OT Jon Rahm to LIV | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Jon Rahm to LIV

Reaction Score
I’m not a golfer because the few times I played I was awful, lost everyone’s golf balls and generally just humiliated myself. I’d love to be an even below average novice if it was possible.

Maybe a real golf fan can explain this to me. I thought that they were merging with the PGA tour? If so, why are they still signing players and at crazy amounts? If they are merged couldn’t they just pay them in a similar way the tour does with a pool of money? Also, what sucks so much about the product? (Other than the fact that it’s golf on TV)

Reaction Score
There have been a lot of articles about a possible deal between the PGA and LIV...maybe finalizing by the end of December. I'm a bit surprised that Rahm isn't waiting till he knows what that deal is. Perhaps now banking
on light punishments for LIV players regarding major/big deal events? Due to his success in majors he will be eligible for a couple more years.,,,after that...who knows? He has often stated that he wants his career to be remembered for
major wins. LIV wins won't mean a thing as it stands.

Nobody watches....small fields.. with only a few elite/star type players: notably Rahm/Dustin Johnson/Brooks Koepka
Bryson DeChambeau and a smidge of others. The PGA is hurting itself by outright banning these players
from majors and other elite tourneys. IMO...something has to be worked out so the best play against the best
as often as possible. Details up to both parties...sooner than later.

I just hope any deal leaves the PGA/USGA and the British organization in charge of all major
decisions...not LIV.

Dump the silly season team events now in LIV....dump the music too.
Pro men's golf: Ryder Cup is THE one and only 'team event' that matters.

I love golf and will be watching the majors and other bigtime events...but they need to have
the best entered....whether they are now LIV players or not.
They are working on some sort of merger in which the PGA will manage the LIV product, supposedly they are close to finalizing.

As for Rahm, not hard to understand. First, while LIV has not taken off in the US, it has done very well in Europe. Maybe Rahm wants to spend more time in Spain? He has a one year old or so and maybe others to come? So this could be part of his plan and this move provides him more flexibility (the PGA Tour now fines players who don’t play a minimum number of events each year).

Since he won the Masters, he can play there for as long as he wants and he is automatically qualified to be in the field for the three other majors for the next 5 years. Ryder Cup is not guaranteed though but maybe he’s thinking that this merger deal will address that issue?

Oh, and at least $300 million other reasons plus the ability to own and manage his own LIV team

Reaction Score
There have been a lot of articles about a possible deal between the PGA and LIV...maybe finalizing by the end of December. I'm a bit surprised that Rahm isn't waiting till he knows what that deal is. Perhaps now banking
on light punishments for LIV players regarding major/big deal events? Due to his success in majors he will be eligible for a couple more years.,,,after that...who knows? He has often stated that he wants his career to be remembered for

Nobody watches....small fields.. with only a few elite/star type players: notably Rahm/Dustin Johnson/Brooks Koepka
Bryson DeChambeau and a smidge of others. The PGA is hurting itself by outright banning these players
from majors and other elite tourneys.
IMO...something has to be worked out so the best play against the best

I just hope any deal leaves the PGA/USGA and the British organization in charge of all major
decisions...not LIV.

I love golf and will be watching the majors and other bigtime events...but they need to have
The PGA does not control access to any of the majors. That would be up to the USGA, the R&A, the PGA of America (different organization), and the Masters Committee.

I agree with your point, though. The PGA tour is definitely hurting without some of these players in the field. Losing Rahm will hurt too.

Reaction Score
I’m not a golfer because the few times I played I was awful, lost everyone’s golf balls and generally just humiliated myself. I’d love to be an even below average novice if it was possible.

Maybe a real golf fan can explain this to me. I thought that they were merging with the PGA tour? If so, why are they still signing players and at crazy amounts? If they are merged couldn’t they just pay them in a similar way the tour does with a pool of money? Also, what sucks so much about the product? (Other than the fact that it’s golf on TV)
It's guys walking and then standing there hitting a ball. I can see how it's boring to many.

Reaction Score

from majors and other elite tourneys. IMO...something has to be worked out so the best play against the best

decisions...not LIV.

I love playing, and have played for over 60 years. That said, I hope LIV screws up everything. Sometimes a little humility is needed to start fixing things, and neither LIV nor the PGA have any.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
Doesn’t change the fact that LIV is a terrible product that nobody watches. Rahm isn’t going to change that
but he'll play less golf and be much richer
plus, the Euro's will now change their Ryder Cup rules so he can play
not bad at all

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Rahm grabbed his bag of cash. I have no problem with that. He will still be in three majors every year (maybe all four). Eventually there will be some type of merger and he will still have his cash. I haven't watched much LIV golf and I don't care for the format but I have no problem with players taking the money. It is professional sports.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
Really interested to see what this starts doing to tournaments on the tour, tickets sales/sponsorships are going to be impacted greatly. Not good, I enjoy a competitive field every year at Travelers and Valspar.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
If you can build the business case I'm sure they'll jump:

Business case?? Do you think there is a business case to LIV?? They are hemorraghing cash at an alarming rate. There are no TV dollars. No spectator dollars to speak of. And they are already into it for multiple billions of dollars. There is nothing to this that has anything to do with business.

