OT: High Blood Pressure | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: High Blood Pressure

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I had a similar experience in March. My blood pressure was typically low but began spiking. I used to be a marathon runner but bad knees have put me on the hiking trail instead. I tried low salt foods, reducing alcohol intake (alcohol is a diuretic and will increase your BP like Tom said) I took off some weight and it helped but didn't get me down to where I wanted to be. My Mom died of a CVA and my Father had chronic heart issues so I didn't want to take any chances. I Zoomed with my doctor, I showed him my BP readings over the course of several weeks and he prescribed lisinopril 10 mg. After 2 weeks 10 mg didn't reduce my BP low enough so we upped it to 20 mg and all is well with my BP steadily at 110/72. I do get an occasional episode of orthostatic hypotension, a common side effect, but that is manageable. By way of complete disclosure I worked for Merck, the inventor of lisinopril for 25 years and did some of the early toxicology work on lisinopril. Its a good drug with few side effects. Champs talk to your doctor and don't delay getting on some medication.

Tell me about kidney side effects. My doc said it can protect the kidney, but in kidney crisis, it'll hurt the kidneys.

I went off lisinopril a month ago, and my kidney function improved. Could be coincidence though.

Reaction Score
Take your pills and don't worry about it.
I played around with my borderline readings with doctors saying white coats made my blood pressure rise, or telling them to check the other arm, and so forth. This went on for years.

Well a few years ago I had a stroke. After a lifetime of never being on meds, I now take about 5 pills and my bp readings are excellent. I lost weight but my doctor said its really a result of the medicine.

Who am I to argue? I may be on a lifetime of these meds, but they are keeping me alive.

Long way of saying I agree with you, I take my pills and don't worry about it (because of them).

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Tell me about kidney side effects. My doc said it can protect the kidney, but in kidney crisis, it'll hurt the kidneys.

I went off lisinopril a month ago, and my kidney function improved. Could be coincidence though.
Lisinopril is excreted via kidneys and patients with reduced renal function require a dose reduction. Without knowing your condition I would say your doctor is giving you some sound advice and I would follow it.

Reaction Score
If you are "High Normal" request Lisinopril 10 mg/day...problem solved I have been on that of 15+ years and when checked my BP is completely normal.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I played around with my borderline readings with doctors saying white coats made my blood pressure rise, or telling them to check the other arm, and so forth. This went on for years.

Well a few years ago I had a stroke. After a lifetime of never being on meds, I now take about 5 pills and my bp readings are excellent. I lost weight but my doctor said its really a result of the medicine.

Who am I to argue? I may be on a lifetime of these meds, but they are keeping me alive.

Long way of saying I agree with you, I take my pills and don't worry about it (because of them).
Glad you are still with us!

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Yeah I tried Lisinopril and got the most annoying cough of my life. Thanks.
The first of the ACE inhibitors was captopril and the chronic cough was a problem. Enalapril and Lisinopril were designed to reduce the adverse effect of cough, but still cause the AE. Maybe try an ACE II inhibitor like valsartan.

Reaction Score
The first of the ACE inhibitors was captopril and the chronic cough was a problem. Enalapril and Lisinopril were designed to reduce the adverse effect of cough, but still cause the AE. Maybe try an ACE II inhibitor like valsartan.
I think there is a recall on Valsartan as it is associated with various cancers, so I would be wary of recommending that drug. Are you a physician?

Reaction Score
I think there is a recall on Valsartan as it is associated with various cancers, so I would be wary of recommending that drug. Are you a physician?

Update [11/13/2019] Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration posted a warning letter to Mylan Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in Chodavaram Village, Vizianagaram, Andhra Pradesh, India. Mylan manufactures valsartan active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) and has been one subject of an ongoing global investigation into nitrosamine impurities in angiotensin II receptor blockers (ARBs) such as valsartan, losartan and irbesartan.

The warning letter outlines several current good manufacturing practice (CGMP) deviations at this Mylan facility, including failure to have adequate written procedures for the receipt, identification and handling of raw materials and failure to adequately clean equipment and utensils. Failure to correct these deviations may result in further action by the agency. The warning letter is another result of the agency’s ongoing investigation.

FDA reminds patients taking recalled ARBs to continue taking their current medicine until their pharmacist provides a replacement or their doctor prescribes a different medication that treats the same condition.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
No I am not a physician but rather a PhD toxicologist who worked for Merck for 25 years and continue to consult. My specialty is occupational and environmental toxicology to support pharmaceutical manufacturing. Valsartan was recalled due to identification of an impurity called nitroso dimethylamine (NMBA) at very low levels. It is a known mutagen and suspect human carcinogen and it was introduced into the active ingredient during its manufacture. All companies manufacturing sartans (valsartan, losartan, irbesartan) did voluntary recalls until they could demonstrate that the NMBA impurity levels were below a safe level established by FDA and other drug regulatory agencies. There was no emergency recall, no one died and there was no "association with any cancers". As a matter of course the FDA recommended that you continue to take your medicine until your doctor could recommend an alternative. Unfortunately the recall was enough for the lawyers to start their ad campaign for class action lawsuits. So if you've taken any one of these antihypertensives and you've been diagnosed with cancer of the liver, pancreas, esophagus, stomach, colorectum or bowel or if you've had liver failure, there are class actions you can join. I didn't meant to recommend one drug over another, that is for you and your doctor to decide, but there are many hypertensives with different mechanisms of action. The most important thing is if you see consistent elevated blood pressure to see your doctor and get it taken care of.
Be well

Reaction Score
No I am not a physician but rather a PhD toxicologist who worked for Merck for 25 years and continue to consult. My specialty is occupational and environmental toxicology to support pharmaceutical manufacturing. Valsartan was recalled due to identification of an impurity called nitroso dimethylamine (NMBA) at very low levels. It is a known mutagen and suspect human carcinogen and it was introduced into the active ingredient during its manufacture. All companies manufacturing sartans (valsartan, losartan, irbesartan) did voluntary recalls until they could demonstrate that the NMBA impurity levels were below a safe level established by FDA and other drug regulatory agencies. There was no emergency recall, no one died and there was no "association with any cancers". As a matter of course the FDA recommended that you continue to take your medicine until your doctor could recommend an alternative. Unfortunately the recall was enough for the lawyers to start their ad campaign for class action lawsuits. So if you've taken any one of these antihypertensives and you've been diagnosed with cancer of the liver, pancreas, esophagus, stomach, colorectum or bowel or if you've had liver failure, there are class actions you can join. I didn't meant to recommend one drug over another, that is for you and your doctor to decide, but there are many hypertensives with different mechanisms of action. The most important thing is if you see consistent elevated blood pressure to see your doctor and get it taken care of.
Be well
Thanks for the update! I personally would not recommend any drug for a patient unless I have seen and examined them, with appropriate lab tests and ECG. I am surprised that so many people here recommend specific drugs. I think if one knows about certain meds like you do, it is great to explain the effects, side effects, and indications for such. It must be very exciting to be a toxicologist.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I am only 36 but (possibly due to Covid, possibly due to millions of other stressors and unhealthy habits) earlier this year my BP started to spike like crazy ... I was put on atenolol and also lisinopril - I am still taking both but I think the lisinopril is all I need, I think that's the one that's doing the trick.

I've changed my eating habits a good deal, something that needed to be managed anyway, and with the lisinopril daily at 10 mg my BP has been right in line.

I never had issues before March / April. This thread is great info, particularly from @Edward Sargent knowing that lisinopril is effective and fairly safe. I just got myself off of some very minor back pain meds a few months prior to this, on my own, b/c I hate taking meds consistently and hated that I was reliant on them. Then this happened and now I'm back to taking 3 different pills a day, plus my anxiety meds when needed, which is often.

I think I overall agree with the short but straightforward message of "take your pills and don't worry about it" although telling me to not worry about something, even minor, is an uphill battle, hence the anxiety meds.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Thanks for the update! I personally would not recommend any drug for a patient unless I have seen and examined them, with appropriate lab tests and ECG. I am surprised that so many people here recommend specific drugs. I think if one knows about certain meds like you do, it is great to explain the effects, side effects, and indications for such. It must be very exciting to be a toxicologist.
It is an interesting time indeed. I haven't done much with the vaccines, but have evaluated a number of different therapies for contract manufacturing labs producing actives for clinical trials. I also had to evaluate hydroxychloroquine for a client scaling up manufacture. I am not excited at how this federal administration has marginalized science however, and I cannot heap enough praise on doctors, nurses, EMTs, fire and rescue and other workers pressing on through all of this!

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I am only 36 but (possibly due to Covid, possibly due to millions of other stressors and unhealthy habits) earlier this year my BP started to spike like crazy ... I was put on atenolol and also lisinopril - I am still taking both but I think the lisinopril is all I need, I think that's the one that's doing the trick.

I've changed my eating habits a good deal, something that needed to be managed anyway, and with the lisinopril daily at 10 mg my BP has been right in line.

I never had issues before March / April. This thread is great info, particularly from @Edward Sargent knowing that lisinopril is effective and fairly safe. I just got myself off of some very minor back pain meds a few months prior to this, on my own, b/c I hate taking meds consistently and hated that I was reliant on them. Then this happened and now I'm back to taking 3 different pills a day, plus my anxiety meds when needed, which is often.

I think I overall agree with the short but straightforward message of "take your pills and don't worry about it" although telling me to not worry about something, even minor, is an uphill battle, hence the anxiety meds.
Glad you are feeling better, and you can always come on the BY for stress relief:). Seriously though a lot of us are joining you in the stress department. Its very difficult to find relaxation.
Be well,
Ed

Reaction Score
Glad you are feeling better, and you can always come on the BY for stress relief:). Seriously though a lot of us are joining you in the stress department. Its very difficult to find relaxation.
Be well,
Ed
If you are not sure of how the meds interact with each other, please consult not pnly your doctor, but also, your pharmacist. Based on their clinical knowledge of years of chemistry-based training in pharmacology, they are the ones who know this area. Also, they have access to pharmacology databases to know the properties of and the interactions with a combination of meds. Of course, listen to your doctor.

We all are stressed out. Don't know where you live, but near me, is West Rock Ridge State Park in Hamden. There is a nice shady walking path which is nice on a hot day and I went there and walked about a half hour. Then I sat on a rock and listened to music with my headset on.

I felt great doing this. It is tough with this Covid 19. I am well over 60 to be kind to myself. I get home food delivery and go out for exercise as I did today.

You are a young man. Take your meds and if they don't make you feel right, consult with your doctor. Usually dosages can be calibrated first before meds are changed.

Stay well. I always enjoy your postings and comments.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom