OT: Mizzou black football players taking a stand | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Mizzou black football players taking a stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well at least all the sensible people now know who to avoid if there's ever a boneyard meetup. Seriously. Glad I don't associate with a few of you in real life. The world is changing and you're scared, it's ok. Change is good.

Reaction Score
You guys know why many immigrants don't assimilate? Because they are usually pushed back into hanging out with their own. Many actually would like to. Their kids generally do fine. This is something that has been true for a very, very long time. What a sloppy world.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
So are the white players not joining in on this? I don't know much about this story; just noticed the specifics of the OP
I think they're playing and given the statement put out by the coach and the picture medic posted of the team together, I'm guessing all the players discussed the decision ahead of time.
You guys know why many immigrants don't assimilate? Because they are usually pushed back into hanging out with their own. This is something that has been true for a very, very long time. What a sloppy world.
sloppy?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Well at least all the sensible people now know who to avoid if there's ever a boneyard meetup. Seriously. Glad I don't associate with a few of you in real life. The world is changing and you're scared, it's ok. Change is good.

Venture over to the cesspool and then you'll actually see who to avoid. I've observed and participated in this board's political discussion for over a year and honestly, nobody who's posted in this thread is as bad as you're making them out to be. There are probably two (maybe three) legitimate racists on the entire Boneyard website.

Also, there's a correct way to argue about racial issues from a progressive perspective that actually fosters discussion and understanding from people who don't share your orientation instead of delving into invectives and ad-hominem attacks. You're not doing it. Take it from one of the most outspokenly liberal people here - shouting "all old white people are racist" and stuff like that may make you feel good, but it does the point you're trying to make no favors whatsoever. Most people here are reasonable enough to listen if you drop the grandstanding.

Reaction Score
There are probably two (maybe three) legitimate racists on the entire Boneyard website....
shouting "all old white people are racist" and stuff like that may make you feel good, but it does the point you're trying to make no favors whatsoever.

You don't have to use the N word to be racist. It's pretty obvious there are quite a few racist people here and it's pretty obvious most of them a part of the older demographic. Check the facts - boomers and silents are overwhelmingly racist as compared to their younger X and Y counterparts - especially compared to Y's.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You don't have to use the N word to be racist. It's pretty obvious there are quite a few racist people here and it's pretty obvious most of them a part of the older demographic. Check the facts - boomers and silents are overwhelmingly racist as compared to their younger X and Y counterparts - especially compared to Y's.

When did I ever mention the N word? You have a really frustrating habit of twisting other posters' words. You also make generalizations without anything to back them up. What facts am I checking? Granted, I agree that younger people are generally more aware of racial issues and think of them with more nuance. But writing off and generalizing doesn't serve you any purpose.

Then again, I probably shouldn't have expected much coming from the person who thinks that all Mansfield residents are simple-minded and self-centered NIMBYs. I'd be glad to share my HS and college GPAs, board scores, scholarship awards for the schools I got into (as well as information on the length of time my family worked for UConn and the amount which we've given to UConn athletics) to prove you wrong.

Reaction Score
^ ^ ^ ^

619-03660781em.jpg

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think they're playing and given the statement put out by the coach and the picture medic posted of the team together, I'm guessing all the players discussed the decision ahead of time.
or not...

Reaction Score
The only thing that is clear here is there is a major lack of leadership at Mizzou on all fronts.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Most people here are old and white... no surprise.

No your statement was just crap, along with this thought. You know sometimes it is better not to say the first thing that pops in your head.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
\
Change is not always for the better, just look back in history for different examples of that

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean? You're telling people to "grow up" because they're aware of and sensitive to social issues in 2015, which the old and white demographic likes to ignore. You're probably voting for Trump, too.

Sounds like you have issues with old white people. You're generalizing an entire group, or you are just a loudmouth spouting off.

Reaction Score
Would this happen if they were 9-0? Probably not.

The Mizzou admin definitely looks weak here. I think these student athletes have their heads screwed on the right way, they know they have the power to virtually hold the school hostage until they take the situation seriously. I don't think they are going too far. It's just some football games. If the school takes action against them, it will just be seen as reprisal.

Reaction Score
why are you so sensitive dude?

Because I don't appreciate being called a racist? How's that for starters?

This is why white people don't like to talk about racial issues. Because if you have an different take on an issue you get called "old white folk" by those who think they know best. It's an old and lazy argument. And it's wildly offensive and pretty weak.

Stretch Armstrong is right. I rarely agree with him but I can at least respect his opinion and his way of arguing his points.

Reaction Score
They took your advice and went out and protested..... this comment makes no sense.

Yeah my advice wasn,t to protest. My advice was to get a job, volunteer somewhere, or help a friend or neighbor who's down and out.

Stop whining, start helping!

Reaction Score
This stuf drives me crazy

Tim Wolfe
must acknowledge his white male privilege, recogniz
e that systems of oppression exist, and
provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned
Student 1950 demands.

Reaction Score
In their list of demands they want the president to publicly acknowledge his white privilege lol. President is in a no win situation. It was probably very difficult to figure out who actually yelled a racial slur out of a moving vehicle or drew a swastika on a construction site(btw isn't that more anti-semetic than it is racist?). I have read nothing that would lead me to believe there's a systemic racial problem at the university.

I've read a lot more incidents than you have. Since you know about the racial slurs I'm assuming you know what happened when walking by the frat (the person who had things thrown at them).

Look, one thing the president can do is to make a no tolerance policy. A lot of schools have it. If you make any racially hostile remarks, you're gone. At Brown, you had multiple witnesses testify against a student, and he was tossed.

This is the sort of thing you can do if you're a president.

Reaction Score
I was raised to be accountable, never make excuses, attack challenges head on, life is tough you're not a victim. Maybe I should raise my 2 young children to play the victim game, blame others, make lots of excuses; it seems to be working better.

You're black?

Reaction Score
What exactly did they expect him to do?

It's an odd place to draw a line in the sand and it's even odder to expect that the president is going to resign.

Missouri is probably best off refusing to let the inmates run the asylum.

I agree.

But one can also argue the president brought this on himself.

He dismissed their concerns. Plead ignorant.

No wonder it backfired on him. He's in this position because of his own failure.

Reaction Score
Yeah my advice wasn,t to protest. My advice was to get a job, volunteer somewhere, or help a friend or neighbor who's down and out.

Stop whining, start helping!

?????

You want Missouri football players to apply for a job at Walmart in order to address racial incidents on Walmart's campus?

They've chosen a highly effective way of getting the problems addressed--even if I think their demands are for the Pres's situation are out of line.

Reaction Score
In this thread, people are responding in every possible way to the student protest, when the fact of the matter is the protest is actually about highly specific changes that have been spelled out already (long ago) and never made.

So... this isn't necessarily the place to discuss race relations in America especially when we have detailed specific policy proposals that are at the very center and heart of this discussion.

It makes no sense to characterize this as some sort of racial temper tantrum when the stakes are clearly spelled out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom