OT: General knowledge test #573A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #573A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Please do no research, nor discuss politics, nor hit "reply".

1,,Who establishes the Puritans in the new world?

2,,Enemy of Lawrence of Arabia forces?

3..Within 2 years when did "In God we trust " appear on our money?

4..HQ of Coors beer?

5..What do meditators mean by the "third eye"?

6..From 2008-2016 the divorce rate has fallen 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, or 18%.

7..In 1970 what football team lost much of its membership in a plane crash, while on its
way to a game with Utah?

8..In 1957 Jimmy Hoffa is elected head of..?.

9..Our 21st Prez(?) was born in N. Fairfield, Vt.

10..In 1953 Earl Warren succeeds whom as Chief Justice?

11.."We try to hustle them, try to bustle them, try to cuss them,
The cops want someone to bust on Orleans Avenue."

12..Claim to fame of Kathryn D. Sullivan?

13..Nepal's rate of rapes jumped considerably in 2017. The official remedy?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
4. Golden Colorado
7. Marshall University
8. AFL-CIO

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
3. 1954
8. The Teamsters
9. "Silent" Cal Coolidge

Reaction Score
1. The Pilgrims
3. 1898
4. Golden CO
5. An outside, independent arbiter
6. 3%
7. Marshall
8. The Teamsters
9. Chester Arthur
10. Felix Frankfurter
13. Castration

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
1. Winthrop
2. Ottoman Turks
4. Golden, Co
5. outside party
7. Wichita State
8. teamsters union
9. Chester A. Arthur. Learned that from a truck driver in Die Hard movie
10. Frankfurter
12. NASA astronaut and scientist

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
2,,The Turks

4..Golden Colorado

5..The energy center of the body usually represented as an eye in the middle of the forehead.

6..6%

8..The Teamsters Union

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
2. Ottoman Empire (Turks)
4. Golden, CO
5. Mumbo and jumbo
8. Teamsters
9. Chester A. Arthur
10. Chief Justice Fred Vinson
12. NASA astronaut; 1st woman to walk in space

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
No one ever writes meditators. Do they?. Even spell check thinks it untoward. :confused:

Microsoft word spell check recognizes "meditator." Merriam Webster dictionary contains it. Others here recognized it.
1539615158974.png

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Microsoft word spell check recognizes "meditator." Merriam Webster dictionary contains it. Others here recognized it. View attachment 35250
I realize that to be true. I was trying (albeit unsuccessfully as evidenced by your post) to be facetious to cover up for my error in reading meditators as mediators. Even now as I type the word meditators is underlined as being incorrect. When I post reply, that underline will disappear in the posted version. Sorry but i failed my attempt at humor! Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! As one of the two that misread the word, having been humiliated by Wire Chief previously, I fall on my sword in front of all the Boneheads in the yard. The tag team assault was too much to bear! ;):p:rolleyes:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I realize that to be true. I was trying (albeit unsuccessfully as evidenced by your post) to be facetious to cover up for my error in reading meditators as mediators. Even now as I type the word meditators is underlined as being incorrect. When I post reply, that underline will disappear in the posted version. Sorry but i failed my attempt at humor! Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! As one of the two that misread the word, having been humiliated by Wire Chief previously, I fall on my sword in front of all the Boneheads in the yard. The tag team assault was too much to bear! ;):p:rolleyes:

Let me assist you in reclaiming your dignity. I knew you were being humorous.
Remember that SVC dismissed the topic as "mumbo jumbo". Therein hangs a tale.
You see we are aware from long having read his responses that the fellow has a command of facts, is logical, well organized. Probably an "A" personality, ever on the go. A classic case of a left brain dominated being.
Ideally one wants to have room in his life to experience emotion, ideation, intuition, and to have a sense of humor, all characteristics of right hemisphere functioning. To be a balanced individual.
Now in our everyday life the left hemisphere-producing beta brain waves help us function in a capitalistic world. Apparently when SVC encounters others who have access to right brain alpha waves, he has no receptivity to them. No place in his cognition for the speech and acts of those who inhabit an alternate universe.
Apparently they are not behaving as capitalists, or at least as "logical" beings.
When one does not grasp, a common response is to deem such stimuli as unworthy, It seemingly redeems ego.
The right hemisphere is what propels our painters. our sculptors. our decorators, musicians, architects et al.
And long ago meditation is what the Buddha used to gain Enlightenment

I know you and others hope that one day SVC will possess the "peace that surpasseth understanding".

Rocket puts the question to rest.

Reaction Score
I also read that as mediator. I was very curious to find out what mediators refer to as the third eye. Sounded trippier than my average experience at mediation.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Let me assist you in reclaiming your dignity. I knew you were being humorous.
Remember that SVC dismissed the topic as "mumbo jumbo". Therein hangs a tale.
You see we are aware from long having read his responses that the fellow has a command of facts, is logical, well organized. Probably an "A" personality, ever on the go. A classic case of a left brain dominated being.
Ideally one wants to have room in his life to experience emotion, ideation, intuition, and to have a sense of humor, all characteristics of right hemisphere functioning. To be a balanced individual.
Now in our everyday life the left hemisphere-producing beta brain waves help us function in a capitalistic world. Apparently when SVC encounters others who have access to right brain alpha waves, he has no receptivity to them. No place in his cognition for the speech and acts of those who inhabit an alternate universe.
Apparently they are not behaving as capitalists, or at least as "logical" beings.
When one does not grasp, a common response is to deem such stimuli as unworthy, It seemingly redeems ego.
The right hemisphere is what propels our painters. our sculptors. our decorators, musicians, architects et al.
And long ago meditation is what the Buddha used to gain Enlightenment

I know you and others hope that one day SVC will possess the "peace that surpasseth understanding".

Rocket puts the question to rest.

I guess old Buddha used that third eye, huh? And also note that "peace that surpasseth understanding" has been spell checked and found wanting. I bet the Phillipians friend Paul will pardon SVC. I did really like the mumbo, jumbo answer btw. As Cyndi Lauper said so eloquently Boneyarders just want to have fun! :p[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
zzzzz
You see we are aware from long having read his responses that the fellow has a command of facts, is logical, well organized. Probably an "A" personality, ever on the go. A classic case of a left brain dominated being. What was your first clue? Oh yeah, I mentioned having worked in information technology.

Ideally one wants to have room in his life to experience emotion, ideation, intuition, and to have a sense of humor, all characteristics of right hemisphere functioning. To be a balanced individual. Why? :confused::)

Now in our everyday life the left hemisphere-producing beta brain waves help us function in a capitalistic world. Apparently when SVC encounters others who have access to right brain alpha waves, he has no receptivity to them. Not 100% true. Mrs. SVC is quite right brained. Of course she is a babe. So the right brain thing can be tolerated. As a fellow nerd once asked: "How does a nerd like you get to marry the captain of the cheerleaders? I realized there just might be a God. :cool::D

No place in his cognition for the speech and acts of those who inhabit an alternate universe. Sheldon is my friend!:cool:

The right hemisphere is what propels our painters. our sculptors. our decorators, musicians, architects et al. Such a waste! Of course there is the nude model thing ... :p

And long ago meditation is what the Buddha used to gain Enlightenment. Buddha, Buddha! You were a prince. The Dude had it made in the shade. He blows it like a typical right brainer. He could have helped far more folks with his vast wealth. What was his "Enlightenment?" He realized the "nature of the mind." So what is this nature of the mind? It is freedom from disturbing emotions. When Buddha lived in his palace; he was free of disturbing emotions since he was unaware of them. So through meditation he comes full circle to freedom from disturbing emotions. But without the wealth!!! Poor dude! Head bang;):rolleyes:

I know you and others hope that one day SVC will possess the "peace that surpasseth understanding". Yeah, sounds like those mumbo jumbo philosophy professors who loved what I wrote just because it agreed with their lame system of belief. Like a good left brainer, all I wanted was a good grade and be free to take a class from which I could learn something useful. ;):):rolleyes:An afterthought compels me to admit the philosophy department did provide symbolic logic classes which I thoroughly enjoyed and did helped me get my first job in IT.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Now in our everyday life the left hemisphere-producing beta brain waves help us function in a capitalistic world. Apparently when SVC encounters others who have access to right brain alpha waves, he has no receptivity to them. Not 100% true. Mrs. SVC is quite right brained. Of course she is a babe. So the right brain thing can be tolerated. As a fellow nerd once asked: "How does a nerd like you get to marry the captain of the cheerleaders? I realized there just might be a God. :cool::D

I know exactly how you feel. As a physicist with limited social graces, I wake up every day thanking my lucky stars for my wife and wondering how on earth she wound up with me. What ever I did, evidently I've kept doing it, and I intend to keep it up.

I know you and others hope that one day SVC will possess the "peace that surpasseth understanding". Yeah, sounds like those mumbo jumbo philosophy professors who loved what I wrote just because it agreed with their lame system of belief. Like a good left brainer, all I wanted was a good grade and be free to take a class from which I could learn something useful. ;):):rolleyes:An afterthought compels me to admit the philosophy department did provide symbolic logic classes which I thoroughly enjoyed and did helped me get my first job in IT.

I took logic from the math department. It was one of the few courses in the math department (of a liberal arts college) beyond intro calculus and linear algebra that had any content I could use in real life. DiffEq, advanced calculus (vector, etc.), group theory: I had to re-learn all of them in physics classes because we weren't taught how to SOLVE anything in them in the math department.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Since we have two hemispheres, and they tend to complement each other, it stands to reason that the person that refines both benefits the most. Many people tend to display tendencies toward one over the other. But ultimately the quest to fully expand all aspects of one's mind should be pursued. The most interesting figures in history were those who sought knowledge in many fields of endeavor. While one might choose to concentrate on a few subjects to further their working careers, those who branch out in their personal lives seem to be the most contented. Fortunately, there is room for all under the sun.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Since we have two hemispheres, and they tend to complement each other, it stands to reason that the person that refines both benefits the most. Many people tend to display tendencies toward one over the other. But ultimately the quest to fully expand all aspects of one's mind should be pursued. The most interesting figures in history were those who sought knowledge in many fields of endeavor. While one might choose to concentrate on a few subjects to further their working careers, those who branch out in their personal lives seem to be the most contented. Fortunately, there is room for all under the sun.

Well said.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I know exactly how you feel. As a physicist with limited social graces, I wake up every day thanking my lucky stars for my wife and wondering how on earth she wound up with me. What ever I did, evidently I've kept doing it, and I intend to keep it up.
I must admit luck has played a very large role in my life from my wife to how I was hired by IBM and beyond. I never had a plan other than to do what I had a passion for. And I certainly have a passion for Mrs. SVC. In few weeks we will celebrate out 50th wedding anniversary. She is a most tolerant person! You hit it on the head, the social graces thing still has her shaking her head at times. She continually admonishes me to think what I want to but for God's sake don't say what you are thinking!
I took logic from the math department. It was one of the few courses in the math department (of a liberal arts college) beyond intro calculus and linear algebra that had any content I could use in real life. DiffEq, advanced calculus (vector, etc.), group theory: I had to re-learn all of them in physics classes because we weren't taught how to SOLVE anything in them in the math department.
Interesting. After four semesters of calculus I wondered why there were no classes for applying this knowledge. Like you, I liked solving problems. So I explored other subjects. Fortunately an engineering alumnus convinced his company to allow him to use their computer for evening information systems classes. The hard part was convincing the monks to allow him to teach the classes. There were not enough classes for a degree so I actually graduated with a degree in history. IBM was actually stressing the hiring of liberal arts majors at that time. As I said I was lucky in life. They liked a history major with classes in math, logic, and IS. Like I said no plan. Just a fortunate dude.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

I worked with a fellow who was blessed just such ability from birth. I joined an aerospace company. My workmates soon learned I enjoyed teasing them. About 6 weeks later they came to me and instructed me not to tease a workmate who was returning from a remote assignment. Carl was said to be most serious and did not appreciate teasing. He had degrees in math and art. People paid him serious shekels to paint their portraits. When he returned I walked up to all 6'4" 250 lbs. of him and announced I was pleased to finally meet the man with a degree in paint by numbers. My workmates cringed. Carl burst into laughter. We became friends and went on to co-design several technical systems. We were the same actually. We enjoy joking when not working. But were quite serious while working. His artistic bent provided some amazing solutions for the interactive aspects of our designs which admittedly I would have never thought of. My undergraduate roommate graduated with majors in both chemical engineering and english literature. Another amazing fellow.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..The Reverend Winthrop, as Bama duly shouted from his pulpit.

2..The Rockettes 4 boogie their way to Turkey.

3..1957, Pinot the closest.

4..VAUC and the inebriated five.

6..Given your selections, you will fall from your mount, when I tell you that it is a whopping18%.

7..Game highlights the film, and he has company of 3 others. But you are WRONG. Bama knows the description fits Wichita State.

8..The Game Sextet has the occupant of the Meadowlands subbasement.

9..The Knightbridge Quattro finger Chester, serving out the assassinated Garfield's term.

10..Ed4 and SVC. Two others are just hot dogs.

11..Know you not JEWELL? Then,"Who Will Save Your Soul?"

12..Bama is correct, but SVC adds that which made her famous.

13..VAUC is an old fashioned guy, so his solution reflects that. Actually the gov't opted ( I say
laughingly) to ban online .

Eleven of 13 is where you stand.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
1..The Reverend Winthrop, as Bama duly shouted from his pulpit.

2..The Rockettes 4 boogie their way to Turkey.

3..1957, Pinot the closest.

4..VAUC and the inebriated five.

6..Given your selections, you will fall from your mount, when I tell you that it is a whopping18%.

7..Game highlights the film, and he has company of 3 others. But you are WRONG. Bama knows the description fits Wichita State.

8..The Game Sextet has the occupant of the Meadowlands subbasement.

9..The Knightbridge Quattro finger Chester, serving out the assassinated Garfield's term.

10..Ed4 and SVC. Two others are just hot dogs.

11..Know you not JEWELL? Then,"Who Will Save Your Soul?"

12..Bama is correct, but SVC adds that which made her famous.

13..VAUC is an old fashioned guy, so his solution reflects that. Actually the gov't opted ( I say
laughingly) to ban online .

Eleven of 13 is where you stand.
Wire Chief, I did not answer the third question, concerning the appearance of In God we trust on the money, as I did not know the correct answer. The Treasury Department web site says that it first appeared in 1864 , and it appears our Silly Old Bear was not the closest. I think Sir Grand Canyon wins the lady's finery. It appeared on paper money in 1957 as per Treasury.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom