OT: Jacobs...transgender girl...track | The Boneyard

OT: Jacobs...transgender girl...track

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Sports - Hartford Courant

I hope this link works without wading thru too much. It goes to an article in today's Courant...an opinion piece by Jeff Jacobs after Yearwood won her class state championships in the 100 and 200 meters. Jeff raises some questions and admits he doesn't have the answers.

Apparently everybody at the meet acted without rancor. Kate Hall...the second place finisher in the 100 acted with 'grace' according to Jacobs.

'Fairness' maybe a bit hard to define here....at least for some. Kate does say that she is hesitant to say what she really thinks. I suspect that means that she doesn't want to be called a bigot or hater by folks by saying anything at all with any objection to Andraya's entrance in the meet.

Yearwood's Dad says it is not about 'competition' but about Andraya being happy. He does seem to suggest that if this were a case of a senior boy identifying as a girl and competing for a women's track scholarship it would be different.

Jacobs writes that Andraya has not begun hormone treatments yet.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good article. Tough situation. Is it fair? Probably not. Is fairness the most important thing? Hard to say.

Reaction Score
The girls work hard all year long to qualify and run in that meet. I guarantee that if the girls and their families were honest, they would say it's not fair.

Would we think it was fair to our girls if they lost in the NCAA finals for the same reason?

Being fair to one individual at the expense of 7 other individuals is not FAIR!!

Sadly, fairness and political correctness are mutually exclusive of each other.

Political correctness should end at the point where one person gains a competitive advantage because that is not fair!

Reaction Score
The girls work hard all year long to qualify and run in that meet. I guarantee that if the girls and their families were honest, they would say it's not fair.

Would we think it was fair to our girls if they lost in the NCAA finals for the same reason?

Being fair to one individual at the expense of 7 other individuals is not FAIR!!

Sadly, fairness and political correctness are mutually exclusive of each other.

Political correctness should end at the point where one person gains a competitive advantage because that is not fair!

I think we may have lost in the NCAA tournament one time to a player with a y chromosome.

BTW, I'll grant that I have no direct evidence, only circumstantial. But if it is true, I think it was unfair.

Also btw, the Olympic used to test the sex of the athletes. They no longer do.

Some may understand who I am referring to here. I will not name the player.

Reaction Score
Sports - Hartford Courant

I hope this link works without wading thru too much. It goes to an article in today's Courant...an opinion piece by Jeff Jacobs after Yearwood won her class state championships in the 100 and 200 meters. Jeff raises some questions and admits he doesn't have the answers.

Apparently everybody at the meet acted without rancor. Kate Hall...the second place finisher in the 100 acted with 'grace' according to Jacobs.

'Fairness' maybe a bit hard to define here....at least for some. Kate does say that she is hesitant to say what she really thinks. I suspect that means that she doesn't want to be called a bigot or hater by folks by saying anything at all with any objection to Andraya's entrance in the meet.

Yearwood's Dad says it is not about 'competition' but about Andraya being happy. He does seem to suggest that if this were a case of a senior boy identifying as a girl and competing for a women's track scholarship it would be different.

Jacobs writes that Andraya has not begun hormone treatments yet.

It is definitely not fair to the girls on the team. It is a male competing against girls. Look at the difference in body mass.

Reaction Score
UConn practices against male practice players; however, if they played against male players in actual games, they would get destroyed. UConn women's basketball is the best ever. Playing against males would be unfair. It's not hateful or prejudiced; it is the truth.

Reaction Score
Good article. Tough situation. Is it fair? Probably not. Is fairness the most important thing? Hard to say.

Is it fair? Obviously not.

Is fairness the most important thing? If it isn't then why should we bother with ped testing?

And on the subject of drug testing - aren't women athletes routinely tested for testosterone levels and
disqualified if the level is too high? Why should it make a difference if the testosterone is naturally
produced (at levels 10 times normal) rather than injected?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Is fairness the most important thing? If it isn't then why should we bother with ped testing?
Good point. I think one can make an argument for not testing PED. Allow them to use them if they want. You can use glasses/contacts to see better. Tar on bats to get better grip. Swimming caps. Wax skis. Aerodynamic helmets in cycling. Etc. etc. etc. Why are some performance enhancements allowed, others not??

Reaction Score
. . . I think one can make an argument for not testing PED. . .

You could make that argument, but the IOC wouldn't buy it, because in denying the use of PEDs they wouldn't be
risking being ostracized for being illiberal, uncaring, and uncompassionate. By denying men the opportunity to
compete against biological women they would be risking that horrific consequence. Being called an idiot is
nothing at all by comparison.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You could make that argument, but the IOC wouldn't buy it, because in denying the use of PEDs they wouldn't be
risking being ostracized for being illiberal, uncaring, and uncompassionate. By denying men the opportunity to
compete against biological women they would be risking that horrific consequence. Being called an idiot is
nothing at all by comparison.
Not sure what you are trying to say, but I think you missed my point. Allow PED's. (not just not test for them)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It's clearly not fair. Until someone switching from male to female has undergone significant hormone therapy, they should have to run against male competition. This is PC run amok.
I'm not sure what "PC" has to do with it - other than that, I agree there is a basic unfairness in allowing a biological male to compete against biological females. After hormone therapy, it would be different.

The problem is trying to separate respecting the individual's sexual identification and respecting the athletic competition. And, like Jeff Jacobs, I don't know what the answer is. But "PC" only means she deserves to be respected, it doesn't define the details.

Reaction Score
There are always potential unforeseen consequences to legislating rights that deal with exceptional circumstances. The resulting precedent usually ends up opening a can of worms that results in disaster. The line keeps moving until we get beyond the absurd.

Will this end up negating any positives gains that resulted from Title Nine?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom