", "Bennie and the Jets", "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters", "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me", "The Bitch is Back", "Daniel", and 1970's "Your Song", their first hit. Hits in the 1980s include "I'm Still Standing", "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues", "Sad Songs", and "Nikita." In the 1990s, "The One", "Simple Life", "The Last Song", "Club at the End of the Street" and " Believe." Thanks! Wiki!

"My Girl" sung by the Temptin' Temptations written by Smokey!

Roy Orbison (written and co-written) -- As Long as I Can Dream; Blue Bayou; California Blue; Careless Heart; Congratulations (Traveling Wilburys song). Crying; Dirty World; End of the Line (Traveling Wilburys song); Go Go Go (Roy Orbison song); Handle with Care (song); Heading for the Light; In Dreams; It's Over (Roy Orbison song); Last Night (Traveling Wilburys song); Like a Ship; A Love So Beautiful; Margarita (Traveling Wilburys song); Maxine (Traveling Wilburys song); Not Alone Any More; Oh, Pretty Woman; Only the Lonely; Rattled; Running Scared (Roy Orbison song); Tweeter and the Monkey Man; What Kind of Love; You Got It

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This one is hugely open to interpretation. There are three Muses of poetry -- Erato is the muse of love poetry; Calliope, epic/heroic; and Euterpe, lyric. And then what's rock n roll music. The RnR Hall of Fame is notoriously antagonistic toward progressive/art rock, but as far as I'm concerned, that's where the best poetry in rock music is. Many of the prog rock bands had lyricists -- Keith Reid of Procol Harum; Pete Sinfield of King Crimson; Betty Thatcher of Renaissance. . .

Among my faves:

King Crimson -- C0urt of the Crimson King (not available on youtube)

Procol Harum -- A Salty Dog

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Along with Mark Knopfler and Richard Thompson, Tom Waits writes lyrics that reflect the common man and convey a mood. There are dozens of Waits songs I could post, but I find this one particularly poetic at the moment:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom