OT Different View of NIL | The Boneyard

OT Different View of NIL

Reaction Score
Field of 68 included this story a couple days ago which I think deserves to be highlighted, with all attribution to the great info they deliver. I italicized their 'copy' which is only a subset of their writing. I have viewed NIL as a benefit to the players and their families. This expanded my view. The downside is that I have always enjoyed rooting against Mich St, and for now I will have to reassess.

The squat one-story building seems to rise from the ground, colored the same as the golden earth beneath it. Structurally, it is simple. Archways carved out serve as open-air windows, and long wooden tables and chairs fill the rooms. There is, however, so much more to the Mady Sissoko Foundation School than what meets the eye. Within its walls lies the one thing people in Tangafoya crave but often can’t find. “People there, they don’t have the opportunities,’’ Sissoko says. “I got an opportunity. Ever since I came to the United States, I wanted to give that back.’’ Sissoko is sitting in the recruiting reception area upstairs at the Breslin Center. The largesse of an American athlete’s life sprawls around him – private tables to study, big-screen TVs to watch, games to play and even a cook to prepare meals. It is a life to which Sissoko has grown accustomed, even if it is not the life he imagined. At best, he thought, he might follow his oldest brother, Modibo, to France and find a job as he did, at a pharmaceutical company. He did not think, at 22, he’d be funding his village’s first school, establishing a well to provide people their first drops of running water and even an irrigation system to help with the farming. He could not envision a world where he could foster future dreams to help his community — next a tractor, who knows, maybe, someday, a hospital.

People have previously written about Michigan State center Mady Sissoko and his efforts to support his community back in Mali. He spoke about it last season when officials broke ground on the school. It opened in September, with four classrooms that can serve 60 to 70 students at a time.
There isn’t significant new news here, just a heart-warming story from Dana O’Neil about how a 22-year-old college student has raised “quite a lot” more than $50,000. And he did it with NIL.

I did think there were restrictions on NIL for international kids, but I'm for however this was worked out. I hope you folks also root for this kid.​

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Izzo should retire because this is college sports going forward.

Until Congress (ha!) imposes rules or threatens university tax exempt status, it will be the wild west.

Congress won't act until the powers behind college sports demand it because noone will want to want a crooked semi-pro league. Think a twitter/Musk situation. A product that has total free agency and only a half dozen top programs isn't going to maintain revenue let alone grow it.

This isn't the EPL or Formula 1 which gets the bulk of its revenue from parts or the world that DGA flip about US college sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr
Top Bottom