Reaction Score
Business case?? Do you think there is a business case to LIV?? They are hemorraghing cash at an alarming rate. There are no TV dollars. No spectator dollars to speak of. And they are already into it for multiple billions of dollars. There is nothing to this that has anything to do with business.
Calm down Buddy.

The business case is influence and ROI, which is entirely driven by business.

The Saudis are not just hemorrhaging cash; they have an economical outlook past their oil reserves. Same as the U.A.E.

The Saudis are one of the leaders in alternative energy research, with Hydrogen and carbon capture methods.

They are already on track for most of their energy consumption to be sourced on renewable energies by 2030.

Reaction Score
I'm just a casual golf fan. I watch the majors and other assorted PGA tournaments especially Travelers. Player movement doesn't move the needle for me any more. I can't fault Rahm for taking the money especially after the PGA left Rory to wither on the vine.

Reaction Score

I think this is probably to help with final negotiations. The two organizations have an agreement and they are just hammering out final details as far as i know. I think LIV continuing to sign players helps their negotiating leverage

Reaction Score
Calm down Buddy.

The business case is influence and ROI, which is entirely driven by business.

The Saudis are not just hemorrhaging cash; they have an economical outlook past their oil reserves. Same as the U.A.E.

The Saudis are one of the leaders in alternative energy research, with Hydrogen and carbon capture methods.

They are already on track for most of their energy consumption to be sourced on renewable energies by 2030.
You obviously don’t understand business. There is NO ROI on this “investment” by the Saudi’s. There is no path to an ROI. They are just dumping cash into this. Period.

“Influence” is not ROI. Nothing that you discussed about their energy has anything to do with the profitability or viability of the money they are dumping into LIV. I can’t believe I am even arguing about this with you. There is ZERO business case to their investment in Liv.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's guys walking and then standing there hitting a ball. I can see how it's boring to many.

Even Rahm said, the total time during a round he is actually swinging a club is less than 5 minutes.

Reaction Score
If he has any legacy concerns left... he is working on a ten-year exemption for the US Open, lifetime exemption for the Masters and 5 years for the Open Championship and the PGA as he is heading into his thirties. Amazing what money does, enough of it can make an astronaut tell you the earth is flat. Isn't that right Jon?

Reaction Score
Really interested to see what this starts doing to tournaments on the tour, tickets sales/sponsorships are going to be impacted greatly. Not good, I enjoy a competitive field every year at Travelers and Valspar.
Wells Fargo wanted to stay in but didn't want to pay what the Tour was asking. Rham's contract is for three years, his advisors and he probably betting things will be resolved/ merged by then?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You obviously don’t understand business. There is NO ROI on this “investment” by the Saudi’s. There is no path to an ROI. They are just dumping cash into this. Period.

“Influence” is not ROI. Nothing that you discussed about their energy has anything to do with the profitability or viability of the money they are dumping into LIV. I can’t believe I am even arguing about this with you. There is ZERO business case to their investment in Liv.
Ok, I know nothing of business. Lol

I just love when a fool says "obviously", and continues on without a counter argument. You also misquoted me, as I said influence, followed by the operator "&", then ROI. Oh, and here is some reading for your sleepy processing power: Return on Influence, the New ROI

I just explained to you their 2030 plan, and how their model is adjacent to the U.A.E.

Energy Independence is step 1, sport and attraction is step 2--this includes side shows like tyson Fury, all the way to Rinaldo, and step 3 is construction of "The Line". This is chess, not checkers. Influence is the ultimate compliment to ROI. Its ever the same, but in the real world you need both to move the needle.

Poe

Reaction Score
Isn’t competition good? Not sure what the big deal is, if the pga is concerned they’re going to have to evolve and figure out a way to keep the top players.

The league with the top players (and bigger $) is going to attract the next generation of top players, regardless of the format/tradition/location.

Reaction Score
but he'll play less golf and be much richer
plus, the Euro's will now change their Ryder Cup rules so he can play
not bad at all
Not faulting him for taking $

LIV Golf is just horrendous product. I can’t take people seriously who think otherwise

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
isn't the Travelers one of the "main" events that the players are forced into playing?
if you miss too many, they fine you?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom