meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
1958. Queen of Rockabilly

Hard Headed Woman - Wanda Jackson

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
It's my understanding they recorded this in New Haven. Band eventually became the 5 Satins. I rode with one of the members, Don Simpson, tho I think he joined the band later.

Reaction Score

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
To me, retro carries a little bit of dated connotation. I have many favorites that fit that description. Someone has already mentioned the Moody Blues; Donovan is another that comes immediately to mind:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I heard a spot on NPR recently saying that progressive rock died around 1980. I never got the memo, nor did many fans of Marillion, After Forever, Ayreon, etc. But since it's offiially dead, here's one from Camel, featuring the retro Tolkien references:

Reaction Score
There were many a good instrumental back in the late 50's & early 60's:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Back in the day, while crooners were putting out traditional songs, behind the curtain, there'd be a doo wop group too. This one was put out by Les Paul & Mary Ford, Gene Autry, and later Anne Murray.
Here's the Drifters with the same, first of several

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
And of course, the great Tony Williams.

Mr. Tony Williams.....one of the smoothest voices of all time. I love this song. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score

Long before the Jackson 5, it was Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers. Their doowop style of music was just as popular as the Jackson's music of their day.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Wow.........Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I haven't heard some of these songs in over 50 years. I can happily report that I'm not suffering from Alzheimer's because I remember most these songs and the words. Those songs remind me of happy days when life was less complicated, and gasoline was 15 cents a gallon, and ALL service stations were "full service" gas stations.

I remember when these songs were on the top 40 play list on our local radio stations here in So. Cal. No doubt cities across the country had their own local radio stations that played top 40 music. No matter where you grew up, you heard most of these songs when they were new, and not "oldies". Surprised no one has mentioned "The Doors". I loved Jim Morrison. He was a very special talent. So was Brenda Lee. Most of us have seen Brenda through the years, but not like this. She started singing and entertaining very early .

I particularly love and remembered the doo wop era music. A genre all it's own. I remember seeing Elvis make his debut on The Ed Sullivan Show in Sept of 1956. Not to mention the local dance shows on TV geared towards teenagers. We had those too. Everyone remembers American Bandstand with the ageless Dick Clark.

Bandstand at first was a regional show from Philadelphia in 1952. But it soon became the highest rated local daytime TV show in the nation, and that got the attention of network executives in New York. By August 1957, now called American Bandstand, ABC began broadcasting the show nationwide at 3 p.m. for an hour-and-a-half. If you were a musician (solo or a group), you wanted to appear on "Bandstand" or the Ed Sullivan Show, especially after Bandstand went nationwide AB was the the "cookie cutter " teen dance show that all others that followed in years to come tried to emulate. If you were a teen during this time, you watched AB!!!

And we all remember this guy....................... If he doesn't make you laugh, better check your pulse, you may be dead. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom