OT: Hilton Head vs Amelia Island vacation | The Boneyard

OT: Hilton Head vs Amelia Island vacation

Reaction Score
Thinking between the 2 for a family vacation this summer. My wife and I and my 2 sons. Looking for a resort with golf availability and access to ocean / pools. I realize both places have all of these requirements, but looking for advice on resorts/hotels and advantages / disadvantages to both areas. Also if anyone has recommendations on destinations similar to above areas, I would appreciate hearing about them. thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
The golf in Amelia Island is fine but Hilton Head is much better. There is more going on at HHI as well. Amelia Island is quieter with less hustle and bustle. In my opinion you can't make a bad decision. There can be a fair amount of jellyfish in July and August. Not killer jellyfish but be prepared to get stung a couple of times.

If golf is a lower priority then you could consider Tybee Island as well. Just a short drive from Savannah which has some interesting attractions of its own.

Reaction Score
I agree with Peacefrog, HH has more and much better golf options (Harbor Town obviously) and is bigger with more dinning options.

I like the beach better at Amelia though.

I have stayed at the Omni in HH and the Ritz in Amelia, both very good options that are on the beach and have very good on site golf courses.

Reaction Score
Just off HH golf is a bit less expensive (if that is an issue). Food is great, plenty of diverse places to eat. Couple of BBQ joints that are awesome.

Reaction Score
Golf is better in Hilton Head, beaches are better in Amelia (less hard packed sand).
I prefer Amelia because it is quieter and more relaxing, HH is pretty commercial. That said, I really prefer the more rustic areas of the outerbanks, the breeze there is absolutely unparalleled.

Reaction Score
Going to HH on 7/4 for a week....I'll let you know. Just kidding. Love HH beaches and golf is OK to great depending upon where you play.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
HHI is definitely a superb family vacation destination.

There are very good golf courses on and off the island.

The beach runs the entire length of island (12 miles). The beach is public and great for walking and biking. Most of the beach front consists of private homes with some commercial buildings. The Island has a three floor restriction. Certainly not Kiawah or Amelia or rural outer banks but not Miami Beach or Myrtle Beach either.

Biking is terrific. Besides having a seven mile uninterrupted stretch on the beach which is great for biking, the island has 60 miles of paved bike paths, is currently adding more pathways and is considered a Silver Level Bicycle Friendly Community.

As others have said there are a lot of great dining options.

Gregg Russell has outdoor concerts several nights a week at Harbor Town and is a great entertainer for young and old alike. Shelter Cove also has night time entertainers. There is a lot of entertainment for the family. This link offers plenty of suggestions.

http://www.hiltonheadisland.org/see-and-do/

In spite of having everything available on the island (restaurants, supermarkets, bookstores, Walmart, sports bars, movies miniature golf .....) the island's stringent building codes have helped keep the island from looking commercial. Most of the commercial properties are set back from the roads and have beautiful landscaping, creating the appearance that the island is less built up than it actually is. It does make it a little difficult to find things but worth the difficulty in my opinion.

HHI is a 50 minute ride to Savannah if there isn't enough to do on the island.

If you choose HHI, consider renting a condo or home. Plenty of good options.

Reaction Score
Thanks for all the info. Greatly appreciated. Also like the other suggestions ( Tybee Island).

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
HHI is definitely is a superb family vacation destination.

There are very good golf courses on and off the island.

The beach runs the entire length of island (12 miles). The beach is public and great for walking and biking. Most of the beach front consists of private homes with some commercial buildings. The Island has a three floor restriction. Certainly not Kiawah or Amelia or rural outer banks but not Miami Beach or Myrtle Beach either.

Biking is terrific. Besides having a seven mile uninterrupted stretch on the beach which is great for biking, the island has 60 miles of paved bike paths, is currently adding more pathways and is considered a Silver Level Bicycle Friendly Community.

As others have said there are a lot of great dining options.

Gregg Russell has outdoor concerts several nights a week at Harbor Town and is a great entertainer for young and old alike. Shelter Cove also has night time entertainers. There is a lot of entertainment for the family. This link offers plenty of suggestions.

http://www.hiltonheadisland.org/see-and-do/

In spite of having everything available on the island (restaurants, supermarkets, bookstores, Walmart, sports bars, movies miniature golf .....) the island's stringent building codes have helped keep the island from looking commercial. Most of the commercial properties are set back from the roads and have beautiful landscaping, creating the appearance that the island is less built up than it actually is. It does make it a little difficult to find things but worth the difficulty in my opinion.

HHI is a 50 minute ride to Savannah if there isn't enough to do on the island.

If you choose HHI, consider renting a condo or home. Plenty of good options.
Please tell me theres another yarder who lives on or around HHI... I have lived in the bluffton / Hilton head area for the last 3 years...

Reaction Score
I have been to both several times. HH beach is a long flat beach with tide pools and calm conditions. If your kids are young this is very safe, and the kids will love the tide pools. I have stayed at the Hilton and the Westin and liked both. I have rented villas thru Island Getaway Rentals in Palmeto Dunes 3 times and had great experiences 9granted that was 10 years ago), but they are honest. HH has rainy day things to do and Savannah is always a nice one day fun outing.

I have stayed in Amelia Island Ritz Carlton a few times and it is awesome, although a stab money wise. amelia is definately much quieter than HH

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Although as someone who lives on the island I will always be hhi bias. (Moss covered trees leading to long, wide and vast white sand beaches) my folks live in the Ponte verde/St. Augustine area in florida it is gorgeous down there and their golf courses rival ours in hilton head.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Please tell me theres another yarder who lives on or around HHI... I have lived in the bluffton / Hilton head area for the last 3 years...
grew up in the area but don't live there anymore

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom