7..Beetle Baily
8..Garfield
9..Hagar the Horrible
10..Doonesbury
11..Other

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I guess it may be because I am a tech/office drone guy but Dilbert is by far my favorite.

Voted for Garfield in the Poll since I like cynical humor. Another reason why Dilbert is my favorite.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Pickles. The cartoonist has hidden cameras around my home; without my permission.

Too funny! I have said the same thing to Mrs. SVC. For some reason we laugh at Pickles which is a bit like laughing at ourselves. :D

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not really funny, but Prince Valiant is my favorite Sunday comic. It is the longest running strip. I've been reading it for over 5 decades. Love how they will reference things that happened 30 years ago.

This one is from 1938:
1545836592054.png

Reaction Score
I read Garfield every day and have since it first started. I also love Tundra & wish it was in my paper daily instead of just Sundays. I used to read Prince Valiant every Sunday but got out of the habit. Pickles is a hoot too.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
When I was really young it was Nancy. Teen years it was BC

Reaction Score
♪♫ Deck us all with Boston Charlie♫.
How can Pogo not be included in any list of comics and cartoons?
Where's Smilin' Jack? Where are Terry and the Pirates? The Katzenjammer Kids? Where especially is The Far Side?
I second Dilbert, but even he is ignored, and he's current.

Reaction Score
With out Alley Oop the Hollywood Argyles would of had to sing some other cartoon character. How would Charlie Brown Brown-hesitation-Brown-hesitation-Brown Brown sound?:)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Where's Smilin' Jack? Where are Terry and the Pirates? The Katzenjammer Kids? Where especially is The Far Side?
Walla ,Walla Wash and a Kalamazoo. Mr Kelly was brilliant.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Pickles is very, very apt and funny. I like some of the single pane ones, for Christmas I got an Argyle Sweater calendar, there is one in our paper called (I think) Bizarro and there are a few others that always get a laugh.

Like many of you, I enjoy Dilbert. I actually like the Wizard of Id. I voted for Hagar, which I read Sundays and Garfield which I get in a daily e-mail with several others.

There was a comic called the Pirhanna Club that used to be in my Sunday paper that for some reason I thought was hysterical. It isn't there anymore.

Reaction Score
Funky Winkerbean,Hagar,The Little King,Pogo,Nancy, Out Our Way,Peanuts,Dick Tracy,Wizard of id and B.C. all my favs. Beetle Bailey the best of all time!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When I was really young it was Nancy.

It might be Nancy again. The JI runs it now, it's funny and a bit weird these days. I loved Peanuts and Doonesbury but Calvin and Hobbes is the all-time best.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Of those in the poll, Pearls Before Swine clearly for me.

All-time, Far Side, then Calvin and Hobbes, then Guindon, a single-panel that ran in the Register (originated in Minneapolis) in the ‘70 s to ‘80 s.

Dilbert and Pearls are also brilliant.

Reaction Score
We have met the enemy and he is us!

How about James Thurber for the best one off's:
lawndog.jpg

JS

Reaction Score
Going way back there.

Different eras:

When my father and his brothers were kids, they cut out the comic strips and pasted them in albums. As a kid myself, used to like reading them when I visited my grandfather's house. Captain Easy and Dick Tracy stand out. Would have to dredge the memory banks for more.

My parents knew Milt Caniff (Terry and the Pirates; Steve Canyon) at Ohio State.

My own choices, both comic books and comic strips:

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories (especially Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge et al during the time of the "good artist" Carl Barks; great adventure themes); Looney Tunes (Bugs Bunny; Elmer Fudd; et al); Little Lulu; Nancy; Superman; Batman; The Lone Ranger; Pogo (a favorite of my Dad's too; loved the mangled words).

In later years, liked Far Side; Doonesbury; Prince Valiant (still and always); Blondie; Peanuts; Beetle; Dilbert.

Eventually stopped reading the comic page, coincidentally with not reading the paper so much, transitioning to other news sources. Somehow missed out on the much-praised Pickles. It didn't even ring a bell.

But all the rest were what I recognized as my education, before and even during that more formal stuff

Reaction Score
a few more of the good comic strips that i had forgotten were Mutt and Jeff, Moon Mullins,Steve Canyon,terry and the Pirates and and from Out Our Way the best were Why Mothers Get Gray and The Worry Wart.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom