OT: doesn’t this “destroy the purity of the game”? | The Boneyard

OT: doesn’t this “destroy the purity of the game”?

Reaction Score
Didn't Geno bring some injured player on the court to score an uncontested basket for some record? I applaud the missed free throw. What would Lavar had done?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes. IMO it does destroy the purity of the game and the spirit of competition to intentionally miss a free throw. It would have been a greater tribune to actually break the record as a tribute to Street.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I tend to agree with Coco. What happens down the road if some other Hawkeye gets to that mark....and makes the next one?

Do the fans boo him? If he says that Street would want him to 'compete' and would support his effort, would fans...and/ or his parents...criticize him?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Yeah, it is the same thing!
Two different things.

One player is preserving the existing record of a beloved (and deceased) player. There was no collusion between coaches.
The other is establishing a new and bogus record rightfully owned by another.
Fortunately the fake record no longer stands.

Lots of players miss the record books because of injuries. That's just the breaks.

But then who cares - "it's just a girl's game." :(

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
When I heard about this, I initial reaction was (given the circumstances).........."that was a class act"!! Some players don't care about records or breaking them. IF that were me, I'd rather be known as the guy that didn't break the record for the reason given, than they guy that did. This is an isolated incident that I don't think the masses should really get too upset about.

I know there will always "purists" that don't feel this way, and that's OK. I'd have no problem living with the criticism. You can't be concerned about the opinions of others if you're an athlete. The greatest players in the world in their particular sport all had their detractors. You have to do what YOU feel you must do. Obviously he wanted the deceased play to retain the record. I applaud the young man. Most UConn players are not "record" driven. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
Any time any athlete in any sport who enters an arena to compete and does not put forth his/her best effort for whatever reason compromises the spirit of the sport.

Reaction Score
The scoring record has been passed by a few since then. Maya Moore, Breanna Stewart and Tina Charles all passed the record. KML tied the record. Next year Katie Lou and Napheesa will pass the record. Records are made to be broken. What if he needed that free throw to win a National Championship? Would his reaction be the same? If it is, that's too bad because he would be letting down his teammates. It's a tragedy, but at some point you have to get past it. Life moves on. How many incredible people have died, and the world moves on.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m not sure about missing free throws as a way to honor a deceased player. I prefer Bo Kimble’s way of honoring Hank Gathers, his teammate at Loyola Marymount, who died from a heart attack during a game.

Gathers was an AA caliber player and left handed shooter. During the next game after Gathers death, Kimble, who was a right-handed shooter, after being fouled in the act of shooting, calmly made both free throws shooting them left handed.

Now that’s how to honor a teammate.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Who are we to say which way honors a dead player? This player apparently thought it was a great way to do it, is close with the deceased's family, and they were there. Sounds great all around. I have to think if that free throw decided a game it would have gone differently. I have no issue with this at all.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Game. The key word.

Yeah, we fans take it seriously and we live and breathe our teams wins and losses. We take to heart our players and often see them as our kids or grandkids. But it's a GAME. Sorry. It's not real folks. It's a playground. A sandbox. Missing those free throws intentionally took more guts than making them. For me this is what the illusion of amateurism means at its very core; and yeah, amateurism in major college sports is a veneer at best. Where these kids are actually commodities. I applaud anyone that has the guts to see through the chimera to make a point about life, and yes, liberty in the pursuit of happiness.

Bravo.

JordyG

Reaction Score
When I heard about this, I initial reaction was (given the circumstances)....."that was a class act"!! Some players don't care about records or breaking them. IF that were me, I'd rather be known as the guy that didn't break the record for the reason given, than they guy that did. This is an isolated incident that I don't think the masses should really get too upset about.

I know there will always "purists" that don't feel this way, and that's OK. I'd have no problem living with the criticism. You can't be concerned about the opinions of others if you're an athlete. The greatest players in the world in their particular sport all had their detractors. You have to do what YOU feel you must do. Obviously he wanted the deceased play to retain the record. I applaud the young man. Most UConn players are not "record" driven. Go figure. :rolleyes:
Typically you and I think alike.

Reaction Score
No outrage here, just curiosity. How does anyone prove he missed the shot on purpose? :D He hit the rim short but dead on center. When someone is purposely missing a shot it is usually hard off the glass left or right, this to enable a teammate or himself to get the rebound or put back for two. ;)
Records are made to be broken or they would not be kept. The record holder met an untimely death which is sad but it has nothing to do with sports. The parents even told him to go get it.

Reaction Score
I won't put up any videos because I am sure most of the BY has seen some of them, but how do you feel about putting a down syndrome H.S. player on the football field and letting him score a TD, allowing a partially paralyzed H.S. wrestler get a win, WCSB players carrying an injured opposing player around the bases to score her homerun and on and on and on. I couldn't care less about records.... but humanity is something that can be taught to children and even adults through sports. Did anyone here ever make a bucket, score a run or a TD that has had any significance in their life? Is anyone carrying some of those wonderful lessons you learned by competing in sports? I'm done.... anyone need a soap box?

JordyG

Reaction Score
I won't put up any videos because I am sure most of the BY has seen some of them, but how do you feel about putting a down syndrome H.S. player on the football field and letting him score a TD, allowing a partially paralyzed H.S. wrestler get a win, WCSB players carrying an injured opposing player around the bases to score her homerun and on and on and on. I couldn't care less about records.... but humanity is something that can be taught to children and even adults through sports. Did anyone here ever make a bucket, score a run or a TD that has had any significance in their life? Is anyone carrying some of those wonderful lessons you learned by competing in sports? I'm done.... anyone need a soap box?
When reno tony speaks, start listening.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
When you consider that the FBI is investigating college basketball, a player tanking a free throw seems to be a pretty minor issue with regard to the integrity of the game -- not to mention the context. Now if it affected the point spread, that might be something else.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
It was an awesome thing to do, but taking credit for having done it wipes away the warm fuzzy moment. My guess is he had nothing to do with the press. If so, he gets a pass.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom