OT: Geno | The Boneyard

OT: Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don’t watch a ton of the women but the dude can still coach. 5 or 6 season ending injuries and he just beat USC to get back to the Final Four. I believe that’s trip #23.

Incidentally, watch ten minutes of a women’s game and you’ll never complain about officiating in the men’s game again.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Happy for Geno and the women to have made it this far given the ridiculous amount of adversity due to multiple injuries to star players this season.

Unfortunately, they are going to get smoked next game. Watching Iowa St vs LSU was like watching say, X vs Nova, while watching UConn vs USC was DePaul vs G'town in comparison.

Hope they can prove me wrong, but Caitlin is basically the MJ of women's hoops right now.

Reaction Score
Happy for Geno and the women to have made it this far given the ridiculous amount of adversity due to multiple injuries to star players this season.

Unfortunately, they are going to get smoked next game. Watching Iowa St vs LSU was like watching say, X vs Nova, while watching UConn vs USC was DePaul vs G'town in comparison.

Hope they can prove me wrong, but Caitlin is basically the MJ of women's hoops right now.
Clark is incredible but she hasn't had to deal with all the season ending injuries to herself and her teammates like Paige has. They're two of the best ever in the sport. Nobody is beating South Carolina but this UConn women's team should be remembered along with the national championship teams for this final 4 accomplishment. Half the team is out with season ending injuries and they're tiny.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

UConn’s offense was the best offense I saw tonight imo. There were genuine plays and sets. LSU was HORRIBLE in transition defense for most of that game and couldn’t hit a shot for anything. I don’t expect UConn to make those mistakes against Iowa. That was one of the worst coaching performances I’ve seen by Mulkey.

I’m calling a UConn vs USC Final with USC winning because they’re too good. Caitlin is great, but Paige does literally everything. Even guarding the other teams best player.

Super excited to see that matchup.

Reaction Score
103e7261-.jpeg

Reaction Score

I can tell you don't watch much women's basketball. This is actually a favorable matchup for UConn. The teams UConn have problems with is physical teams and Iowa is definitely not that. LSU losing was a fantastic outcome.

Reaction Score
Definitely a successful season at this point. But they have a shot against Iowa.

Need one of the frosh to come up big (and Shade and Arnold have already had their moment in this tourney).

Reaction Score
I can tell you don't watch much women's basketball. This is actually a favorable matchup for UConn. The teams UConn have problems with is physical teams and Iowa is definitely not that. LSU losing was a fantastic outcome.
Or fast (so basically either South Carolina or NC State would be problematic)).

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Oh ye of little faith. And knowledge.

UConn's defense is brutal on opponents. Nika Muhl has guarded Clark before and made her life miserable. UConn's defense is more physical than you think. Clark is a volume shooter. She needed 29 shots to get 41 points. Clark will have Nika Muhl guard her. Nika has held Clark in check before and she will do it again. Don't be surprised if Arnold defends her and then they rotate Bueckers on her.. Ask JuJu watkins what its like to be guarded by UConn.

Can Iowa defend UConn's offense? USC had a real hard time with that tonight. UConn out rebounded USC and had more assists than USC. Iowa is not that good a rebounding team.

No UConn will not get smoked.

Reaction Score
Oh ye of little faith. And knowledge.

UConn's defense is brutal on opponents. Nika Muhl has guarded Clark before and made her life miserable. UConn's defense is more physical than you think. Clark is a volume shooter. She needed 29 shots to get 41 points. Clark will have Nika Muhl guard her. Nika has held Clark in check before and she will do it again. Don't be surprised if Arnold defends her and then they rotate Bueckers on her.. Ask JuJu watkins what its like to be guarded by UConn.

Can Iowa defend UConn's offense? USC had a real hard time with that tonight. UConn out rebounded USC and had more assists than USC. Iowa is not that good a rebounding team.

No UConn will not get smoked.
this is all right, but I'm not sure you can play that intensity for 40 minutes. It'll be a game, but going 40 that hard is going to catch up eventually.

Reaction Score
Definitely a successful season at this point. But they have a shot against Iowa.

Need one of the frosh to come up big (and Shade and Arnold have already had their moment in this tourney).
And usc was big

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
this is all right, but I'm not sure you can play that intensity for 40 minutes. It'll be a game, but going 40 that hard is going to catch up eventually.
Clark will be getting the world's most favorable whistle this year. Arnold won't guard her.

Reaction Score
Or fast (so basically either South Carolina or NC State would be problematic)).
Lost to both on their home court and I remember watching both games thinking, we could have won this game. Lots of missed shots. I don’t think we will win it all, but we certainly can.

Reaction Score
What are the injuries? Is it mostly dumb luck or are they overuse injuries? That’s a ton of hurt people.

Go uconn!

Reaction Score
What are the injuries? Is it mostly dumb luck or are they overuse injuries? That’s a ton of hurt people.

Go uconn!

Women ballers get hurt a lot. UConn has had a stretch of terrible luck.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Iowa is not a good defensive team. Before last night's game, they were 304th in the nation in scoring defense, allowing 71.1 points per game. UConn is 24th. Iowa's a little better when it come to FG% defense, but still not good. They're sitting at 137th. Uconn is 9th in the country. What Iowa CAN do is score. They have the #1 scoring offense in the country. UConn is #14.

We're not likely to shut down Clark, but if we can at least limit her and keep her in the 20-25 point range, we have a shot. We're going to need the Freshmen to show up and obviously, everyone needs to stay out of foul trouble.

Personally, I never expected them to reach the Final Four considering the team has been decimated by injuries. As far as I'm concerned, we're playing with house money now.

Reaction Score

Go uconn!
Probably both.

Some is random. Some is recruiting players who have previous injuries that are prone to it. Some is probably the fact that Geno loves the kids who eat/sleep/breathe basketball and nothing else and so are playing year round (Olympics, U20, whatever).

It's been unlucky but has been a little too persistent to not have a systematic component in my opinion.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

What never gets discussed is that Clark’s teammates collectively shoot 5% better than her. Five of Clark’s teammates had a better 3fg% than her during the regular season, seven teammates had a better overall percentage. Clark would be as ineffective without her teammates being so much more efficient as they are without her. Safe to say that type of volume shooting would not cut it in either a Hurley or Auriemma offense.

In contrast, Bueckers teammates collectively shoot 5% worse, with only Edwards, a post, shooting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom