OT: Most amazing athletic accomplishment ... | The Boneyard

OT: Most amazing athletic accomplishment ...

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Alex Honnold did something no other person has ever done. He free soloed the sheer face of El Capitan. Description of El Capitan? The answer is VERTICAL. See the video below. It is not the El Cap climb. For that you must wait for the movie.

Alex Honnold has become the first climber to free-solo Yosemite’s 3,000-foot El Capitan. National Geographic first reported the achievement. Honnold climbed the route “Freerider” on El Capitan with no rope. It’s a zigzagging 30-pitch climb that has sections as hard as 5.13. He did not use any equipment, and he climbed alone. This is the first time a rock climber has ascended El Capitan without a rope. The free-solo of El Cap has long been a holy grail in the climbing world. National Geographic reports Honnold completed the ascent this morning, Saturday, June 3. The climb was “documented for an upcoming National Geographic feature film and magazine story,” the article states.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Alex Honnold did something no other person has ever done. He free soloed the sheer face of El Capitan. Description of El Capitan? The answer is VERTICAL. See the video below. It is not the El Cap climb. For that you must wait for the movie.

Alex Honnold has become the first climber to free-solo Yosemite’s 3,000-foot El Capitan. National Geographic first reported the achievement. Honnold climbed the route “Freerider” on El Capitan with no rope. It’s a zigzagging 30-pitch climb that has sections as hard as 5.13. He did not use any equipment, and he climbed alone. This is the first time a rock climber has ascended El Capitan without a rope. The free-solo of El Cap has long been a holy grail in the climbing world. National Geographic reports Honnold completed the ascent this morning, Saturday, June 3. The climb was “documented for an upcoming National Geographic feature film and magazine story,” the article states.

That is just scary sick. Especially for someone like me who is a far bigger fan of horizontal climbing.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
That is just scary sick. Especially for someone like me who is a far bigger fan of horizontal climbing.

Horizontal lying down even better. :)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

I liked his mother's attitude when she realized she could not stop him from climbing their house when he was a kid. "As long as you're up there; clean the gutters!" In the video did you notice how unbelievably relaxed he was? For El Capitan he did 60+ roped climbs in one year scouting out not only the route but choreographing EVERY single move. You may like this video as well. Some humor with Jimmy Kimmel.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Great achievement but should not encourage others to do.

With all the kids today into Xtreme Sports, I believe your warning too late. Think back to Evel Knievel. We were shocked, feared for his life, afraid the kids would try to do the same. Didn't they know he was superhuman ... well ... maybe not with all the broken bones. Now the young riders make Evel look like a hack even when considering the improvement in equipment. Not only do they make bigger and badder jumps; they do somersaults while jumping with their motorcycles. Back to Alex, Notice no one else has even tried what has done. If they had, their demise would have been mentioned. Even the world class climbers think he either has an additional part to his brain or more likely missing the brain parts that evaluate risk. Actually he trained for one year with 60+ roped climbs of El Capitan in order to choreograph and literally memorize every single move of the eventual climb. There was meticulous preparation.

When I reflect on my years between 12 to 30; I am in wonder that I am north of 70. In males the risk assessment brain parts on average complete maturing around 25 years of age. Until then males must rely on luck ... and parental prayers. Fortunately, females experience a faster maturation of the risk assessment centers.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Hmmmm.....................think I'll stick to golf. As long as no one from an adjacent hole beans me and I don't drive my golf cart in the water hazard, should be ok.

This thread makes me think of "Into Thin Air" by John Krakauer, a good read about a 1996 Mount Everest climbing disaster.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hmmmm......think I'll stick to golf. As long as no one from an adjacent hole beans me and I don't drive my golf cart in the water hazard, should be ok.

This thread makes me think of "Into Thin Air" by John Krakauer, a good read about a 1996 Mount Everest climbing disaster.
I've wanted to read this. Thanks for the reminder!

Have you read his book Into the Wild? It is a very interesting read.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Great achievement but should not encourage others to do.

In this instance, there's no danger of that.

There's little chance a normal person would get high enough on that rock to sprain their ankle if they fell. It's just a sheer rock wall.

Reaction Score

He'd kill on Ninja Warrior.

Reaction Score
If you turn the picture 90 degrees to the left---it's is actually very easy---nothing to it. Like crawling on the floor.
For me if they put 8 tether lines and an electrical wench (is that like a pirates winch ) I'd still remain on solid earth--I even worry about earth falling off --to where?? I missed that class.

Reaction Score
In this instance, there's no danger of that.

There's little chance a normal person would get high enough on that rock to sprain their ankle if they fell. It's just a sheer rock wall.
It's not about getting HIGH on the rock---it's about getting HIGH to climb the rock.

Reaction Score
Hmmmm......think I'll stick to golf. As long as no one from an adjacent hole beans me and I don't drive my golf cart in the water hazard, should be ok.

When you drive in that water--look around a bit and retrieve 40 of my clubs --I may have misplaced there!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If you turn the picture 90 degrees to the left---it's is actually very easy---nothing to it. Like crawling on the floor.
For me if they put 8 tether lines and an electrical wench (is that like a pirates winch ) I'd still remain on solid earth--I even worry about earth falling off --to where?? I missed that class.
LOL. You ain't no damn good

upload_2017-7-17_13-59-14.jpeg

How a star looks after falling off the wagon.

Reaction Score
With all the kids today into Xtreme Sports, I believe your warning too late. Think back to Evel Knievel. We were shocked, feared for his life, afraid the kids would try to do the same. Didn't they know he was superhuman ... well ... maybe not with all the broken bones. Now the young riders make Evel look like a hack even when considering the improvement in equipment. Not only do they make bigger and badder jumps; they do somersaults while jumping with their motorcycles. Back to Alex, Notice no one else has even tried what has done. If they had, their demise would have been mentioned. Even the world class climbers think he either has an additional part to his brain or more likely missing the brain parts that evaluate risk. Actually he trained for one year with 60+ roped climbs of El Capitan in order to choreograph and literally memorize every single move of the eventual climb. There was meticulous preparation.

When I reflect on my years between 12 to 30; I am in wonder that I am north of 70. In males the risk assessment brain parts on average complete maturing around 25 years of age. Until then males must rely on luck ... and parental prayers. Fortunately, females experience a faster maturation of the risk assessment centers.

Women less rick takers after 30 ?? Some! My wife took up flying after 40, my daughter departed well flying aircraft--after 30. . For me the blush of flying faded away 20 years ago.
As an advanced aged male---your assessment, and Dr Phils assessment of the Male Brain maturing as one approaches 30--lacks real research. My risky behavior continues--if you don't believe that--ride with me as I drive thru Manhattan or Quebec or Montreal highways--no risk --you don't move.
I could list the hundreds of times that should have killed me--but Rocky would post--why did you miss?

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I'm a real hero on my radio tower (120') with a climbing belt but not so great on a 6' step ladder. The face of this rock???? meshugana!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Women less rick takers after 30 ?? Some! My wife took up flying after 40, my daughter departed well flying aircraft--after 30. . For me the blush of flying faded away 20 years ago.
As an advanced aged male---your assessment, and Dr Phils assessment of the Male Brain maturing as one approaches 30--lacks real research. My risky behavior continues--if you don't believe that--ride with me as I drive thru Manhattan or Quebec or Montreal highways--no risk --you don't move.
I could list the hundreds of times that should have killed me--but Rocky would post--why did you miss?

Are you bragging or complaining? Actually, there is a difference between an average and an outlier. Are you an outlier or an out and out liar? :rolleyes: Some people's brains just don't mature properly. ;) I am guessing the words concerning your wife and daughter are saying they both took up flying after 30. Heredity can be a terrible thing. :eek:

Reaction Score
Are you bragging or complaining? Actually, there is a difference between an average and an outlier. Are you an outlier or an out and out liar? :rolleyes: Some people's brains just don't mature properly. ;) I am guessing the words concerning your wife and daughter are saying they both took up flying after 30. Heredity can be a terrible thing. :eek:
You really shouldn't talk about your heredity--in or out lying.
No lies lots of bragging---I'm proud of both of them--they are do-ers--not sitters .
Yep heredity can be terrible--in this case exceptional.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom