OT: Going to Santorini (Fira) Greece in early November. | The Boneyard

OT: Going to Santorini (Fira) Greece in early November.

Reaction Score
Wondering if any BYers have been and if you have and advice or recommendations.

Reaction Score
What’s the rest of your itinerary? Thinking about a Greece trip next April, but may add visit to Turkey also (Istanbul, Cappadocia, Ephesus)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We didn’t get to Fira when we stopped at Santorini on our cruise but we were told it’s the more beautiful, less touristy side of the island. The views are exquisite from everywhere atop the cliff.

We took the gondola up the cliff face. The donkey ride was smelly and there are, uh, droppings everywhere on the steps. A group of us took the gondola up and walked down and one lady slipped in the, uh, mess and fell into it.

If you like wine, try the local ones - they’re quite good.

0DDCA310-C0C3-4E91-BAFF-DEEA5F87ADE3.jpeg

Reaction Score
Make sure you go to Santorini proper and have lunch on a deck 1000 feet above sea level. I love Ephesus. At one point it was the second largest city in the Roman Empire. The library is still intact and magnificent. When the Meander River, from which the word is derived, which connects it to the Mediterranean, began to recede slowly over the course of hundreds of years, it brought the mosquitos, flies and disease which killed the city. It's a snapshot of history. You will see an incredible theater made out of stone. There is also a clothes market at the waters edge if you like shopping. Great knock offs. Much better than Canal Street.

Reaction Score
Akrotiri (google it) is an amazing archeological site located on Santorini. It closes from August to November. Check the schedule. Bring treats for the cats.

I agree that Ephesus is also terrific. It's where Anthony and Cleopatra went on their honeymoon. True.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Santorini is great. It is a lot to take in more than one day and the sunset and Nighttime is the best. Recommend the wine tour with the full restaurant attached _it was wonderful the name escapes me. Best part about my visits was seeing that everyone has grape vines growing in the backyard like you would see flowers typical American neighbor.
We were a little disappointed in the quality of the wines they give you on a few of the tours, but the bottles we had shipped home from the vineyards were very good. I guess they give you the cheap stuff on the tour and save the good stuff for pay.
If you are part of a tour make sure to allocate plenty of time to get back if you are going by cable car. There is so much to see and take in that people wait until the last minute which usually ends up with a long line at the cable car.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Ephesus is a must see.
If you go to ephesus try to get to Priene, Didymaion - large temple to Apollo, and Miletos. The ruins on those are amazing and no crowds at all!! I liked the crafts in Kusadasi a small bazaar compared to Istanbul. Also leather jackets are really cheap and good quality.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
For santerini, many of the stores may be closed in November, id check to see what's open. Both Fira and oia are picturesque!

Reaction Score
What’s the rest of your itinerary? Thinking about a Greece trip next April, but may add visit to Turkey also (Istanbul, Cappadocia, Ephesus)
It’s our 35th wedding anniversary. I’ve only made travel and hotel reservation so far. I’m going to book a wine tour and dinner cruise. Looking for other ideas from the wise BYers. I was told the weather is still fairly good in early November.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I hope you have the best of times. But pleaseplease let me know if you find Atlantis under some rocks while you're there. Perhaps you can ask around at the Minoan rotary clubs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom